HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: PICS OF CRACKED FRAME (NEAR REAR SUSPENSION) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2008 10:57 AM        
PICS OF CRACKED FRAME (NEAR REAR SUSPENSION)

I managed to take pics of every conceivable angle that I could. You can see I got some really good shots. I have a friend who used to work for corporate Kaw as well as a few dealerships. She is making some calls to see what I'm up against.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit butta4hc's homepage. 
davej

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2008 11:22 AM        
That looks like a weld failure. There appears to be no elongation just fracture.

Ignore this member   
billeason

Zone Head
posted April 21, 2008 11:28 AM        
I don't think i would try to repair that. My opinion is to have kaw replace that frame.... Bill...

Ignore this member   
countersteer

Needs a job
Didn't read the owners manual
posted April 21, 2008 11:31 AM        
quote:
A little history on this bike: It was the fastest 14 in the country when the 14 first came out. I believe the owner said it did an 8.77 back in 2006. It had nitrous and swingarm and the full Muzzy on it now but the engine was stock. Engine went through a rebuild before I bought it. Some of you race heads might even know the bike if you're from the NJ area. It was wrenched by Ricky Gadson and his people.

you really think kawi would replace that???

Ignore this member    Click here to visit countersteer's homepage. 
STARR ZX14

Parking Attendant
posted April 21, 2008 12:04 PM        
BUTTA ITS ME STARR GIVE ME A CALL OR CALL LADIE NINJA...YOU NEED A NEW FRAME SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE BIKE...I JOKE A LOT BUT THIS IS SERIOUS SHIT..HOLLA BACK AND LET ME HELP IF YOU NEED ME BRO...DONT TRY TO WELD OR MIG IT WILL CRACK AGAIN....BETTER BUSS. BUREA...OR LAWYER...QUICK
  Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted April 21, 2008 12:51 PM        
BBB or a lawyer arent going to help. All that racing would negate any claims and just be a waste of money and time.

However, I do believe you can fix it with a reweld. It will have to be done by an expert, though, because they are going to have to completely grind off the old weld and refill it with multiple welds. It takes a very good, experienced welder to do that properly. Any decent novice can throw a "beauty weld" onto the top to make it look good, but whats below is most important.

As an aircraft weld inspector, I can tell you it will be as strong or stronger than before. IF done right.

Or you can throw down the $$$ for a new frame, and spend a few weekends transferring everything over. Hmm, might want to call a custom bike building shop that deals with 14's. They might just have a stocker frame laying around for a bargain. Good luck!
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted April 21, 2008 01:33 PM        Edited By: smokinzx14 on 21 Apr 2008 13:40
You see the picture third from the bottom .......See the lower engine mount bolt ....That is the puppy that causes the frame to break when the motor is removed or reinstall... People try to put a large allen head in the end of the bolt and turn it counter clock wise to unbolt the motor and BAM frame broken !!!! and it only takes a half turn and you are done .....When you are turning that large engine bolt you are unscrewing a spacer that is threaded into the engine... Turning it counter clock wise spreads the frame ..
The way to remove the bolt is to insert an allen head BUT do not turn it !!!!!! Hold the allen so it WILL NOT turn!!!!! ... Go the the otherside of the bike and remove the NUT !!!! Now turn the allen head IN to remove the preload off the frame .....Now you can just slide the engine bolt out.....

No frame or weld is strong enough if you spread a frame like that ...That spacer is only there to take up the slack between the engine and frame .....

Ignore this member   
brent davis

Zone Head
posted April 21, 2008 01:58 PM        
so Smokin' do you really think it is the bolt that is causing these issues? I can't remember if the other ppl that have cracked frames had their engines removed before or not. This is just something that has really got my attention now since I plan on adding a turbo kit soon but not to a bike that can have a potential frame breakage issue.

Ignore this member   
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted April 21, 2008 02:24 PM        Edited By: smokinzx14 on 21 Apr 2008 14:27
quote:
so Smokin' do you really think it is the bolt that is causing these issues? I can't remember if the other ppl that have cracked frames had their engines removed before or not. This is just something that has really got my attention now since I plan on adding a turbo kit soon but not to a bike that can have a potential frame breakage issue.
Yes a few people have reported breaking their frames while pulling the motor...One noteable case was a tec that worked for a Kawi dealer ... He heard it snap and like a good man he told his boss ASAP what he had done ...I think Bill at has seen this also but he will have to chime in on what he knows .. Think about this>> A trained Tec breaks one then what happens when an untrained guy get his hands on one ? ... We have seen on bikeland about 3 cases of broken frames .. One of of them found it after removing the motor ...This one posted here has been a race bike and could have had the motor out at one time ...The other one we have seen said it just broke while riding .... We have no facts other than what people tell us ..

