Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Stalling Issue on Brand New Concours NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
gyrocks

Parking Attendant
posted March 30, 2009 07:57 AM        
Stalling Issue on Brand New Concours

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum since i started deciding what should replace my SV-650. You all seem like great folks so I'm hoping maybe you can help me out with an issue I'm having on my new bike.

I just bought a 2008 Concours14 ABS (they were running such excellent discounts on the 08's i went for it) And, though I'm only 350 miles into breaking it in, I'm completely hooked. Its exactly what i was looking for in a new bike, the motor starts and runs and idles perfectly, the suspension and brakes and everything are all breaking in nicely.

Anyhoo, the problem: Any time i have the throttle approximately half or more open, and I close it quickly and grab the clutch, the revs drop, it stays at idle for just a beat and then the engine stalls. I know its not a maneuver that is done too often but still, it's a brand new bike. It's very consistent, it will do it every time. Keep in mind I am also not exceeding the 4k RPM limit for the first 500 of break-in.

So I'm wondering, has anybody else experienced anything like this? Anyone got any ideas? I should note that it always starts right back up when i thumb the starter and runs fine. Everything else about this bike is completely what I was looking for, so it's got me all flustered to have this on the back of my mind.

Thanks for your time!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 30, 2009 10:36 AM        Edited By: TedG on 31 Mar 2009 04:29
If the idle is too low it could do that, 1000 rpm minimum. If not it could be that the return throttle cable it too tight. It may have been adjusted to take up the slack and when you chop the throttle you are actually forcing the throttle closed. Try to put some more slack in the return cable and take up the slack in the pull cable.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted March 31, 2009 03:34 AM        
Haha, I had this exact same issue, and everyone just looked at me with blank stares. Did you turn your idle down? My buddy did on mine and that was the main problem. You should be idling around 1100 rpm, maybe 1200. I'm not sure if maybe I bumped the run switch a couple times but the problem is completely gone since I turned up the idle. I had the same problem on my ZX-14 because my buddy tinkered with it also. You'll probably see my thread that I just updated.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand
>>> MySpace --CLICK-- <<<

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Phytrax's homepage. 
gyrocks

Parking Attendant
posted March 31, 2009 07:52 PM        
Thanks for the replies guys, TedG On your advice, I did check the idle, it was idling at about 1250 or so, which is already a bit high, but just to be thorough i cranked it up a little, once I got up to about 1500RPM the problem disappeared in 3rd gear, but still occurred in 4th. So I dont think I can attribute it to that. I havent yet checked the actual throttle cables but i experimented with the throttle as the bike idled. When the idle was high on a cold start, if i forced the throttle grip against the stop, the idle would drop way low and stall the motor, but I was dismayed to discover that once the idle settled out, closing the throttle firmly had no effect at all on the idle. So I'm not sure how to interpret that I guess. I told the dealer about it, and I'm slated to bring it in to them on friday, but I wish I could find the problem myself, I dont want to miss a weekend of riding!
  Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 31, 2009 09:20 PM        
I get a funny feeling that the motor is just tight. I would try to ride it till it is broken in and then see. Kawasaki's motors are notoriously tight when new. I never just pull the clutch and drop the rpms. I may have to try it.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted April 01, 2009 02:27 AM        
Vaccuum leak? Bad sync? Just guesses....

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted April 04, 2009 08:45 AM        
I bet the idle you're checking is still when your engine's not fully warmed up, but ya, if it's not that...I'd go with the comment above. That bike can't go under 1100 under any circumstances. Did you do an exhaust?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Stalling Issue on Brand New Concours NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24591898918152 seconds processing time