Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: How about a turbo? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
phytrax

Zone Head
posted June 25, 2008 04:41 PM        Edited By: phytrax on 25 Jun 2008 23:49
How about a turbo?

Ok, I'm sure I'm gonna catch hell about this but whatever. This bike would just be the ultimate supersport touring bike with a mild turbo on it. Bump it up just enough to beat a stock busa or ZX-14 in the quarter, maybe 200hp. I'm guessing Muzzy's or any of those guys aren't gonna be working on a procuction turbo kit any time soon. So what would be the other options? How much would a custom turbo kit be and how reliable? 225 hp would probably be my ideal target.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand
>>> MySpace --CLICK-- <<<

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Phytrax's homepage. 
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted June 26, 2008 03:56 AM        
A turbo would kill the gas mileage of the C14....not to mention its hard to smooth the rush that happens when the turbo starts building boost....why on earth would anyone want a C14 gas hog, that chewed up tires, and had a power curve like a CR500???

If I wanted to do that I would keep my ZX12R and turbo it.....

Ignore this member   
phytrax

Zone Head
posted June 26, 2008 05:00 AM        
Because I don't want a full on race bike. I like the comfort and storage of the Concours, just want a little more power. I'm not planning to race 1/4 mile on it every weekend, I just want an impressive sleeper.

I'm not sure how it works on bikes with the different ignition systems, but on cars you can get good mileage with a turbo or supercharger, just depends on how you drive it. Putting extra air into the engine doesn't make it less efficient, or at least not much, unless there's a mapping issue for the turbos.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand
>>> MySpace --CLICK-- <<<

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Phytrax's homepage. 
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted June 27, 2008 12:26 AM        
I would think that you could get plenty of power, with out going the turbo route....there are alot of things that can be done from removeing the kleen air system, to pipe and a pc....cam timing. A turbo is GENERALLY a bike to tinker with....I havent seen a bike with an aftermarket turbo system be totally "tinkerless" there is always something to tweak or adjust....I dont want my touring bike to develop a hiccup while out away from home....

Think about it, if Turbos were so reliable why dont they come from the factory with them?

I know in the mid 80's they did and they did for about 3 years and then they stopped makeing them, as they couldnt make them reliable....I know alot of the guys that ride old GPZ's and they are always messing with them, but when they run right, they run stronggggg.....

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted June 28, 2008 01:08 AM        
It wasn't that they were unreliable, they were using carbs (for the most part. The consumers were getting hurt and killed, by the visiuos force of the afterburner so to speak. My local dealer said they sold 17 of the kawi 750's and 14 came back totalled. The power rush came on quick and did not stop, they were pressure feeding the cv's, in a corner the cv's would not back off because of the inlet pressure, so you were still accelerating in the corner, no throttle.
Efi can fix al of this, but mfr's are cautious of what they want released, do not want more deaths etc...on their resume.

The stock turbo era is gone, only for safety reasons, why do you thing there are sec. flies on the c-14, sorta the same reason, to reduce injuries..

A turbo can give mega pwr, but only if the rider can handle it, and is more streetable than per say a high performance motor, but ultimatley the mfr's wanna play it safe..

So turbos and superchargers are gone from production, and will never be seen again. It's up to you on what you wanna do, mr. turbo will be the first for a kit, if they ever do it. There is not much room on the 14 to plumb all of the nessasary hardware, but I am sure somebody will come up with something..

My 2 cents,
Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
SpazOnaConcours

Parking Attendant
posted December 05, 2011 06:49 AM        
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2996.45

.....2 of us have done it now to the C14. No regrets thus far.

Ignore this member   
punkynlew

Novice Class
posted December 14, 2011 09:58 AM        
C14 turbo

quote:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2996.45

.....2 of us have done it now to the C14. No regrets thus far.

I'm soon to be number 3. I have ordered a turbo kit from JonesPerformanceCycle.com in Chiefland, FL. Chris Jones is going to install the kit with a Garrett GT2860R turbo later this month. As far as I know, it will be the first turnkey pro installation of a turbo kit on a C14. Later, amigos.

Ignore this member   
SpazOnaConcours

Parking Attendant
posted December 19, 2011 07:47 AM        
Start a fund for rear tires now.... yer gunna need it. Post up on how you feel about it when you get it done; I love hearing the stories, heheh.
  Ignore this member   
punkynlew

Novice Class
posted December 19, 2011 11:18 AM        
Turbo C14

quote:
Start a fund for rear tires now.... yer gunna need it. Post up on how you feel about it when you get it done; I love hearing the stories, heheh.

