HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Top speed distance ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
FAST Z14

Expert Class
posted February 21, 2011 01:14 AM        
Top speed distance ?

Hi guys I have a issue with some busa guys here in SA,our Zx 14 has Head & Cam deg with standard sprockets,the bike runs very well, has beaten some fast big bore busas,the bike max out at + - 325 - 327km/h(gps) as per the gearing,we feel the bike will not really have the power if we go 1 down at the rear,this bike runs this speed in approx 2,8 km.The busa guys dont want to race this distance they say it is to short,they run approx 3,8km to 4km that is world standard distances.My argument is that a normall aspirated street bike should be able to run his top speed in this 2,8 km to 3km distance. Most road tests show that basically all top 1000 cc and zx 14 & busas run 300km/h( limiter) in approx 2 km.
Am I way off with this argument or what?

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted February 21, 2011 05:23 AM        Edited By: BobC on 21 Feb 2011 12:52
No you are not way off. In my experience most top speed events, with the exception of places like Bonneville, seem to be standardising on 1 mile, which is 1.6 km.

The gearing on your 14 is critical as is doesn't make enough power to pull a high gear. My bike only makes 192bhp at the wheel and it would hit the limiter on standard 17/41 gearing so I tried 18/41 and 17/40 ratios. It pulled to 205mph (330 km/h) on the 18/41 with a tail wind and 203mph (326 km/h) on 17/40 in still air. The distance was 1.25 miles (2.01 km). About as fast as you can go on a "normal" bike with that amount of power.

Where do these Busa guys run 4km? That's nearly 2.5 miles. You would need a 3 mile runway to do that and allow braking room. I assume they are referring to proper racing venues and not the public highway.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted February 21, 2011 08:40 AM        
Hey Bob. Where did you go for those top speed runs?
I'd assumed you ran at Straightliners events but I thought they where over a measured mile?

Ignore this member   
Audioboyz

Expert Class
posted February 21, 2011 04:24 PM        Edited By: Audioboyz on 21 Feb 2011 23:26
I'm not really a top end guy.Last summer I was running a 16/43 combo.It was fun with the accellration from 90-170 but it was kinda scary in first after 7 grand.But that was with slipons.I went back to the stock 41 gearing.After I get the Brocks pipe on and a decent map it should make more power.But the roads around here are too scary for too much speed.
I was watching the videos in the dragracing section,The ones where people were flipping over and hitting the tree.My wife saw them and started losing it saying she was going to send the leather pants she got me for Christmas back.I said I was reading the section for guidence.I learned alot of what not to do.Like not coming out at 9 grand.I wouldn't of thought of 3500 RPMS.I liked the Hendrix anology.
Craig

Ignore this member   
Ratfink

Novice Class
posted February 21, 2011 04:33 PM        
im a maxton guy myself so im a mile you should be able to do your buisness i run 17/40 or 18/41 at these events and it does fine at outruning a lot of things but land speed is about runing against the clock and your looking at racing so yes those guys wanting to run 4km are full of it run them down in a standing mile or do it from a dig in the quarter
  Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted February 21, 2011 09:11 PM        
I plan to hit the Texas mile next season (got to invest some more in the bike, and my experience first) can I hit 200 with the stock gearing, or do I need to change it? I thought the stock gears would get me to about 202.
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted February 21, 2011 09:11 PM        
You need a 40T rear sprocket.
  Ignore this member   
ryn0cer0s

Expert Class
Rider for Life
posted February 21, 2011 09:25 PM        
Thanks. I have been reading a lot on here and the dragbike forum. Never realized there is so much to it, and I want to do things right, not get stupid. and, when I finally do get to run the Mile, I would hate to fall a couple miles short of 200.
BTW, I want to thank you and everyone else who has answer my sometimes ignorant questions. I have been riding my whole life, but never been able to race before. So I am just getting started here.
PCV, SpeedoHealer, lowered

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Ignore this member   
FAST Z14

Expert Class
posted February 21, 2011 11:19 PM        
BobC thanks for the input,sadly yes the public highway is the only place they can run those stupid distances,but we will not race on their terms.Will be another story to try and explain this to them anyway thanks for the sprocket info,were you running standard tyre profyle or 55 profyle?

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted February 22, 2011 01:39 AM        Edited By: BobC on 22 Feb 2011 08:40
quote:
BobC thanks for the input,sadly yes the public highway is the only place they can run those stupid distances,but we will not race on their terms.Will be another story to try and explain this to them anyway thanks for the sprocket info,were you running standard tyre profyle or 55 profyle?

The bike was on the standard fit Bridgestones, the OE tyre.

Greyhoundmoses, those speeds were at RAF Woodbridge in Suffolk, England over a mile and a quarter, 200mph/Straighliners is correct.
Sadly it looks like we can no longer use Woodbridge for top speed events as the runway and the whole area around it needs a lot of work.

Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted February 22, 2011 06:09 AM        
That's bad news about Woodbridge!
Any word on an alternative venue?
I would imagine Elvington isn't a viable proposition
for a lot of the racers who currently go to Woodbridge.

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted February 22, 2011 07:21 AM        
quote:
That's bad news about Woodbridge!
Any word on an alternative venue?
I would imagine Elvington isn't a viable proposition
for a lot of the racers who currently go to Woodbridge.

Yes, shame about Woodbridge. 200/Straightliners has four meetings at Elvington over a half-mile this year and one meeting over a mile. The really quick bikes still expect to be running around 240 in a half-mile but us mere mortals don't stand much chance of cracking 200.

There are a couple of other venues in England but there's nothing like Woodbridge.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Top speed distance ? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.789561986923 seconds processing time