If you look in the service manual you will see there is a preload spec and torq spec for the spacer that i'm talking about ... It is possible that Mother Kawi over torqed that spacer from the factory causing some of the frames to fail under normal riding ...06 and 07 are all the same and Kawi has sold a ton of these bikes and we have only seen 3 or 4 with this problem ..I would say there are a few more we didn't hear about ... Still that is a very small number .....Nobody has raced their bike harder than me and there are 1000s of guys racing these bikes with turbos , spray and built motors and none have reported a problem while racing .. So don't worry !! Go ahead and install your turbo and have fun ...

Ignore this member   
fury

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2008 02:39 PM        
cool...
So Smokin what your saying is I am going back to the dealer to have any motor work done....
They can buy the new frame...
I will have to warn them due to the fact I want no headaches... At least I know it will be torked properly and if there are any issues they can foot the bill...

cool...

I am a lic 6Gtigwelder and I wont touch it.
I can never match the alum 100 percent... (filler rod wise)

Ignore this member   
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2008 03:14 PM        
quote:
BUTTA ITS ME STARR GIVE ME A CALL OR CALL LADIE NINJA...YOU NEED A NEW FRAME SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE BIKE...I JOKE A LOT BUT THIS IS SERIOUS SHIT..HOLLA BACK AND LET ME HELP IF YOU NEED ME BRO...DONT TRY TO WELD OR MIG IT WILL CRACK AGAIN....BETTER BUSS. BUREA...OR LAWYER...QUICK

I called Lady Ninja this morning. That's who I was talking about in the post earlier. she is reaching out to some folks for me.
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

butta4hc

Expert Class
posted April 21, 2008 03:25 PM        
quote:
I don't think i would try to repair that. My opinion is to have kaw replace that frame.... Bill...

Even if the racing history is brought into question do you really think they would replace it? I am waiting on a call back from a woman named Lady Ninja. If there is anyone I think can get it done she can. Starr, my number is 973.390.2469. Anyone who feels the need to call me please do so.

oldfrt

Parking Attendant
posted April 22, 2008 04:11 AM        
http://www.zx14ninja.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7408&highlight=frame+crack

There's a history of frame cracks posted in the "other" ZX14 forum. I believe that Kawasaki went to a different casting method for the cast frame components in 08.

Several people believe that the failures could have resulted from improper pre-heat. Failure seems to mostly be in the heat affected zone just adjacent to the weld.

Ignore this member   
14black

Expert Class
posted April 22, 2008 06:15 AM        
Smokin', would heating that area help when removing that bolt? Just curious...
  Ignore this member   
billeason

Zone Head
posted April 22, 2008 07:49 AM        
That bolt is not hard to get out, you just have to follow smokin's intructions and no heat needed. There may be some other cause but the one i have seen were factory install problems, The other one was done by my tech, and he admited it. That's what got me chasing the problem with warranty rep'' he did not come out an admit there was a plant install problem,but do you rememeber the early release delay on these bikes. Like i said if it ain't cracked don't worry about it and if you pull the motor make damn sure whoever does it is aware of this process. We took one of the cracked frames welded it and installed spacer/bolt and torqued it just to see what it would take, trust me it dont take much,the way this is designed that spacer buts one hell of a leverage spread against that frame. If an air gun hits it its cracked THAT SIMPLE!! Good eye lee, if you look at that same picture real good at the bottom of the spacer where it seats to the frame you can just see where the washer end of the spacer has mashed in to the frame, The bottom of the spacer itself has nurled over just slightly. Thats the bitch of this problem'' very easy to screw up and not even know it. Kaw has givin'n me no problems at all with replacement frames'' but they don't have numbers with them. We decided to weld the two here and to date no problems'' however they were cracked/not broke or seperated like this one. Ps lee have you got any motors to sell yet?

Ignore this member   
oldfrt

Parking Attendant
posted April 22, 2008 07:58 AM        

Here's some more pictures of other bikes with broken frames

Ignore this member   
billeason

Zone Head
posted April 22, 2008 08:10 AM        
Old news bud'' I have spoken to most of the guys with the bikes,and some ins,co. There's not a big amount of them being claimed on or my guess only a small amount of 14's had a problem. Bill....

