HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Head Milling vs. Thin Gasket vs. Pistons (Raising Compression)? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 17, 2009 02:13 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 17 Oct 2009 22:14
Head Milling vs. Thin Gasket vs. Pistons (Raising Compression)?

There are a few different means of raising compression (that I am aware of). I was wondering if it really matters which you use? One difference I see with milling is that it affects combustion chamber volume. And it would seem that milling or a thin head gasket would also affect ptv clearance, and I have read, cam timing.

But strictly from a performance standpoint, which would be the best choice?

1) Milling
2) Thin Gasket
3) High Compression Piston

Remember, I am new to this stuff. So if I am missing the obvious, forgive me.

Shane

Ignore this member   
BrooklynNYZX12

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2009 03:09 PM        
Shane,what exactly are you looking for? Are you looking to raise the c.r a little ? A thin head gasket would probably be the way to go,the other options milling and or pistons you may as well go through the entire motor then...A head gasket will be a 1/2 tear down,new gasket ,put it back together the other 2 are more work in my opinion....if you are gonna mill the head I would assume Jim would do it,may as well have him do a valve job too maybe a clean up too...it just snow balls so you have a nice dilemma but what exactly are you looking for,I mean I know your bike is an 8 second bike you are just a big guy. i remember when the 14's first came out 2 guys at E-Town had them and they couldnt get them in the 8's well the track manager was Eddie Krawieck at the time and he hopped on both of them and cranked out 8:80's on 2 different 14's. We were all slack jawed ask Rick Mazzola we were all there.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 17, 2009 03:19 PM        
I don't have any specific goal right now...just looking for some theory, really.

Of course you never know what could happen over the winter.

Oh yeah, I'm no jockey...that's for sure. Still, I'm not too worried about getting in the 8's really, I know it will happen soon.

Shane

Ignore this member   
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted October 17, 2009 03:27 PM        
Pistons usually have deeper valve pockets to allow for big cams
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB

Ignore this member   
almost_les

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2009 03:44 PM        
if you just want a little extra CR, the thin head gasket isnt a bad choice. i did it. along with adjustable cam sprockets. good performance gains if you're on a tight budget like me. IMO pistons don't seem like they are worth it unles you are going with a big bore, or big nitrous/turbo. i can't see why it would be justified buying high CR pistons for the stock displacement.
  Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 17, 2009 03:57 PM        
quote:
There are a few different means of raising compression (that I am aware of). I was wondering if it really matters which you use? One difference I see with milling is that it affects combustion chamber volume. And it would seem that milling or a thin head gasket would also affect ptv clearance, and I have read, cam timing.

But strictly from a performance standpoint, which would be the best choice?

1) Milling
2) Thin Gasket
3) High Compression Piston

Remember, I am new to this stuff. So if I am missing the obvious, forgive me.

Shane

Set the squish to .036"-.038" and then mill the head to the desired CR.

Both milling and the head gasket can change the CR but milling cant change squish.

Both milling and head gasket change the Piston to Valve clearances.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Y2KZX12R's homepage. 
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2009 05:57 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 18 Oct 2009 13:58
quote:

Both milling and the head gasket can change the CR but milling cant change squish.

How is it that milling does not affect squish? It would seem to bring everything closer together:

How can it not affect squish?

Shane

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 18, 2009 09:14 AM        
Because that diagram is a 2 stroke cycle engine. The squish is totally different in that example.

Look at another example and picture milling the deck surface.

Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2009 09:15 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 18 Oct 2009 17:37
quote:
Because that diagram is a 2 stroke cycle engine. The squish is totally different in that example.

Look at another example and picture milling the deck surface.

I found that diagram on a Harley oriented site (NHRS), sorry.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_squish.shtml

Apparently certain harley cylinder heads have an angled squish band.

I'll see what else I can find...

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2009 09:21 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 18 Oct 2009 17:35
edit
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2009 09:27 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 18 Oct 2009 17:32
Another image:

If this picture is accurate, I think I see it now...

Shane

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 18, 2009 09:38 AM        
Yep. I knew it was just because of that 2 stroke picture you didnt understand.

Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 18, 2009 09:41 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 18 Oct 2009 17:59
Harley head with angled squish band:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_squish.shtml

It figures that I would find something oddball.

Shane

Ignore this member   
TRNorBRN6001

Needs a job
posted October 18, 2009 06:35 PM        
Hey don't forget us fellas that have a base gasket, lol.

