Honda VFR1200F / VFR 1200 F / VFR1200
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > VFR1200.com > Thread: Stick a Fork in It - They're Done - A Bad Economy Swallows up Buell NEW TOPIC POST REPLY
14nooby

Zone Head
posted October 15, 2009 09:45 AM        
Competition is always good so this is bad news for the consumer. I would not own a Buell or a HD if they were free but honestly don't like to see this stuff happen. When there is no competition left we all get screwed. I mean hell most of us on here ride a 14 and why is the 14 available? Because Suzuki built the Busa which ruled the market so Kawi being a good competitior unleashed the 14.
  Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted October 15, 2009 09:55 AM        
Some of Eriks designs are Superior over Japan it has the potential to move ahead if marketed with a engine to match the advancements.

Ignore this member   
Killjoy_1

Novice Class
posted October 15, 2009 10:42 AM        
I own a 14 and a 2008 Fat Boy. Two different bikes for two different reasons. Flaming on those who embrace the "Harley" lifestyle is counter-productive to the sport. If they want to wear the same clothes and hang out, let them. How is it affecting you and your riding ability? We all wear someone's logo for some reason and feel closeness to others that wear the same as us. Maybe that's the reason some of us wear 14 related gear and hang out with each other. My philosophy has always been this: if you are making the payment for my ride, then you can dictate what I ride. If you aren't, then go screw yourself and shut the f*ck up!
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted October 15, 2009 11:09 AM        
I have had the displeasure of having to service a # of HD's at my shop and they remind me of Ducatis (which I also can't stand since I've had the displeasure of servicing them) they both make tremendous noise and shake so much you can't even tell if a catastrophic failure is gonna happen. Then all of a sudden they stop because something catastrophic did happen. 2 bikes I can remember as clear as day both HD and Duc came into my shop for catastrophic failures. Both were idling when they decided to quit. Hardley threw a rod , Duc broke a cam!
Not to mention countless other failures that should never happen to a motorcycle. Now those are not things I want to happen when I'm 1000 miles from home ,or anytime that I am owning such a bike. I give em a

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted October 15, 2009 11:16 AM        
You don't get the point either, did you buy your fat boy to ride or to dress up and hang out. What I'm saying is harley has been selling alot of bikes to the crowd that buys the bike so they can buy the clothes and knic knacks. and Harley can't keep depending on that most harley shops have a bigger clothing section then bike section. ya I have a zx 14 shirt but you know what I'm talking about. I also love the guys and gals in full harley outfit and you ask them what they ride and they don't own a bike. I don't flame anyone for riding anything if they ride.and if your a guy that likes to ride your harley and i mean trips and day rides then you know the harley type I'm refering to. it's not you. now If you own more t -shirts then you have miles on your bike well then sorry. i happen to know two guys that own harleys and the only day they leave the garage is on thursdays for bike night they really only ride them about 15 miles a week all year. that's what I don't get. But you can blame that on harleys prices kinda priced the real riders out of the game and now you got rich guys that just want a bike. And yes I have owned a Buell and two new harleys in the past a soft tail and a road king and the who time I owned them I never get into the look game i bought them to ride. really there are more posers on harleys then any other bike out there. i tried to ride with the local hog chapter at the time but finally got fed up because there idea of a day ride was 12 hrs for 100 miles. Now I have two bikes and ride with a group that rides 400 Miles in 10hrs and has fun riding. and hopefully you enjoy bith of your bikes. it's to bad I actually had told my wife an 1125r might be my next bike. I love riding my buddies when we switch. sorry if you take me wrong I want harley to be around another 100yrs but I think they are going to have to make changes to get the guys in the dealers for the bikes and not the image. my wife said it best one day when we where at the Harley shop so I could buy some Buell pegs, she said i really like some of there clothes you should buy a harley so I can wear some of them.
  Ignore this member   
Halvefast

Zone Head
posted October 15, 2009 11:33 AM        
You gotta feel for Erik, it's kinda like you send you kid out into the world to grow and prosper, and someone takes your dreams away. The dude is almost in tears :o/
Streetriders Shootout 2008 series Pro/ET Champ!
Streetriders Shootout 2007 Series Pro/ET Runner-up!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Halvefast's homepage. 
Tarzan

Expert Class
Modulator
posted October 15, 2009 12:16 PM        Edited By: Tarzan on 16 Oct 2009 02:17
Adios
Mother
Fuckers

Ignore this member   
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted October 15, 2009 01:24 PM        
If you can find that sweet spot on a Harley,it'll match the heart beat inside and I feel one with the bike.I enjoy the ride and the view.Perhaps those that wick it up enjoy the road.I've learned that when I did drugs,nothing competed with the highs or lows.Consequentially,everything else was rather mundane.Now that I've been off the drugs and slowed down,it is amazing how much joy the little things in life can bring.Sure,I like a good blast every now and then but most of my riding is done at a more leisurely pace.Old school where one could take a ride and straighten out what was bothering himself,see the beauty of the land and the smell of the air.If you think your gear is so important, think what those bicycle riders wear.They can go the same speed as regular traffic and don't seem for the worse.I've had ten get offs already and the last one,I was lucky enough not to be wearing a helmet.Speaking of which,it is always an event when you crack your visor to let in some air and a bee comes in.My leathers cost me $1400 for the full suit.I save that for the track and some times for a ride.To each his own I guess.Woke the smackhouse up a little did I with the fuckwad comment?

