HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 14R: A Little More Less Weight Ideas . . . NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 12, 2012 10:35 AM        
14R: A Little More Less Weight Ideas . . .

Shane covered weight saving ideas extensively in his build thread, but I thought I'd add a couple more things:
Stock seat assembly is around 8 lbs according to my bathroom scales (was too heavy for the food scale). My Catalyst Composite drag seat weighed in at 2lbs, 2oz - so basically a 6 lb drop . . . and for drag racing, you also get the advantage of lowering your center of gravity as well as the weight savings ( Initially, I was not going to use my composite seat on the 14R since the fit isn't exact, and it rubbed on the old '14, but I used a dremel to shave down the areas of concern).

While I had the seat off, I noticed the tool kit, and decided to eliminate that 1 lb 5 oz as well.

The Window Lowering Links (6oz savings - Shane's build thread) can't be reached with the belly pan assembly in place - another 1lb 40z.

So the CT Meg and rear sets gone saves 35.7 lbs. The seat swap, tool kit, lowering links, and belly pan saves approximately 9 lbs. Net loss almost 45 lbs over stock. Just another example of how every little bit helps

Ignore this member   
zx13r

Expert Class
Capt-America
posted May 12, 2012 01:39 PM        
Lose the lower bars on the sub frame.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted May 12, 2012 01:50 PM        
If you look through my old gen 1 build thread you will find most every component on the bike weighed...including the motor. Most of the Gen 1 stuff applies. I would love to make my 14r as light as my gen 1...but i am trying like hell to do the regular street bike thing.

Shane

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted May 12, 2012 02:05 PM        Edited By: BLK ICE on 12 May 2012 21:06
lite tires(for most stock wheel base riders these are good chioces:Michelin power pure front tire - 120/60zr-17 and rear 180/55-17 or power one rear 180/55-17)

Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 14R: A Little More Less Weight Ideas . . . NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.613920927048 seconds processing time