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted April 22, 2008 10:22 AM        
I noticed while pulling my motor that this could occur...
Great post smokin...

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted April 22, 2008 10:10 PM        Edited By: ninja14 on 22 Apr 2008 22:16
The manual has a NOTE on page 8-10 that says to hold the bolt w/ the allen and torque the nut - makes sense how problems arise.

Page 8-6 explains removal and turning the bolt to make a gap.

It is something that would be easy to have problems with if you don't read the manual or know what you are doing.

Ignore this member   
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted April 23, 2008 08:03 AM        
CALLED CORP KAWI ABOUT CRAKED FRAME, MUST BE DEALER INSPECTED THEY SAY

quote:
That bolt is not hard to get out, you just have to follow smokin's intructions and no heat needed. There may be some other cause but the one i have seen were factory install problems, The other one was done by my tech, and he admited it. That's what got me chasing the problem with warranty rep'' he did not come out an admit there was a plant install problem,but do you rememeber the early release delay on these bikes. Like i said if it ain't cracked don't worry about it and if you pull the motor make damn sure whoever does it is aware of this process. We took one of the cracked frames welded it and installed spacer/bolt and torqued it just to see what it would take, trust me it dont take much,the way this is designed that spacer buts one hell of a leverage spread against that frame. If an air gun hits it its cracked THAT SIMPLE!! Good eye lee, if you look at that same picture real good at the bottom of the spacer where it seats to the frame you can just see where the washer end of the spacer has mashed in to the frame, The bottom of the spacer itself has nurled over just slightly. Thats the bitch of this problem'' very easy to screw up and not even know it. Kaw has givin'n me no problems at all with replacement frames'' but they don't have numbers with them. We decided to weld the two here and to date no problems'' however they were cracked/not broke or seperated like this one. Ps lee have you got any motors to sell yet?

I spoke to someone name Greg on the Kawi corp line and he looked up my vin and from there he told me to take it to an authorized Kawi Dealership for inspection and the dealership will in turn get back to corp Kawi with their findings. I am looking to possibly take it to Ricky's shop in South Jersey and let his people take a look at it. My hopes is that Ricky's obvious weight with Kawasaki will make a positive defining difference in replacing my frame.
Plan B is that I have a guy who is meticulous when it comes to dismantling a bike. I will let him do the teardown then take my frame to our local weld magicians.
Plan C is to keep an eye out for a frame for sale. Which could be very expensive to swap out everything on my own money. A rolling chassis would be nice. But to find a 14 for sale with a blown motor would be even nicer.
Plan D. Cut my losses. Get used to the RC51 for the season and part my bike out. Start fresh next year with a new one or a nice 08 leftover. Let's hope that it doesn't come this far.

Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted April 23, 2008 10:31 AM        
How much you want for your broken 14? Are you in New Jersey?

For the proper deal, I guess I could buy it off you. For a parts bike, ya know?

Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted April 23, 2008 05:41 PM        
quote:
How much you want for your broken 14? Are you in New Jersey?

For the proper deal, I guess I could buy it off you. For a parts bike, ya know?

HOLD THAT THOUGHT!!!! I think I am in luck. I spoke to a good friend of mine who works as a service manager at Motorcycle Mall in Belleville , NJ which happens to be an "authorized Kawasaki dealership" and he told me to hustle the bike down to him and they will start the claim. He said Kawasaki will "want' to see my frame damage and I will get a new frame from them in a few weeks if all goes smoothly. They have every intention of taking care of me there. MC Mall is not the normal place I do business and so it slipped my mind that Vince works there. Me an him go back to him rebuilding my ZX11 engine. They will swap everything and at the advice of my internet heckler/good buudy STARR, I will look into some goodies for the bike while it is in pieces. Sooooooo...we will see how it goes. As of right now it looks on the up and up. Kinda funny I think I will have to title the same bike twice in 2 months, lol. Does anyone knows how a dealership frame swp works?

phawkins

Parking Attendant
posted January 28, 2010 03:44 AM        
zx14 rolling chassis

I need a complete rolling chassis. I have a new motor. (1400 Kawasaki, 2007) Can u help me? Direct me in the right direction.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted January 28, 2010 04:21 AM        
Try the classifieds. Post this up. Also try psychobike.com there are a lot of parts that go through their classifieds

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted January 28, 2010 04:37 AM        
quote:

Here's some more pictures of other bikes with broken frames

Link does not work?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: PICS OF CRACKED FRAME (NEAR REAR SUSPENSION) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.794766902924 seconds processing time