HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE /RUNNING/PARKING LIGHTS? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE /RUNNING/PARKING LIGHTS?
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 07:48 AM        
WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE /RUNNING/PARKING LIGHTS?

I'm upgrading my lighthing and I am too lazy at the moment to pull panels off to see what size are my running lights. I'm tossing up a few mod ideas:

BRIGHTER XENON STYLE BULBS
GREEN OR YELLOW ACCENT BULBS
INTERGRATING NEW BULBS INTO SIGNAL LIGHTS INSTEAD

Any info, ideas or threads reposts that I couldn't find in the search or google would be a help.
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit butta4hc's homepage. 
KawaBonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted June 24, 2009 08:40 AM        
On the bulb itself ..

37R E6 20? W5W 12v 86R

Basically ... 194's is what you are looking for ... also called wedge bulbs ...

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Polarg-113911.htm

Google for more stuff, tons out there.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit KawaBonzai's homepage. 
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 09:36 AM        
Thanks for that info. Can 194's be converted to blink with the signals or will I be looking for another model bulb? For some reason those bulbs seem to be useless so I intend to either make them decorative or functional with my signals by swapping it out with yellow ones.
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

WindSwordNinja

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 09:44 AM        
While you're on the subject of running lights, do those twist out like the head lights?
I want to replace mine as well but I don't know if you can get to them just by removing the ram air duct covers (like you can for the head lights) or if you have to take the nose cone off to get at screws or whatever holds it in place.
Any instructions would help!
Thanks
"Faster, faster! Faster would be better!" (Serenity)

Ignore this member   
tlm1762

Parking Attendant
Runnin' With The Devil
posted June 24, 2009 11:03 AM        
Yes, these are basically a 194 size bulb with what is reffered to as a wedge stle base. Ithink Kawasaki refers to these as city lights, also referred to as running or parking lights.

superbrightleds.com

superlumination.com

These are 2 sources I went to. Both sources had items in stock & shipped immediately.
These "city lights" are easy to remove. Pull he 3 screws out of each upper ram air cover & remove. There is a stailess bracket that you just removed the screw farthest to the front from where the ram air cover attahes. That bracket has 1 screw in it that needs to b removed. Pull the screw & just let the bracket hang as it holds part of the wiring harness. Twist out the bulb holder & pull the bulb straight out.
I had a very hard time getting the bulb sizes all figured out. Low beam headlights are the H11 type, high beams are the H9 type. Turn signals is where it gets tricky. They are NOT 1156 like they might appear to be. They are 7507, which is a newer type used primarily on European vehicles. Both front & rear turn signals are the 7507 size. You might need a bit of superglue to glue gasket back onto lens. At least that was my experience. I would definetly upgrade the headlights to real HIDs, at least the low beams. The difference is really phenominal. If you ride at all at night, I highly recommed HID lights. Even in daylight they are so bright & make a huge difference as opposed to stock. Just a reminder that if you do go LED turnsignals (7507), you'll need a load resistor or a new flasher for LEDs.The blink rate will be much faster due to less load.
In fact I have to get rid of my bike & am selling my HIDs (both sets 8K H11 & 6K H9), 4 amber colored 7507 LEDs & 2 194 blue LEDs if anyone is interested. tlm1762@cox.net
Hope that this will have shed some "light" on the subject. Have a great day!

Ignore this member   
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 02:04 PM        
Can I just say I love this board? I'm at the garage now about to start peeling off panels. About to prep the bike for my ride to Ohio this weekend.

AlexTheUkrainian

Expert Class
'08 ZX-14 SE
posted June 24, 2009 02:39 PM        
Yeah, thanks for the info, Bonzai and tlm
  Ignore this member   
Some Guy

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 04:02 PM        
I replaced those light with Yellow lights. They look okay, I'll add a pic later. I have the package at home so I'll also post the info on the light. Did someone mention green? I would love a different color, albiet legal color. The yellow looks better than the white, but purple would look cool on my '08 SE

Ignore this member   
MATTZ14

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 04:13 PM        
I would like green.

07 BLACK ZX14 Getting customized waiting for the white stuff to go away
06 BLACK ZX14 GONE Recall was a little late.

Ignore this member   
KawaBonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted June 24, 2009 04:33 PM        
My 09 Zx-14 is the candy lime green. I'm going the green theme as well.

I'm not sure if green "city/marker" lights are legal in Az. the general rules of thumb from my cop friends are ... if it's color fromt he front, it's illegal. I wonder if it applies to marker lights. it's be cool to have the marker lights 'breath" or be in sync with whatever accent lighting system I pick.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Varad ML200 in green, but I have to find a remote that works with them.

KawaBonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted June 24, 2009 04:35 PM        
quote:

superbrightleds.com
superlumination.com

Great info, but for those of us "cut/paste" impaired ...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
http://superlumination.com/

also, what brand/color/temp are the HID's you are selling?

Some Guy

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2009 05:12 PM        
Here's a pic of the bike with the Yellow lights. Also a pic of the packages...

Ignore this member   
tlm1762

Parking Attendant
Runnin' With The Devil
posted June 24, 2009 05:43 PM        
The city (running) lights are the 194 size. Below are a couple pics installed.

Blue Angl Eyes, blue LED running lights & all 4 HID's lit up. Can't tll the Angel Eyes are on due to the brightness ofthe HIDs (1st pic)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt184/TLM1762/may5025.jpg

Blue LED running lights & blue Angel Eyes (2nd pic)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt184/TLM1762/may5020.jpg

8K H11 & 6K H9 for sale Got from Ebay, no branding or coutry of origin, so I'm assuming import on these, although they work great, standard 35 watt ballasts. tlm1762@cox.net

Ignore this member   
tlm1762

Parking Attendant
Runnin' With The Devil
posted June 24, 2009 05:49 PM        
Kawabonzai, I think you might be right about the legality of colored lights facing forward. I live in Casa Grande & ride around town with my blue LEDs on with no problem, but they might just be more lax here. Green would be very cool on yours.

superlumination.com is right here in Az. somewhere on the east side, but north of me.

Ignore this member   
tlm1762

Parking Attendant
Runnin' With The Devil
posted June 24, 2009 05:53 PM        
Of course being the law abiding good citizen that I am, I do not condon doing anything illegal, including llegal colored lights, with a bike that is as slow as the 14. lol
  Ignore this member   
zx6reaker

Expert Class
D&D's, Frame sliders, pcIII
posted November 11, 2009 10:40 PM        
I'm trying to decide on which HID kit to get, 55 watt or 35 watt. are there any draw backs to either.

Ignore this member   
ConcoursX1

Parking Attendant
posted November 13, 2009 07:45 AM        
Spend the extra $10 and buy the 55Watt 5000k DDMs. Believe me, you won't be sorry. It is the best upgrade you can do. Much safer at night and the day.
  Ignore this member   
sunpialia

Parking Attendant
posted May 15, 2013 12:31 AM        

I usually get my LED lights for my car and my house decoration in the site http://www.ledlightshub.com. How about you?

Ignore this member     
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE /RUNNING/PARKING LIGHTS? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.380865097046 seconds processing time