Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Gas Mileage Sucks NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
jailcop

Novice Class
posted June 30, 2008 05:39 AM        Edited By: jailcop on 30 Jun 2008 12:40
Gas Mileage Sucks

I have not ridden my bike a lot lately. Mostly short trips of 20 miles or so on the highway and one 50-60 mile back road run. Today I went to get gas and when I checked the mileage it said 134 miles. I checked it against my gas log in the computer thinking maybe I accidentally reset my trip meter but nope 134 it is. Now in defense of the bike the low fuel light came on one mile from the gas station but still 134 miles to reserve THAT SUCKS>...I don't ride it hard either, I hardly ever go over 5000 RPM's. My ZZR1200 would average about 220 miles per tank or about 42-44 MPG. The C14 is at about 35 MPG but the overall on the trip computer says 40 MPG> It LIES

Ignore this member   
nswenson

Novice Class
posted June 30, 2008 06:39 AM        
Is your bike completely stock, including exhaust? I've found the bike computer fairly accurate on mine until I starting adding mods. I've got the ideal setup now with flies out, holeshot exhaust, PC3 with economy map which is giving low to mid 40's mpg and excellent performance. My modded bike is getting about 2-3 mpg better than I was getting is stock trim and it performs MUCH better. My last trip I got 250 and 265 miles out of a couple tanks. Not too bad.

'00 K1200LT

Ignore this member   
phytrax

Zone Head
posted June 30, 2008 08:53 AM        
I've got over 220 miles out of a tank on the Connie but it was almost all interstate, around 80 mph. I noticed the gas mileage improved a lot over the first 500 miles. Went from about 34mpg highway to about 42.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand
>>> MySpace --CLICK-- <<<

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Phytrax's homepage. 
jailcop

Novice Class
posted June 30, 2008 11:50 AM        
Almost Stock

quote:
Is your bike completely stock, including exhaust? I've found the bike computer fairly accurate on mine until I starting adding mods. I've got the ideal setup now with flies out, holeshot exhaust, PC3 with economy map which is giving low to mid 40's mpg and excellent performance. My modded bike is getting about 2-3 mpg better than I was getting is stock trim and it performs MUCH better. My last trip I got 250 and 265 miles out of a couple tanks. Not too bad.

The only changes to the bike is the Hole Shot slip on and mid pipe..

Ignore this member   
nswenson

Novice Class
posted June 30, 2008 03:44 PM        
quote:
quote:

Ok, now I know why your mileage is poor. Although it would seem counter-intuitive, the concours14 actually runs more rich as you free up the exhaust. If you check the power commander maps for after-market exhausts you'll see that a large amount of fuel is removed through-out the rev range. The bike's computer actually over compensates for increased exhaust flow. Check the tip of your exhaust. I bet it has a lot of black carbon on it due to the your bike running overly rich. I strongly recommend that you get a power commander. You'll get way more power out of your setup with a boost in mileage that will more than pay for the power commander in the long run. Additionally you'll be able to remove your flies which will give you more performance increase than all other mods combined.

'00 K1200LT

Ignore this member   
jailcop

Novice Class
posted June 30, 2008 09:59 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, now I know why your mileage is poor. Although it would seem counter-intuitive, the concours14 actually runs more rich as you free up the exhaust. If you check the power commander maps for after-market exhausts you'll see that a large amount of fuel is removed through-out the rev range. The bike's computer actually over compensates for increased exhaust flow. Check the tip of your exhaust. I bet it has a lot of black carbon on it due to the your bike running overly rich. I strongly recommend that you get a power commander. You'll get way more power out of your setup with a boost in mileage that will more than pay for the power commander in the long run. Additionally you'll be able to remove your flies which will give you more performance increase than all other mods combined.

I never thought about that with the bike being fuel injected. When I put the Hole Shot exhaust on my ZZR the gas mileage actually went up a bit but that bike wasn't fuel injected.

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted July 01, 2008 09:13 AM        
My computer long range average is 42.5, but I know it's not that good in reality. It did go up after flies out pc3 however. I am not riding highways at a leisurly pace, mostly back roads and stop and go. I wish there was a reserve, a physical one, then I could fill it to a certain marked point on the tank, and run it again untill I hit reserve and fill it again. I do not trust the computer to tell me something exactly. Like the fuel low light on my car sometimes comes on at 1/4 tank, sometimes 1/8. Besides, like I said in the other fuel post, the speedo is not accurate, so even that comes into play, there are a lot of variables to this..

My 2 cents,
Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
rifleman223

Novice Class
posted July 01, 2008 02:24 PM        
Is there anyyone that can help get me the Map for Fuel economy please?
  Ignore this member   
nswenson

Novice Class
posted July 01, 2008 04:30 PM        
quote:
Is there anyyone that can help get me the Map for Fuel economy please?

The one I have is for flies out with aftermarket exhaust. If you have this configuration then PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

'00 K1200LT

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted July 01, 2008 10:28 PM        
Much obliged for the thread. I love the idea of the C14, but w/gas prices and engine heat issues, I'm going to hold off for now. It's still a good bit bulky and heavy for what I want just yet, anyway. This sort of sealed the deal.

Thanks, again. Enjoy.

Ignore this member   
sykotek-c14

Novice Class
posted July 02, 2008 10:55 PM        
For what it's worth I'm averaging 46 with a few fillups at 48-49mpg on my c14. Just filled 2 days ago, 256 miles and took 5.4 gallons. I'm stock except for a full 2006 ZX14 dual exhaust with muzzy slip ons.