Hey, Spaz: Shinko tires? What is your favorite tire source? What concerns me most is controlling wheelies. I sure don't want to be one who goes up and over. Makes me wish I had the traction control of the newer model C14's. Have you tried any top speed runs yet... hit 200mph? Need a front stabiizer? I know the 186mph speed limiter has to be defeated. I wish the shop that is doing the job was a lot closer to my home. As it is, it's about 325 miles from me. After I get the bike home and ride it a bit, something that needs Chris' attention may show up. I have much to learn about riding, caring for and feeding the beast. Later, amigo. Lew

Ignore this member   
SpazOnaConcours

Parking Attendant
posted December 20, 2011 12:58 AM        Edited By: SpazOnaConcours on 20 Dec 2011 16:00
Pirelli Angles. Love 'Em. The OE rubber was sketchy on stock power levels, and with the turbo it was terrifying. I'm just flat amazed at how well the Angel tires grip. You'd have to try 'em to believe 'em.

With the stock gearing it's a wheelie fest in 1st gear above 5.5K for me... and in the cold weather 2nd gear will pull up nice and smoothly. Now, I live above 4500' elevation, so I would imagine that it's like that all the time at sea level. You learn how to control it and predict it pretty easily, though. I can ride mine 2-up with no drama, and I can still scuff the pegs up. But it will spin the tire exiting corners at over 80mph if you're ham-fisted. If you treat it like a modern liter-bike you'll be just fine.

I've been 9.9's in the 1/4 at over 4500' of AD, and it still has a tenth or two in it if I got some more seat time... but I'm a little too afraid for the clutch basket to strap/lower it. It will crack 200 with the bags off... there is no speed limiter on the pre-2010 bikes (first gen C14). I do have my secondary flies out, though.... if that has anything to do with it. No need for a damper, she's as stable as a barn of horses.... EXCEPT if you do 165mph plus with the bags on. Any speeds over that WITH THE BAGS ON and it starts to pick up a weave that doesn't go away. I've never been man enough to push it past 180ish like that. Take the bags off and it goes away... and it's nearly 4mph faster in the quarter with the bags off. I never take them off unless I'm going to go do something ignorant.

Video poof here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5APyfGd0Kk

and here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvF9ZiumcnI

....if you need any help/info/whatever about it, feel free to drop me a line... or check out the thread in the link I posted earlier.

Ignore this member   
punkynlew

Novice Class
posted December 20, 2011 06:14 AM        
Spaz: Thanks for the info. The vids are great... part of what got me hooked on trying a turbo. A report on another zx14 forum that using nitrous (no turbo) got a zx14 thru the 1/4 mi. in 6.9 at 203mph. I don't think I'll be doing that, unless I decide to use nitrous with the turbo and new pistons, etc. Later, amigo. Lew

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted December 20, 2011 07:51 AM        

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted December 20, 2011 07:53 AM        

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted December 20, 2011 09:50 AM        
quote:
A turbo would kill the gas mileage of the C14....not to mention its hard to smooth the rush that happens when the turbo starts building boost....why on earth would anyone want a C14 gas hog, that chewed up tires, and had a power curve like a CR500???

If I wanted to do that I would keep my ZX12R and turbo it.....

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Why would a turbo bike get any worse fuel mileage than a stock bike? It's all relative to how much you're getting on it, but simply cruising, you'll get the same mileage or better. A turbo simply harnesses otherwise unused exhaust energy.
As for spoolup, I have a turbo zx14 with lowered compression, and the spool was smooth and linear.

Ignore this member   
SpazOnaConcours

Parking Attendant
posted December 20, 2011 02:53 PM        
Well... your mileage does go down a little. It's just about impossible to stay out of the boost ALL the time... and more boost = more fuel in any well tuned application. I'd say an honest way to put it is that once you get used to it all and your riding style returns to normal that you see about a 10% drop in mileage, which isn't bad at all when you consider that's only 3-5mpg for something that accelerates like god shot out of a cannon.....with saddlebags. Still a far cry from a gas hog though.

But I totally agree about the power curve. It's nothing like a CR500, not even remotely. And it's funny to joke about rear tire wear, but it really is only about as bad as the fuel... 10%, maybe 15% at the worst..... still not as bad as my Zx-10R on pilot powers.

Ignore this member   
punkynlew

Novice Class
posted December 29, 2011 06:25 PM        Edited By: punkynlew on 30 Dec 2011 09:27
C14 turbo piston problem

quote:

....if you need any help/info/whatever about it, feel free to drop me a line... or check out the thread in the link I posted earlier.

Spaz: I'd like your advice on how to deal with news of recent turboed C14 piston failure. My C14 hasn't been done yet and I'd like to know what you think I can do to avoid piston failure. Thanks in advance for your help. My email: punkynlew@hotmail.com , phone: 561-735-9653 Lew

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: How about a turbo? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.40635299682617 seconds processing time