HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Sprocket tooth experience? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
KAWIinITALY

Parking Attendant
posted April 15, 2011 11:29 PM        
Sprocket tooth experience?

I would like to hear the opinions of folks that have changed their sprockets & the # of teeth in them. I plan to do a sprockets & chain swap in the near future & am toying w/ giving the gurl a little down low ummf. I do not want a wheelie monster as I ride alot of mountain roads here. I think the standard sportbike -1/+2 would make my bike the exact thing I want to avoid. I think maybe a -1/+0 might be good, or even a -0/+2. Please reply w/ experiences so I can decide what I want to do w/ this. Thanks in advance.

Roaring Toyz triple tree nut cover
KR Tuned frame sliders
Flies removed
PC-III w/ custom map
BMC Street Air Filter
Clean Air mod
Black powdercoated heel guards
Black GP pegs
M4 GP slip-on exhaust
Speed Tactics fender eliminator
Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs
and... one aftemarket decal

Ignore this member   
head_zx14ninja

Novice Class
2010 xz14
posted April 16, 2011 03:36 AM        
Gearing ZX14

Hey mate,

I'm currently running 16/41 (-1/+0) on my zx14. I am happy with this gearing on the street and i think this will also be a good setup for what your looking for as i occasionally do your type of riding and blast through the mountains.... I'm 6"4 and weigh in at about 100kg (dry weight ) and it works well for me and my street riding but can conjure up a wheelie in 1st 2nd and 3rd with very little persuasion from the wrsit but at the same time without being outright "aggressive" and always lifting towards the heavens.

I have fiddled with other gearing set-ups and pretty much in the following order when i eventually settled.

Standard : 17/41
Don't have to explain you already know.

Modified 1: 16/45
Short as for my liking and have found myself running out of puff on top speed runs (obviously) far too early for my liking . And will lift all day everyday with a standard wheelbase, as well as becoming much too aggressive/short for street. But i think i might revert to this gearing setup once i stretch and lower her and pop into the local drag strip for some runs.

Modified 2: 16/43
Same as 16/45 just a little less aggressive/short. Another option i think I'll try at the strip, but definitely doesn't tickle my fancy for street.

Modified 3: 17/43
I almost left it with this gearing as i was happy with it but it's pretty close to what i am running now. -1 on the front is the same as +2 on the back but for me it feels different. (I'd suggest this option if you want an easier install, cracking the counter-shaft nut is a pain in the without a rattle gun with a decent amount of power. I tried with my uncles cheap little 3-4hp compressor and a cheap gun and it wouldn't budge then i just bit the bullet and bought my own high powered setup)

Modified 4: 16/41
Same as 17/43 though i found it a bit more snappier, aggressive and responsive. This is the setup i am sticking with on the street but i will change this once i am using the bike for a different application eg. Drag Strip.

I hope this helps. I played around with all this gearing because i had a store credit note from a little Yamaha dealership near my home and i thought i might use the credit to grab a bunch of sprockets and run some tests on gearing setup.... Just in case your wondering ....

This is what i found and individual requirements/opinions will vary but again i hope this helps.

Martin

Ignore this member   
joel787

Zone Head
posted April 16, 2011 03:44 AM        
Nice, pretty good info man..lots of time in ur hands tho for all those changes...jk

Ignore this member   
head_zx14ninja

Novice Class
2010 xz14
posted April 16, 2011 07:13 AM        
Nothing to it man, it only takes 20 mins.... And if you don't like it another 20 LOL.

If you need any directions let me know.

Cheers

Martin

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted April 16, 2011 07:15 AM        
16/43 in the twisties is a BLAST man. I love my combo for that. Pulls like a beast for the street down low. WOT is fun with it.
  Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 16, 2011 07:28 AM        
quote:
16/43 in the twisties is a BLAST man. I love my combo for that. Pulls like a beast for the street down low. WOT is fun with it.

Ditto on 16/43 in the mountains. With a map a little fat...smooth. Any gear roll on's pulls HARD.

Ignore this member   
head_zx14ninja

Novice Class
2010 xz14
posted April 16, 2011 07:46 AM        
Must have tighter mountains in your area haha.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted April 16, 2011 09:02 AM        Edited By: LAB3 on 16 Apr 2011 16:10
Live in Fort Worth, Texas, we have to go to Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. I like to have the trans in a higher gear and power out and let off coming in and have the engine brake for you. :-)

Ignore this member   
CraigChrist

Pro
BAWLS
posted April 16, 2011 11:07 AM        
1 in the front is 3 in the rear... Before I stretched my bike I used to do a lot of canyon riding out here in california. 16/41 was great for tight twisties and high speed sweepers.

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted April 16, 2011 02:01 PM        
quote:
I would like to hear the opinions of folks that have changed their sprockets & the # of teeth in them. I plan to do a sprockets & chain swap in the near future & am toying w/ giving the gurl a little down low ummf. I do not want a wheelie monster as I ride alot of mountain roads here. I think the standard sportbike -1/+2 would make my bike the exact thing I want to avoid. I think maybe a -1/+0 might be good, or even a -0/+2. Please reply w/ experiences so I can decide what I want to do w/ this. Thanks in advance.

I have about 7 different sprockets for sell in the CLASSIFIEDS. I would buy used spockets until I found the combination that works best for me. Just my 2 cents.
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
head_zx14ninja

Novice Class
2010 xz14
posted April 16, 2011 03:43 PM        
quote:
Live in Fort Worth, Texas, we have to go to Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. I like to have the trans in a higher gear and power out and let off coming in and have the engine brake for you. :-)

Looks like a nice stretch of road! I'm in Melbourne and my favorite stretch of mountain road the Reefton or "Black" Spur has been fucked by police.

Ignore this member   
head_zx14ninja

Novice Class
2010 xz14
posted April 16, 2011 03:45 PM        
Back on topic here is a website that might help with your gearing woes....

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Sprocket tooth experience? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.663985013962 seconds processing time