Honda VFR1200F / VFR 1200 F / VFR1200
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > VFR1200.com > Thread: Honda Releases All-New VFR1200F for 2010 NEW TOPIC POST REPLY
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 08, 2009 12:51 PM        Edited By: FastestBusaAround on 9 Oct 2009 02:56
Interesting that it's running 12:1 compression and has a shitty little gas tank barely big enough to piss into, and knowing Honda, is probably way underpowered for its class, but it is very sexy; I'll give it that. I'd bet it's also way overpriced, as is so fucking typical of Honda - charging large unjustified premiums for under-performing machinery. The fact that they DIDN'T publish TQ or HP ratings makes me think it's weak. It is in fact, a cheap copy of a BMW 1300S, if you look carefully. I think it has a major identity crisis and can't see how this could possibly be comfortable for a passenger. It doesn't get my vote.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted October 08, 2009 01:46 PM        
quote:
613 lbs. for the dual clutch version...

Keep in mind masszx14, the ZX-12R was 550 wet, so this is heavier but not THAT much heavier. Also I suspect we're looking at a lower COG which will make it feel lighter than it is.

Still I'm tempted to say I'd have liked something lighter, but not about to knock it before we get a chance to ride it. I've come to expect alot from Honda and wouldn't be a bit surprised if this thing rocks.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 08, 2009 02:26 PM        
by my best guess the curb weight of the manual tranny unit is about 590 lbs ... granted that's not light, but what's the wet weight of a stocker C14? a 14 or 12R or Busa... none of these bikes are featherweights and clock in at around 540 ++ and more. Dont even bother with the Vmax...

We're not talking about an 1198 or a 600cc sportbike.. and I have to give it to Honda for giving real - world curb weights ... would be great if all the OE's did the same.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 08, 2009 02:37 PM        
I miss the point on most of these machines. My zx14 is comforatble enough for 5-8 hrs at a time with a 2" rise on the clip ons, and way more powerful.... the c14 has bags at least for multi day rides I have ridden past a few FJR1300 in my travels, and they didn't last any longer in my mirror, than they did in front of me.

.... thats my simple perspective.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 08, 2009 02:42 PM        
how does that apply to this new machine?

dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 08, 2009 02:59 PM        
Unless you like honda for whatever reason, there are already comparatively better, and much more powerful bikes IMO.
Like I said, maybe I am missing the point again with my simple perspective.
what is the niche for a sport tour with small tank, weak power, no bags?

6 pot nissins had my interest piqued if thats any value, but automatics are gay.

What is so special , trend setting, or ground breaking with this bike?
I am not trying to be an ass.
Maybe you can shed more light?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 08, 2009 03:05 PM        
well, I'm not sure if anyone's qualified to pass judgment on the bike just yet... we havent even heard it run.. no one has any power specs and all we know are some general info about dimensions and a curb weight of the pre-production unit...

as for what other bikes can "outperform" a bike no one's ridden yet... that's interesting... are you kreskin?

I'v personally sat on it, which one ups you.

Rideharder

Zone Head
posted October 08, 2009 04:28 PM        
I'm considering on going out and buying this..
Time to hit the dealership.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rideharder's homepage. 
saaz

Parking Attendant
posted October 08, 2009 08:57 PM        
All those specs are all over the internet, at least for the Europe model. From one brochure

VFR1200F
Engine: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke UNICAM 76° V4
Capacity: 1,237 cm³
Max power: 127 kW / 10,000 min-1 (95/1/EC)
Max torque: 129 Nm / 8,750 min-1 (95/1/EC)
Fuel capacity: 18.5 litres
Seat height: 815 mm
Kerb weight: 267 kg

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 08, 2009 11:20 PM        
170 HP
95 FT LBS

Not bad - maybe this thing does have some power after all...

nabrxx

Needs a job
posted October 09, 2009 12:02 AM        
I agree...there is something BMWesque about it..I looked again and I think it's the paint, the rear end and the badging that brings the beemer to mind...and the fact that it is Looooonnngg.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 09, 2009 01:31 AM        
quote:
170 HP
95 FT LBS

That's the claimed power at the crank? That's it!?!?!

