HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Tire pressure NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
SubZer0

Novice Class
posted February 23, 2009 06:35 PM        
Tire pressure

What do you guys recommend for tire pressures while riding on the street. I have been running about 40 PSI per the owners manual, a fellow 14 rider told me that was to hi and that I should be running between 32 and 35 PSI. I run about between 210 and 215 suited up. BT016 tires.

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted February 23, 2009 07:09 PM        
I run 41 front and back.............if you try 32 and 35 let us know what you think. I think it will wallow around pretty bad..............

Ignore this member   
SubZer0

Novice Class
posted February 23, 2009 07:25 PM        
quote:
I think it will wallow around pretty bad..............

Ya I was thinking the same thing but I was watching the guy on the 14 that was in front of me on some pretty good twisties and he wasn't squirming around at all from what I could tell. He said he was running 32 PSI both front and back.

Ignore this member   
Bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted February 23, 2009 08:41 PM        
One of our pilots is a sponsored wera 650 racer (leo vince, suomy, sidi, and a couple others) and he swears by 29 rear 31 front. That's what I run on my bike and it sticks like glue. Then again, I'm lowered so it's not like I'm pushing the limits.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted February 23, 2009 11:39 PM        
40 front and rear for me...seems to be the best combo of tire life/grip/softer ride
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Zone Head
posted February 24, 2009 12:14 AM        
You can ride with lower pressures, but then You really have to RIDE it so the tires are hot and the pressure comes up. For normal riding, considering ease of turn, mileage, etc the 40psi is good compromise...
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
Old Guy

Expert Class
posted February 24, 2009 10:10 AM        Edited By: Old Guy on 24 Feb 2009 17:17
quote:
You can ride with lower pressures, but then You really have to RIDE it so the tires are hot and the pressure comes up. For normal riding, considering ease of turn, mileage, etc the 40psi is good compromise...

After talking and riding with you Sub Zero, I' ve changed my suggestion. You see how I ride.
And that was slowed for consideration of wet "unfamilar" roads and you.
As you saw I "ride it' as the previous poster mentioned.
Still think you should drop the pressure so the added "flex" will warm your tires in cold damp Washington.
Probably to 36-38.
Play with it See how it feels..
Check the psi after riding awhile.
I was concerned that with higher psi, your tires arent getting to temp quick enough.
Hence the reason you had your nasty spill awhile back.

If there is someone who has knowledge of what Bridgestone wants for "operating pressures", speak up.
Yours is the opinion that is needed.

I run considerably lower pressure than most posters, "probably" ride alot faster, day in day out as I live in rural countryside (fellow road racers excluded)
Yet I get 5000 miles out of my tires??!!!
Dont think 40 psi will make tires last longer.
I dont do burn outs yet spin em up on purpose for some corners exits.
Ran 31 front 32 rear in a set of Corsa IIIs. Took them off after 3500+ miles and 5 track days (about 650 miles averaging 100+ mph) due to the SIDES being worn out and whole tire slippery from the heat cycling from track days.
After a track session the psi would rise 8 psi, on street 6psi rise.
Tried the Stradas and took them off after a winter of riding and a 3000 mile trip.
had 5,000 miles and 1/3 tread left but hated them.
Yet the stock 014s squared out at 3000 miles when I ran them at Kawasakis 40+ psi suggestions.
Currently running StreetSmarts at 34psi (temps here average 35-50)
Checked the operating temp after a hard run on a 34 degree day. 40 psi when warm (and wet) to the touch.
I think you fellows in warm states might want to check your psi after riding awhile.
Might help with your mileage and ride.
pcIII w/custom map
NO freakin flies!!
GP suspension forks
Penske rear shock
Rich's custom seat
And a whole bunch of other stuff.