Ignore this member   
zx-twitch

Expert Class
the dude abides
posted October 15, 2009 01:59 PM        
ok the loss of american jobs sucks but from there who cares. so they own in the ama in a class built for them to win. and I am so sick of hearing of the great american sport bike. its not even an american engine. american people would love to see an american sport bike. but none of this belt drive fuel in the frame crap. we want a conventional sportbike built in america. it took forever but BMW finally figured it out and there doing pretty good in WSB for there first year. I bet it will make for a pretty good street bike too.

when harley bought MV I thought maybe just maybe they could pool resourses and build somthing worth while. but I guess not.

LOOKS LIKE ERIC BUELL HAS MORE THAN JUST BLASTS TO CRUSH NOW.

Ignore this member   
Lanceromance

Parking Attendant
posted October 15, 2009 03:53 PM        
It's easy to ridicule the fallen. I'm a pure sportbike fan and never understood Harley's. Why would anyone ever pay the money for antique dated technology. But then I remind myself that those who buy harleys arent in it for performance. There buying into a lifestyle, image, and american haritage. And if that makes you feel good about what you paid for your bike then I say good for you. I like to pay for cutting edge technology. I was always hoping that Buell would bring that someday, I even was rooting for the Harley VR1000 at the Daytona races. I think it would be incredible to see an american sportbike finally play ball with the big 4 japanese. Better yet I think it would have been more incredible to someday own an american sportbike that I could ride next to any jap sportbike and keep up with them. That never happened and as a business owner I can surmise why. Harley has always enjoyed high profit margins on their low tech bikes through simple marketing. There's big money in that type of marketing approach and I think that might have been the mindset when they aquired Buell. "Lets not make the fastest, cutting edge technology but appear that we are and sell it with high profit margins and we'll win" seemed to be Harley's stance on things. In one way I'm glad it happened, so as to show them they really have to ante up (which costs money in the short run), but as someone stated I earlier I hate to hear any american company go under.
  Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 16, 2009 10:13 AM        Edited By: SteveWFL on 17 Oct 2009 00:15
Stick a Fork in It - They're Done - A Bad Economy Swallows up Buell

I dont agree with the subject title. One example: Ducati is seeing sales higher than ever before in the history of their company in this economy, and opening additional dealerships in America. I think Bikeland had an article about it too?

Anyway, maybe the title would be better stated "BUELL CAN NO LONGER STAY IN BUSINESS AGAINST ITS COMPETITORS"

Am I wrong here?

Here is what sux, Merry Christmas Buell employees:

"The decision will result in a reduction over time of about 80 hourly production positions and about 100 salaried positions at Buell. Employment will end for a majority of Buell employees Dec. 18, 2009."

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted October 16, 2009 10:23 AM        
I think that is most of the sadness America out of the game is HD next?

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted October 16, 2009 10:59 AM        
quote:
is HD next?

Oh gee I hope so ! Its all this boy wants for christmas
But even then the custom chopper and hog shops will still build replica relics.
Cylindrically deficient is what I call them!

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 16, 2009 01:55 PM        

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
KikonZX14

Pro
Novice
posted October 16, 2009 02:29 PM        
Well, this makes you think about the whole American automotive area and what is actually happening with GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. Will they survive against the fierce competition and new technologies coming out of Asia? Consider yourselves lucky because if I'm not wrong, you are still not flooded with Chinese made cars. Here in Chile there are at least 8-10 different brands of Chinese made cars, pick-up trucks, and trucks, and we are a small country (17MM inhabitants). They cost 3/4 or even 1/2 of the price of an American, Korean or Japanese vehicle.
Not sure if it's part of the romanticism that each one has, but it's sad to see this happening.
Hugs,
David
Feel the need for SPEED2007 ZX-14 Black with Red Flames (Helibars, Sliders, Yoshimura TRC Ti 4-2 Slip Ons, Fender Eliminator, Zero Gravity SR Windscreen, Custom Heel Guards , Speedohealer V4, Pazzo Levers -soon to come: Flies out / PCV w/A/T kit and later 16T sprocket)1990 Honda Steed (Japan model same as Shadow)1993 Kawasaki Vulcan EN 500 (gone as I trade it in for the ZX-14)Santiago, Chile, South America

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 19, 2009 09:51 AM        
The Chinese cars will be in America soon too, especially considering GM did a merger with a Chinese company and sold the Hummer brand to China.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2009 09:52 AM        
quote:

I'll take one!

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2009 12:07 PM        
Is that for real
  Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2009 12:09 PM        
cause i will take one as well
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 19, 2009 12:28 PM        
yes it is for real.

Bently

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2009 12:44 PM        
Where is that at, I did some looking and they are going that cheap and if i can find one within a few hours of me in the morning it's a done deal and there will be one in my garage!
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 19, 2009 12:46 PM        
nuther...

Bently

Needs a life
posted October 19, 2009 12:50 PM        
I'm going shopping tomorrow!
  Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted October 19, 2009 01:32 PM        
Wow Good deal and they are going to still honer the warranty's

Ignore this member   
Speedbump

Expert Class
posted October 19, 2009 02:53 PM        
Sad i like my Buell. I have never had a problem with it and i didn't pay that much for it. Sucks

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > VFR1200.com > Thread: Stick a Fork in It - They\'re Done - A Bad Economy Swallows up Buell NEW TOPIC POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.42331409454346 seconds processing time