Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Ted, how's the 09 ABS working for you now? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
The Pope

Novice Class
posted March 26, 2009 08:36 PM        
Ted, how's the 09 ABS working for you now?

When you first got the 09, you were having some rider issues with the ABS kicking in too soon for your riding style. Have you resolved this issue?

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 27, 2009 01:04 PM        
Well there is no resolution for it. It is mostly getting used to it. I slide the rear wheel, downshift hard, brake hard. All those things will get the ABS going and once you get used to it, things aren't so bad. Great no, but not so bad.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
The Pope

Novice Class
posted March 29, 2009 04:19 AM        
Good to hear that it's something that you can live with.

It would be nice if there were a way to adjust the engagement point of the ABS system. (Please let me know if I'm mistaken about this!)

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted March 29, 2009 07:34 AM        
Ted, do you have more confidence in the abs that your '08? I am used to regular brakes, abs takes your control away from you. Yes it can help, and yes it can hurt, just depends on the situation.

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 29, 2009 02:29 PM        
quote:
Ted, do you have more confidence in the abs that your '08? I am used to regular brakes, abs takes your control away from you. Yes it can help, and yes it can hurt, just depends on the situation.

Rob

Confidence.....hmmmm. I have no lack of confidence because I never ride at over 70% of my ability. It is more of a distraction. I went for a 350 mile ride Saturday and the rear ABS went off at least 60-70 times. It goes off a lot when I downshift. The good part is that it seldom goes off when you go into corners at 80+. The front ABS has yet to go off. The weight of the bike must really make that front end stick ot maybe the front ABS is not as sensitive.
Thinking of confidence while writing this, I think it is fun when the bike does weird stuff. Saturday I was driving around a car and I lofted the front wheel and had to lean over while the front end was still airborne, it gave a good wiggle when it touched down as I was shifting into second and all I could do was smile and gas it. I wanted to do that again. So when the ABS goes off it is sometimes fun, sometimes annoying, sometimes distracting, and sometimes (more and more) a non event.
But with all that being said, I may try to do something to lessen the effect. Maybe with another line form the MC to the caliper or a valve restrict the ABS, I don't know yet. I do know this, under normal circumstances (not cooking it into a corner) It seldom goes off.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
The Pope

Novice Class
posted April 08, 2009 10:04 PM        
Ted,

Have you looked at the thread titled "ABS Switch in the works or DIY solution?" on the other site?

It's given me some ideas on how the ABS can possibly be disabled when your only using the rear brake. (I persume you issue with the ABS is when your trail braking (rear brake only))

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 09, 2009 12:59 AM        
No, I haven't but I most certainly will look.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 09, 2009 02:33 PM        
I read it and I have a thought, it might not kick in so soon if the rear brake light switch was disconnected from the ABS because it usually kicks in if I am using the rear only or rear first (unless I unload the rear). Then just hook up the tail light to the switch and diode isolate it from the ABS and make it so I can switch it on and off. Easy to test all I need to do is disconnect the switch. Then if that works I can add some historisis (delay the signal to the ABS unit) and all would be good. Hmmmm I like that one that way the ABS is intact but only slightly delayed.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted April 09, 2009 08:24 PM        
Just remember that both brake light switches are in parallel and either on can turn on the abs for both wheels, however abs will not kick in unless there is hydraulic pressure and slippage at the wheel. So if you have some front brake applied (brake light activated) rear abs should still work the way it does now.
Something to think about..

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 10, 2009 01:09 AM        
That is why I was thinking of separating it from the parallel hookup, I would diode isolate it. It may be the trigger, it may not, only one way to find out.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
The Pope

Novice Class
posted April 10, 2009 06:20 AM        
My idea was to try and use a second brake pressuer switch (normaly open) or a relay in the front brake system. Remove the fuse for the ABS system, then wire this switch or relay with an inline fuse back to where the ABS fuse was. With this type of circuit, the ABS system would be in a deactivated state until you were using the front brakes.
Now I don't know if the ABS system will or will not reactivate if set-up this way. So someone would need to test this to see IF it would work.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Ted, how\'s the 09 ABS working for you now? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.48927783966064 seconds processing time