Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: OIL 4 Quarts Not 5 Why? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
jailcop

Novice Class
posted March 21, 2009 05:09 AM        
OIL 4 Quarts Not 5 Why?

This might be a stupid question but I just did my oil change. The book says 5 quarts but I put 4 in and it's at the correct level. Why? I know some oil stays in the engine but 1 whole quart sounds like a lot. And yes I changed the filter too.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2009 06:19 AM        
Did you start it yet?
  Ignore this member   
jailcop

Novice Class
posted March 21, 2009 06:32 AM        
Yes started and ran it for a few minutes 2X. I'm waiting for it to settle from a ride around the block to see if it changes. Also I looked at the invoice from my first service and it was 4 quarts.

quote:
Did you start it yet?

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 21, 2009 01:03 PM        
When I did a filter and oil change it took about 4 3/4 quarts to bring it up to the the top line after starting.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted March 21, 2009 01:10 PM        
Ted is 100% right, it is 4.75 quarts, done it 2x and the number is perfect.

The only way it would be wron is if you did not drain it long enough, but yes i has to be run for a while and let it sit for like 10 min's then with the bike verticak and level recheck it, middle of the glass is what I shoot for or a little above, you do not want to overfill either.

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
jailcop

Novice Class
posted March 22, 2009 12:54 AM        
I can't understand this. I warmed the bike up, shut it off and pulled the drain plug. I let it drain for almost an hour because I had to go get a filter wrench. Came home pulled the filter, installed the new one and put the plug in. Put in 4 quarts and started it up, shut it off let it sit for awhile. When I looked it was right in the middle of the 2 lines. I took it for a short ride and checked it again and it's still between the lines. Like I said the book clearly says 5US Quarts. My dealer said 4 quarts will fill it and my invoice from my last oil change that the dealer did was for 4 quarts. I looked for a second drain plug (my ZZR12 had 3) but didn't see any. It just doesn't make sense. I might be able to add another few ounces to get it up near the top line but no where near 4.5 or 4.75 as some others have said it takes to fill it.

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted March 22, 2009 04:16 AM        
JC,
Did you drain it on the center stand, or check it on the center stand.
I drain mine on the sidestand (as the plug is in the left front of the pan get the most out.
Then put it on the centerstand todo the filter, then back on the sidestand to fill and run. I shut it off and check the level like 5 min's later by being on the right side sitting down and pulling the r/s bar towards me untill it is at the center of the balance point.

I would not worry about 4 qts, but I always use 4 3/4.
Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
jailcop

Novice Class
posted March 22, 2009 05:03 AM        
No, I did the the oil change on the center stand.
quote:
JC,
Did you drain it on the center stand, or check it on the center stand.
I drain mine on the sidestand (as the plug is in the left front of the pan get the most out.
Then put it on the centerstand todo the filter, then back on the sidestand to fill and run. I shut it off and check the level like 5 min's later by being on the right side sitting down and pulling the r/s bar towards me untill it is at the center of the balance point.

I would not worry about 4 qts, but I always use 4 3/4.
Rob

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted March 22, 2009 10:50 AM        
You might not have got it all out, that plug is in the left front, with the engine leaning left you can get more oil out. I usually pick the bike straight up when it is not draining fast, then shake it to the right and left then put it back on the sidestand, gets a lot of the oil in the motor to come out as it sits in places. I think if you would have drained it on the sidestand the results would have been different...

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
2000redrocket

Pro
posted March 28, 2009 11:40 AM        
i did mine twice and was impressed i had to get 5 qts and use most of it. i did it on the center stand.do not forget to do the rear gear oil.it does not hold much and book says every oil change. i love (like a lot) this bike.
  Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted March 29, 2009 07:46 AM        
It is a great bike, no doubt, cannot wait for the full system dyno results from FM. Even after owning it for a year I have nothing to say bad about t except the weight, Mine always took 4 3/4 qts, and I have changed it 2x since new, now 1003 miles on it.

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: OIL 4 Quarts Not 5 Why? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.34473490715027 seconds processing time