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted October 09, 2009 02:00 AM        
Not everyone drag races. For 99% of the riders out there, they don't need any more power then that. That will cruise at 150mph ALL DAY LONG! It's not claiming to be a zx14/hayabusa.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted October 09, 2009 02:14 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 9 Oct 2009 16:15
quote:
Not everyone drag races. For 99% of the riders out there, they don't need any more power then that. That will cruise at 150mph ALL DAY LONG! It's not claiming to be a zx14/hayabusa.

Uhh...yeah...but those are pretty lackluster figures to bring to the market, imo. If you are going to reinvent the wheel...make it better...right?

So, let me get my "spin doctoring" right:

Lackluster Power = "Not everyone drag races"

High Weight = "Feels lighter than it is"

I don't "just drag race". That has been my focus this past year, but I put around 18k street miles on my 12R. I'm looking at these bikes as a potential purchase down the line, so I am curious as to the design and performance.

I like the looks of this bike. But right now at lot of the potential design/class improvements seem to have been missed.

Shane

Ignore this member   
pissear

Expert Class
Professional Cockis Slap Peer
posted October 09, 2009 02:15 AM        
Check this out:

"Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 44mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance"

Single cam, PGM, digital ping with electronic advance and that shit apply is buy-bye 14.

Until they design some style on that bike so it stops looking like used toilet paper, I might buy one. Dis way, I'd have to hack it all up like the 14. Then it looks more like you can sit on your ass and wipe something off the map.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 09, 2009 04:17 AM        Edited By: dubious on 9 Oct 2009 20:48
quote:
well, I'm not sure if anyone's qualified to pass judgment on the bike just yet... we havent even heard it run.. no one has any power specs and all we know are some general info about dimensions and a curb weight of the pre-production unit...

as for what other bikes can "outperform" a bike no one's ridden yet... that's interesting... are you kreskin?

I'v personally sat on it, which one ups you.

We'll have to wait and see I guess

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted October 09, 2009 04:24 AM        
its a honda, which means well designed but won't outrun anything. it will last well and be dependable.
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted October 09, 2009 09:30 AM        
quote:
170 HP
95 FT LBS

Not bad - maybe this thing does have some power after all...

Thats only 5hp and about 5 or so ft-lbs of torque less than a first gen busa. But 267kg is 588.6 lbs wet, about 40lbs more pork to drag around than a first gen bus. And it does have a shaft drive to soak up some hp. I bet it'll still boogie pretty good for what it is tho

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 09, 2009 10:51 AM        
Shaft soaks a LOT of HP, and it's not geared like the Busa. It should be quick though...

oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted October 09, 2009 11:53 AM        Edited By: oncourse on 10 Oct 2009 02:03
My opinion is this, drive by wire does not have the response that drive by cable gives, you have to wait for the stepper motors to move. The seat looks uncomfortable, way more uncomfortable than the c-14. I would like to see a heads up comparison, c-14 vs vfr. especially the new c-14. I wander what control you could get if they made a pc3 pr pc5 for it...

The exhaust looks plain ugly, and also looks damn expensive, If I had the $$$ I might opt for the 2010 c-14, but my '08 has proven itself, no noise, runs like a bat out of hell and I can sit slumped over with one hand on the bars down the highway, Honda is not saying you will be able to do that, just that it is not as bad as their cbr series...

As far as shaft drive goes I give honda a thumbs up for the easy rear wheel removal, but I honestly thing that the patented tetra lever design is superior to honda.....

Honda has the weight down from the c-14, but as far as I am concerned The c-14 is more than anyone needs, especialy with flies out, slip on and pc3/5. I am sure that the c-14 has more power at the rear wheel with this setup, not to mention areap full system. I think If I were gadson, on my bike he could beat the 10.5 1/4 on the '09 stock.

