HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Vortex sprockets NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
chevy454

Novice Class
posted May 04, 2012 01:34 PM        
Vortex sprockets

I know steel sprockets are the best for the 14, but majority of the bike I see have the vortex sprockets. Is there something I'm missing? Are they reliable enough to use without changing every two months?

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted May 04, 2012 01:49 PM        
aluminum sprockets are lighter and they won't last as long as steel.. it depends what you are using your bike for..if just street riding just use the steel.. you really won't see the difference except less wear... my 2 cents..

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 04, 2012 03:26 PM        
If everyone is running them they must be better than what you have imagined.
I have had my sprocket and chain setup for 5 years. If you keep up the Maintance on it, they will last.

Ignore this member   
chevy454

Novice Class
posted May 04, 2012 05:43 PM        
This might be a silly question but how can you maintain a sprocket?
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted May 04, 2012 05:48 PM        Edited By: shawnski on 5 May 2012 01:07
quote:
This might be a silly question but how can you maintain a sprocket?

make sure your chain adjusted properly not too tight or lose and the most important thing is to make sure it is balanced correctly (Alignment ) . there are different technics to use to align the front and rear wheels

here is one:

Ignore this member   
LandspeedLarry

Expert Class
posted May 04, 2012 06:07 PM        
Most sprocket companies also sell Hard anodized aluminum spockets which are a great street compromise for light weight and longevity. Be aware that the chain and two sprockets wear together when used. Adding a new rear sprocket to a used chain and front sprocket will greatly shorten the life of the new aluminum sprocket. LSL

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted May 05, 2012 03:49 AM        
alignment and good lube is essential...Been running an aluminum rear for several years now to include 2 years of drag duty....
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted May 06, 2012 04:01 AM        
quote:
alignment and good lube is essential...Been running an aluminum rear for several years now to include 2 years of drag duty....

+1 doing the same. I dont take it easy on those aluminum sprockets either.

Did run a JT steel sprocket at one point in time and holy moly they're heavy. They are considerably cheaper too.

2009 ZX-14 SE--has two wheels and an engine

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 07, 2012 07:20 PM        
quote:
I know steel sprockets are the best for the 14, but majority of the bike I see have the vortex sprockets. Is there something I'm missing? Are they reliable enough to use without changing every two months?

We get about 75 passes on a sprocket before teeth start breaking off. Maybe 500 miles of street riding mixed in with those passes. For us it just depends on how often we go to the track. I doubt if we'd ever have to replace one with no more miles than we put on the bike if we didn't drag race. Low 1.3 60's unfortunately don't do an aluminum sprocket any favors on a heavy bike.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 07, 2012 07:29 PM        
quote:
quote:

We get about 75 passes on a sprocket before teeth start breaking off. Maybe 500 miles of street riding mixed in with those passes. For us it just depends on how often we go to the track. I doubt if we'd ever have to replace one with no more miles than we put on the bike if we didn't drag race. Low 1.3 60's unfortunately don't do an aluminum sprocket any favors on a heavy bike.
only 75 passes? I went 2 years racing every weekend and it was still in great condition when I sold it.. Are you running 500 hp? lol

wee

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 07, 2012 08:13 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

only 75 passes? I went 2 years racing every weekend and it was still in great condition when I sold it.. Are you running 500 hp? lol

wee

No, but I'm sure going through sprockets like I have 500 horsepower. We just broke a tooth on the one we have on the bike now last time out. Now we do have to run the chain pretty tight with as long as the swingarm is. That's not helping. All the bad of a high HP bike but none of the good. I guess that's my lot in life.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Vortex sprockets NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.633169174194 seconds processing time