97 zx6r full race bike with all the
good stuff

Ignore this member   
SubZer0

Novice Class
posted February 24, 2009 11:04 AM        
I was waiting for you to chime in Old Guy. And ya you definitely let it all hang out while your riding the 14. Me I'm still a little apprehensive in the twisties after launching off a cliff and a $4000.00 + rebuild project. I think my little adventure had something to do with the stock BT14's and or the tire pressure, front tire would not hookup. That's why I asked the tire pressure question, I would hate to make the same mistake twice. Thanks for the input from all. And Old Guy, we definitely need to hookup and do some more rides together. I've been riding a long time but sport bikes are still relatively new to me, perhaps you could teach me a thing or two.
  Ignore this member   
Old Guy

Expert Class
posted February 24, 2009 11:30 AM        Edited By: Old Guy on 24 Feb 2009 18:32
I've backed off quite a bit for simular reasons. 120 mph wrecks do that.
Main cause of wreck....,cold race tires.
Thats why I'm running StreetSmarts, great in wet AND heat up quick.
Thats why I'm hoping more of the very knowledgable Cats here post up in answer to your question.
pcIII w/custom map
NO freakin flies!!
GP suspension forks
Penske rear shock
Rich's custom seat

good stuff

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted February 24, 2009 12:39 PM        
quote:
I've backed off quite a bit for simular reasons. 120 mph wrecks do that.
Main cause of wreck....,cold race tires.
Thats why I'm running StreetSmarts, great in wet AND heat up quick.
Thats why I'm hoping more of the very knowledgable Cats here post up in answer to your question.

How does one qualify to be in the "very knowledgable Cats" club?

SubZero................cold tire pressures can be as varied as opinion's on oil,exhausts,helmets etc..........etc.......... You really have to check your pressures also after riding the way you normally do, so some experimenting is in order. OLD GUY says most of his riding is at a brisk clip so he can get away with lower starting pressures. If you ride at a moderate pace and usually go the speed limit or a little above then you will need higher starting pressures. Remember this, tire pressures on the street are always a compromise. Lower pressures may make your bike stick like glue in the corners, but at the expense of straight line stability, steering effort and load carrying capacity. Milage will be reduced also......tire life AND fuel milage.

You must experiment to find the right compromise. Try a low psi and go for a ride. Come back home,check the pressure and let the tires cool off. Raise the pressure. Go for another ride. BE CAREFUL and keep notes............starting pressure....operating pressure.........outside temp............etc........

You will find what is comfortable for YOU...............

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted February 24, 2009 12:41 PM        
quote:
40 front and rear for me...seems to be the best combo of tire life/grip/softer ride

That's about where I am, seems to be a good compromise. I live in pretty average temps also.

Ignore this member   
Old Guy

Expert Class
posted February 24, 2009 02:28 PM        Edited By: Old Guy on 24 Feb 2009 21:35
quote:

How does one qualify to be in the "very knowledgable Cats" club?
quote:

I dont know!!! Humility? nah, these ARE hyperbike owners! But I know it when I see it!!

quote:

You must experiment to find the right compromise. Try a low psi and go for a ride. Come back home,check the pressure and let the tires cool off. Raise the pressure. Go for another ride. BE CAREFUL and keep notes............starting pressure....operating pressure.........outside temp............etc........

You will find what is comfortable for YOU...............

Everything VERY well said.
The only thing I could add is to recheck all again as weather improves.
Here in Wa. all my tires (auto, street, dirt bikes) need adjustment with our big swings in seasonal weather.

You'll see what works for you, your tires (one of the best in test April 09 Motorcyclist) and how you ride.
Time to get a good gauge and have at it my friend!!

None of my settings will work for very many others.
I ride my 14 like a motard...,kinda.
My suspension and its setting are not normalish.
I've also let motorhomes pass so I can look at vistas as I ride through them.

pcIII w/custom map
NO freakin flies!!
GP suspension forks
Penske rear shock
Rich's custom seat

good stuff

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Tire pressure NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.61745595932 seconds processing time