I had hayabusas etc, this c-14 handles better in the riding I do, even with the stock tires, and the flies out slip on made a immmediate difference, very noticable.... I really think also that the c-14, despite it's weight has better brakes than by 2000 busa did.

linked abs is not a good idea in my honest opinion, they donot use it in cars/trucks that I know of, most all vehicles today are 4 wheel independant abs. Mine has no abs, never had a need for it yet, I can stop faster than I can go, there is some serious hp in those brakes which inspires total confidence in my ability to slow down from 150 to 45 in mere sec's.

Lastly, and listen carefully mfr's. consider direct injection, it would have saved 2 strokes forever, direct injection is they way to go, not only for fuel milage, but power as well. Cars are way ahead of bikes, and it should be the other way around....

That is my .02 worth,
lovin my 08 and now that it's cold out that heater works well...
Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 09, 2009 01:35 PM        
the r1 throttle is by wire and you cant tell any difference from a std version.

saaz

Parking Attendant
posted October 09, 2009 08:55 PM        
I hope that people remember in their comments that this bike has to meet Euro IV and beyond emissions and noise requirements for the next 10 years or so as it comes from the factory, which earlier bikes would not have a hope of meeting. Peak power tells me little about how a bike performs, so I will wait until a test with all the data.
  Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted October 10, 2009 06:29 AM        
quote:
the r1 throttle is by wire and you cant tell any difference from a std version.

Throttle by wire requiers much more ecu than throttle by cable, yes you do not need secondary flies, but what lies in the throtle by wire is a way more sophisticated system. Cars have been using them for years, there are pluses and minuses to it.

Throttle by wire on cars can limit what you can do in neutral, for instance a trailblazer will not go over 2k wot in neutral to save the engine, I might assume the same with bikes, and like I have mentioned many times bikes are way behind cars in terms of technology.

Bring 2 strokes back, they have a fun factor that no 4 stoke can produce, there was a guy who costom made a 2000 cc (4 kx500's) into a street bike, v4, that had to be one wild ride, given todays tech, and with 2 stroke direct injection they could meet emissions. it would kind of made moto gp bikes seems like dawgs, considering a kx500 one cyl can produce 110/HP if done right, then multiply that by 4, then add direct injection and tack on another 30+hp

2 strokes are half the weight and used to be 2x the power, not anymore. 4 strokes have closed the gap, but will not exceed what a 2 stroke can do, if tuned properly. They can even run upside down with no damage, are easier to start hot than a 4 stroke. 4 stroke tech is reaching it's limits....

I just hate to see big 2 strokes go, the outboard mfr's went to direct injection and are still going today, why not bikes????

All I have to say for now....
Reguards,
Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 10, 2009 06:43 AM        
LMAO....what...?
That tooka quick detour! LOL

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted October 10, 2009 11:33 AM        
dubious,
If you were refering to my post, it is that I have been in the engine related tech field for 20+ years, read all the magazines and articles I could fing, always learning. I am just displeased that they gave up on 2 storkes, big ones... Yamaha is the only mfr to still offer a 250 2 stroke... I know this is kinda off topic, but just wanted the mfr's to hear what I have tto say....

Part of the change to the c-14 happened because of forums like this, mfr's listen and watch to see what the people want, the new c-14 has a lot of nice goodies, 2010, honda doesn't even have bags available for the new vfr, and probably will not by the time it is released. Electric bikes will hold the future, more power and torque, as long as battery tech. keeps going, but even then you will not get the feeling of the ice, internal cumbustion engine. Just like in one of rush's albums, red barchetta... I think it was from2112 album. A forsight into the future way ahead of it's time......

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > VFR1200.com > Thread: Honda Releases All-New VFR1200F for 2010 NEW TOPIC POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.49692392349243 seconds processing time