2008 Concours-14 (Currently Own)
1995 ZX600C (Currently Own)
2003 CBR1100XX (Sold)
2002 Shadow Aero 1100 (sold)
1981 CB650 (Gave Away)
2000 ZX11D8 (Sold)
1984 LTD440 (Rusted to Death)
1999 GSX750F (Totaled!)
1998 Shadow Tourer A.C.E. (Traded)
1982 Honda Magna V45 (Traded (Yes, really traded))

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted July 03, 2008 02:18 AM        
Very nice. Thanks for the input. Out of interest (Not to confuse the thread.), but what is your take on the engine heat issue? Problem, or no?
  Ignore this member   
donnbauer

Novice Class
posted July 03, 2008 03:58 AM        
cls, if your foam is installed correctly there is no heat issue. Some have had the foam either put in or shifted to the incorrect place and that lets the engine heat vent directlty on to your shins otherwise less heat than most bikes. If your the shorts and flip flop type any bike will warm your legs but The connie less than most. Bought mike bike in Las Vegas and my first ride was in 111 degree temps in full touring armour, legs were fine, head melted but legs were fine

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted July 03, 2008 05:16 AM        
Yep, I've heard the insulation check and a couple thousand miles are all it takes. Some still complain afterwards. I"m trying to be extra cautious because I went through the same thing w/my '05 FJR. So many said, "No problem." Mine roasted me out of the cockpit. I'll stay tuned and follow it into the '09 model.

Thanks much for the feedback.

Ignore this member   
LDSRIDER

Parking Attendant
posted July 10, 2008 10:41 AM        
I only have about 900 miles on it, but I am getting about 42-45 from work and back, I got 50 on a tank this last weekend which included a few 100+ stints.

Are you guys driving it like you stole it?

LDSRIDER

Ignore this member   
Lean dummy

Parking Attendant
Just a few more miles...
posted July 27, 2008 04:17 AM        
I have 5500 miles. All stock. First tank driving normal. 36mpg. Couple weeks ago did SS1000 for 1100+miles. First segment early am hours 65 degrees on the slab 100+mph 34.12mpg . Later that afternoon 95 to 107 degrees on the slab 75-80 mph 47.79. The overall 1100 miles averaged 41.94mpg. The more miles the better it seems to be.
06 Wing sold
05 Venture sold
Lots of dirt bikes...

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted July 27, 2008 08:13 AM        Edited By: FastestBusaAround on 27 Jul 2008 15:14
3000 miles in 10 days and I got a measured 42 MPG at Interstate and back road speeds with average 85 degree temps and high humidity..

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
Lean dummy

Parking Attendant
Just a few more miles...
posted August 06, 2008 02:51 PM        
I just did BBG1500 miles in 24hrs last weekend with 10 different fuel stops. Flies are out w/ two bro exhaust and a moto fuel map. The highest section was 43 mpg. 70 mph on the slab ran an average of 37.89 using 42.7 gallonsin 1620 miles. There were sections of 90+mph steady slab running working out to a low of 34 mpg. This was between Spokane WA to North Dakota and back. There was plenty of mountian climbs, including 6500 ft contenential divide. It is appearent that driving styles have every thing to do with milage. Overall I got 37.8 mpg averaging 68 mph for the entire 24 hours, averageing 100 % of the time in.

I think that more normal speeds of constant 65-70 mph can produce better mileage, up to maybe even 50mpg. Looking at my fuel map I have designed for the most power is still quite lean. This weekend I will make a 400 mile trip with a more normal riding style and we'll see.

Regaurdless of what you are shooting for the power from removing the flies and putting in a PC will make you smile no matter what you are looking for. Its win win. I have 8K since May 08.
06 Wing sold
05 Venture sold
Lots of dirt bikes...

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted August 17, 2008 09:49 AM        
I think up to 50 mpg on a highway is possible, as least as far as what the screen says. But I do not trust what it is telling me either... My long term (600 mile) rolling average of no highways, all backroads, was 42.2 on the screen.

Today I was going to do some highway stuff, so I reset the avg counter, by the time I got home it was still climbing, 46.1 when I got home.

So, real world milage I have never calculated, wish it had reserve, but it definantly can do well on the highway, and is very smooth to boot, no vibes to speak of at any rpm.

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
rifleman223

Novice Class
posted August 17, 2008 01:19 PM        
IMO, if this bike (a 1400) can do 200 miles on its puny tank, it is a good day. I spend $20.00 a week in gas in Commiefornia.
  Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted August 18, 2008 09:36 AM        
It's not that small a tank, 5.5 gal I believe or thereabouts, my friends hardley has a 2 gal tank, he goes 70 miles per stop to fill up!! Now that sucks!

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 18, 2008 11:21 AM        
5.8 gallons to be precise...and I get 200 miles all day long, easy.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
rifleman223

Novice Class
posted August 18, 2008 12:24 PM        
quote:
5.8 gallons to be precise...and I get 200 miles all day long, easy.

Yeah, I get about that. I am SERIOUSLY annoyed by the "LOW FUEL" flshing light. I wish Kawi just simply made it blink on the side and instead, indicate the number of miles since the low fuel indicator has turned on. That would be MUCH more useful and less annoying. Can this"feature" be turned off?

Ignore this member   
limey Hooligan

Parking Attendant
US/British/Canadian. Not easy!
posted August 18, 2008 11:06 PM        
I agree with the LOW FUEL warning, the most annoying thing is the fact that it's the only thing you can read, as it won't let you change the display... 8(

Ignore this member   
port_angeles_ninja

Expert Class
posted August 19, 2008 08:57 AM        
hold down the top button (mode, i think) for 3 seconds when the annoying warning comes on. A red light on the dash will light and your display will go back to normal. This works on the zx-14, i'm sure it's the same display unit on the concourse.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Gas Mileage Sucks NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.50191903114319 seconds processing time