Ignore this member   
whitehendrix

Zone Head
fails!
posted October 18, 2009 07:30 PM        
all of them within reaon affect PTV. using an offset piston ( as far as the crown thickness) would if the valve pockets aren't cut to compensate.. ( assuming you'd change another PTV vraiable.

base gasket and head gasket are beneficial from a cost standpoint. if you're dealing with stock internal values you KNOW will clear .00X-.0XX" difference in gasket thicknesses, then you can esentially instal la thinner head or base gasket and be done with it.. tho i'd surmise you won't gain a hell of a whole lot with just that. pistons are pricey, but add a bit of "insurance" to your rotating assembly, and have (usually) an added benefit of being lighter and stronger. milling is usually between the price ranges of gaskets and a piston set, and at least wit our head designs, squish isn't affected for a "normal" amount of material removed from the head. if one were to go apeshit crazy with the shellmill, then squish would be affected, but then again, the head would be ruined at that point as you'd be cutting into the valveseats.

if price isn't an issue, i think a combo of pistons and gaskets would be the ticket.. now, i'm not on a pro level like our resident gurus, but i've built enough off-road race engines to know that combo is usually for the win.

any time you move the head (axially or radially.. whatever way) you'll affect timing.. i wish i could tel lyou it's only going to account for exactly 1 dgree for ever .005" or something, but i really have no idea. Jim or doug probably know.. but yes.. it will be affected, even if it's on a sub-degree level.

Duct tape is the handyman's secret
weapon. The black is for formal
occasions. - ZRXDean

ill never own a busa unless
someone gives me one.... and then
ill sell it -KZScott

Ignore this member   
Y2KZX12R

Needs a job
CompetitionCNC.com
posted October 19, 2009 04:15 AM        
quote:
at least wit our head designs, squish isn't affected for a "normal" amount of material removed from the head

Actually Jim squish doesn't change AT ALL when you mill the head no matter how much you mill it.

almost_les

Zone Head
posted October 19, 2009 07:27 AM        Edited By: almost_les on 19 Oct 2009 15:27
+1 with these head designs, the "squish shelf" is on the same plane as the head gasket seating surface. you mill the head and you're milling the squish shelf too.

picture jacked from kzscott

Ignore this member   
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted October 19, 2009 12:44 PM        
Shane, some info about measuring squish in this thread http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=13&TID=44211&pagenumber=1
pics from dads motor(more in the thread):

00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2009 01:03 PM        
Thanks for the pics, guys.
  Ignore this member   
whitehendrix

Zone Head
fails!
posted October 19, 2009 07:20 PM        
you're right ( as always) Jim.
i dunno what i was thinkin.. i was thinkin that.. well, i don't really know.

i see where i messed up. i apologize for misinformation.

Duct tape is the handyman's secret
weapon. The black is for formal
occasions. - ZRXDean

ill never own a busa unless
someone gives me one.... and then
ill sell it -KZScott

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted November 01, 2009 07:12 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 1 Nov 2009 15:13
So, as far as setting the squish....

This is done via base and/or head gasket thickness, and/or machining the tops of the pistons?

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted November 01, 2009 08:44 AM        
quote:
So, as far as setting the squish....

This is done via base and/or head gasket thickness, and/or machining the tops of the pistons?

Shane,
yup, but machining pistons is a PITA,.
Base gasket is best option bc you can get thicknesses down to .005 (copper)

In KZ's pic above, he'd prob get more consistent results if he cut the solder into equal lengths (i use 1/4"), and place the solder very near the edge of the piston so the entire piece gets "squarshed".

Measure the thickness of all pieces, then average the 2 which were on opposite sides = repeatable to .001"

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted November 01, 2009 04:06 PM        
I do it a little differently. Don't like all the monkey motion with the head on/off etc. Icky grease and all. Use tools. You all might remember my pics of Brenda's engine going together. It seems to work.
D.

Ignore this member   
chavcat

Zone Head
posted November 01, 2009 05:11 PM        
Doug - what was this post titled?
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted November 01, 2009 06:31 PM        Edited By: dougmeyer on 2 Nov 2009 02:34
I just looked at it and there was only one pic- SO here are some more.

First bolt the assembly you want to check together

Then measure the piston height above or the depthe below the deck with a dial caliper of dial indicator. Measure just above the pin to negate rock.

Measure the thickness of all the spacers and gaskets you'll be using in the assembly.
Do the math - add all the spacer thicknesses and determine the net effect on the piston deck height or depth.
If you are doing an assembly that employs a composite gasket (not solid) you have to measure a used one that has been squeezed down.

This is a very accurate process if you are careful. I've checked it against the solder method when in doubt and found errors generally less than .002"
Questions?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Head Milling vs. Thin Gasket vs. Pistons (Raising Compression)? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.749895811081 seconds processing time