Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Warning Light NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Laguna D

Parking Attendant
posted September 18, 2010 08:00 AM        
Warning Light

Last week I was 25 miles into my ride donig abou 50 mph when my 08 concours died. At first I thought I accedently hit the kill switch but it was in the on position. I just coasted to a stop. I opened the gas tank in case there was a vent problem and that seemed to be fine. I let it set for about 15 minutesand tried to start it again, with no success. I called a tow truck. After about 45 minutes I tried to start it again with no success. After about an hour and half the tow truck arived and I took it into the dealership. We unloaded it and while I was dealing with the tow truck driver the Machinic came over to the bike and cranked the starter and the bike started up no problem. The machinic has tried to replicate it to get it to happen again but with no success. This problem makes my bike unreliable and that sucks. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very greatful and will pass the info on to the Machinic
Thanks

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted September 19, 2010 01:45 AM        
When you were trying to start the bike, was there any power to the gauges? Was the relay clickin' away but nothing from the starter? Just thinking there may be a bad/burnt connection somewhere in the circuit or possibly some other issue.
Need more info of exactly what was going on when you'd tried it on the roadside vs. when the mechanic started the bike.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Hellmutt's homepage. 
Laguna D

Parking Attendant
posted September 19, 2010 03:35 AM        
Hey Hellmutt
Thanks for responding. There was power to the gauges, the starter was turning the engine over normally. When the warning Light was on, the display was displaying " FI ", I assume that means fuel injection? My Concours is low milage, only 6200 miles. I still have 30 days left on my warrantee.
Thanks
Darrell (lagund d)

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted September 19, 2010 05:54 AM        Edited By: Hellmutt on 19 Sep 2010 19:58
Is all good with the ECU connectors that control the FI?? I'm not too saavy about these things, just trying to help you think basics first before getting ankle deep.........head first
Possibly check your connections and grounds for any signs of arc or heat damage? I would trace circuits and just make sure it isn't a pinched wire or harness that's broken or grounding out somewhere

TedG

posted September 19, 2010 05:58 AM        
Sounds like your fuel pump shut down. Remember just because the dealer can't find the problem doesn't mean that they are not responsible for it's repair even after the warranty is expired. To be safe call Kawasaki and report the problem to have it on record.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted September 19, 2010 05:59 AM        
There ya go Ted, I didn't consider the pump or it's wiring either.........good call

TedG

posted September 19, 2010 06:10 AM        
Thanks, but the deal is that he reported the problem before the warranty expired and that makes them responsible. AND if he calls Kwak, they may have seen this problem before and know of a fix. That is the problem with most dealers, they wont call the factory. Fuel pumps can get hot and stop working and start after they cool.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted September 19, 2010 09:26 AM        
If I remember correctly, there was some issue on the 08's that had something to do with the ignition switch wiring that could cause that exact problem. I can't really remember what it was specifically, but there were a number of bikes that displayed those exact same symptoms. I hate to redirect, but there may be more discussion on this on concours.org. I remember some guys there having the same problem, and it wasn't the pump either, nor the FI.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
Laguna D

Parking Attendant
posted October 10, 2010 02:38 AM        
Update

Last week I put 100 miles on the bike with no problems, this totally sucks because I know it will happen again and it will most likely be where I have no cell phone signal. My warranty is expiring on November 5th. I guess I will buy an extented warranty. Thanks for your input and when I find the problem I will post it
Thanks
Laguna D

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted October 11, 2010 08:43 AM        
quote:
Last week I put 100 miles on the bike with no problems, this totally sucks because I know it will happen again and it will most likely be where I have no cell phone signal. My warranty is expiring on November 5th. I guess I will buy an extented warranty. Thanks for your input and when I find the problem I will post it
Thanks
Laguna D

Read my last post. Just go in and tell them the problem and let them try to track it down. Then you are covered until it is properly fixed.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 15, 2010 12:01 AM        
quote:
quote:
Thanks
Laguna D

Read my last post. Just go in and tell them the problem and let them try to track it down. Then you are covered until it is properly fixed.

word.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 15, 2010 02:48 AM        
Yup -

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
Laguna D

Parking Attendant
posted October 23, 2010 11:23 AM        
Thanks Ted
Would you have a phone number?
D________

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted October 23, 2010 02:05 PM        
quote:
Thanks Ted
Would you have a phone number?
D________

I think you can find Kwak customer service on their web site. I know that that the dealer will give it to you.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
Laguna D

Parking Attendant
posted November 20, 2010 05:04 AM        
Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem. I located the problem. I store my bike in my Shop, who would have thought mice would have got up into my wiring and chewed it up - but that is exactly what happened. They partially chewed the wire around the "lay down switch" that is what shut down the bike while I was riding. When I got to the dealer it was making contact again and it started. I could not replicate the problem again after putting 70 miles on it. It sat in my shop for about a week an a half, Just enough time for the mouse to finish it off. When I went to go for a ride the problem arose again. Took it to the dealer and after $325.00 in wiring repair problem solved. I am officially at war with the mice in my shop. I am now armed with D-con, mouse traps & electronic pest deturrants.
Thanks for your imput
Darrell

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Warning Light NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.4132239818573 seconds processing time