HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: My 1st 1/4 Mile Passes on The 14R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 09, 2012 09:21 PM        
My 1st 1/4 Mile Passes on The 14R

So here's the conditions:

Approximately 85 degrees on 1st pass
Calculated D.A. when I got home - 1,600ft
My weight suited: 200lbs on the nose. I need lighter gear!!

Mods: CT Meg, PC-V w/ street map, and a strap, 89 pump gas....that's it (window links are at stock ride height). Bike has 630 miles.

I am very rusty as I haven't been on the track in around 7 months, and I have not tried piloting a stock wheelbase bike in a few years. My first pass was the best, the 2nd run I was fighting a wheelie and then the back tire started to spin. 3rd pass was interesting - launch felt ok, but at around 1/2 track, I felt like I got out of my groove and that the back tire was spinning. My friend who works at the track said it didn't look like it was. But either it was spinning 1/2 way down the track, or that pesky "Protection Mode" kicked in as my trap speed absolutely TANKED!
Overall, I was happy with getting the 9.86 trapping just over 151 mph. The 60' shows how worried I was of wearing the bike as a hat :-) My old 2006 '14 only bested 146 mph once at this track, compared to my 1st pass out on the 2012 at 151 mph.

Ignore this member   
Hayabusa14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 04:38 AM        Edited By: Hayabusa14 on 10 May 2012 11:41
You may want to look into a Brock clutch mod, I think it will help your 60 ft, I know it will help your clutchs last longer at short wheel base. I think the best I got at short wheel base was a 9.92, that's stock pipes, lowered and a 40 tooth on the rear. I wish I had tryed it after I installed the CT meg. The 14R is a hard bike to ride at shortwheel base. Good runs

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 10, 2012 08:06 AM        
Good job !! Yes safety mode kicks in and MPH and ET goes to shit .. I had it happen twice and felt like i took off in second gear .. Pull the flies ...

Ignore this member   
Viper

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 08:29 AM        
Hey Lee have u experienced it since pulling the flies? I was thinking maybe after the burnout shutting the bike off and cranking it back up to reset everything. Even tho I kno we have to turn the TC back off again.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 10, 2012 08:33 AM        
quote:
Hey Lee have u experienced it since pulling the flies? I was thinking maybe after the burnout shutting the bike off and cranking it back up to reset everything. Even tho I kno we have to turn the TC back off again.
It has never happened after the flies were removed .. Just make sure your TC is off ..

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 08:55 AM        
quote:
You may want to look into a Brock clutch mod, I think it will help your 60 ft, I know it will help your clutchs last longer at short wheel base. I think the best I got at short wheel base was a 9.92, that's stock pipes, lowered and a 40 tooth on the rear. I wish I had tryed it after I installed the CT meg. The 14R is a hard bike to ride at shortwheel base. Good runs

Thanks, man. Yep - planning on getting the clutch mod next!

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 08:56 AM        
quote:
Good job !! Yes safety mode kicks in and MPH and ET goes to shit .. I had it happen twice and felt like i took off in second gear .. Pull the flies ...

Thanks, Lee - clutch mod, flies out are next on the punch list.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 08:59 AM        
quote:
quote:
It has never happened after the flies were removed .. Just make sure your TC is off ..

Actually, it really "can't" happen with the flies out, right? From my understanding, protection mode's only manipulation is through the flies. So basically, flies out, protection mode will still TRY, but basically, it can only shoot blanks...

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 09:07 AM        
I'll say this, despite my HORRENDOUS launches producing 1.75 60' times, the bike still managed to easily get into the 9's with a 'less than featherweight' at the controls. One other note, I only noticed after my runs that the 1/8th mph wasn't registering in my lane, which sucks but hopefully it's working next time out.

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted May 10, 2012 09:33 AM        
quote:
I'll say this, despite my HORRENDOUS launches producing 1.75 60' times, the bike still managed to easily get into the 9's with a 'less than featherweight' at the controls. One other note, I only noticed after my runs that the 1/8th mph wasn't registering in my lane, which sucks but hopefully it's working next time out.

Very good first time out!

I had enough trouble getting my SWB 08 down the track as anything but a unicycle.
I didn't even try the 14R without strethcing it first, so you're ahead of me.

Very strong mph despite having to take it easy on the first part of the run.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 11:27 AM        
quote:
quote:

Very good first time out!

I had enough trouble getting my SWB 08 down the track as anything but a unicycle.
I didn't even try the 14R without strethcing it first, so you're ahead of me.

Very strong mph despite having to take it easy on the first part of the run.

Thanks Lucky! Yeah, I'm not sure how long I can hold off on the stretching

Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted May 10, 2012 12:31 PM        
Very Nice Scott!! I will be at the grudge fest this saturday in sacramento watching!!

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 01:18 PM        
quote:
Very Nice Scott!! I will be at the grudge fest this saturday in sacramento watching!!

Much thanks, Cesar! I plan on stopping by to make a few runs at Grudgefest

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 10, 2012 04:57 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, it really "can't" happen with the flies out, right? From my understanding, protection mode's only manipulation is through the flies. So basically, flies out, protection mode will still TRY, but basically, it can only shoot blanks...
Yes it still is trying to work but with the flies out it's like you said " shooting blanks "

Ignore this member   
VINCE12

Expert Class
Designated Drinker.
posted May 10, 2012 05:30 PM        
Man I hope to get a slip like yours,,,,, I haven't raced a bike in about 7 years. Hahaha.

I think I'll wait to pull the flies till I get a few 1/4 mile track days to see if I still got it.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 06:23 PM        
quote:
Man I hope to get a slip like yours,,,,, I haven't raced a bike in about 7 years. Hahaha.

I think I'll wait to pull the flies till I get a few 1/4 mile track days to see if I still got it.

Thanks Vince! Just remember to turn off TC before making a pass and hope that the pesky protection mode doesn't show up if you keep the flies in

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 10, 2012 07:00 PM        
crazx14, now you have a baseline number to beat next trip to the track.... Good to hear others are racing the 14r.

wee

Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted May 10, 2012 07:13 PM        
I got extensions with me!! ;-)

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 10:26 PM        
quote:
crazx14, now you have a baseline number to beat next trip to the track.... Good to hear others are racing the 14r.

wee

Yep, gonna try and do a little better on Saturday, Wee

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 10, 2012 10:28 PM        
quote:

Now we just need a chain, brake line, and longer chain guard!

Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted May 10, 2012 11:48 PM        
all we need is a chain, we can use the same brake line and sac wont see the chain guard and if they do they wont say anything

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 11, 2012 03:39 AM        
quote:
quote:

you won't need a longer brakeline with most extensions.

wee

Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted May 11, 2012 05:07 AM        
Not sure about the new 14, but when I was stock wheelbase on my 06 I had better luck leaving at a really low rpm (2,500) that way I could get the clutch out really quick and use the torque of the motor to pull the bike. Good luck man, can't wait to see results.

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 11, 2012 06:28 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

you won't need a longer brakeline with most extensions.

wee

Good info, thanks Wee.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 11, 2012 06:33 AM        Edited By: CraZX14 on 11 May 2012 13:33
quote:
Not sure about the new 14, but when I was stock wheelbase on my 06 I had better luck leaving at a really low rpm (2,500) that way I could get the clutch out really quick and use the torque of the motor to pull the bike. Good luck man, can't wait to see results.

Thanks Cody ... I'm definitely keeping the revs low on launch. What sucks is the July-like temperatures already in Sacramento!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: My 1st 1/4 Mile Passes on The 14R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.73627281189 seconds processing time