Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Stay away from Sylvania ultra bulbs NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
TedG

posted June 05, 2008 08:13 AM        
Stay away from Sylvania ultra bulbs

Last year I bought some Sylvania Ultra H4 Bulbs for the C14. And although the light seems whiter, it was no brighter than the stockers. Now less than 6 months later, with very little riding because of winter, one has already burned out. I just ordered the PIAA Extreme white bulbs (damn those things are pricey) and hopefully will get more light and life.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted June 05, 2008 10:17 AM        
How are your PR2s doing.?..I have a pair sitting in my living room ready to go next week.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted June 05, 2008 11:00 AM        
Awesome, the front has close to 9000 and although down to the wear marks on the sides the center still has a few thousand left. The rear went about 6500, and when I replaced it, the new tire had a much deeper tread than the first one so it should last longer. At 2500 it looks great. The handling never really changed like it did with the BSs if anything now with the front tire worn like it is, it seems a bit twitchy at low speed but just fine at normal and very high speeds (entering corners 80-100+).
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted June 05, 2008 11:47 AM        
Cool, I'm looking forward to putting the new shoes on and wearing them in.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted June 05, 2008 12:35 PM        
You won't believe the difference. Whole new bike.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted June 06, 2008 04:50 PM        
I ordered some PIAA extreme whites Wednesday and they were at my house Thursday. Kneedraggers.com is on the stick. And the BMC filter came as well.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
VictoryDaveAZ

Parking Attendant
posted June 06, 2008 09:13 PM        
quote:
Last year I bought some Sylvania Ultra H4 Bulbs for the C14. And although the light seems whiter, it was no brighter than the stockers. Now less than 6 months later, with very little riding because of winter, one has already burned out. I just ordered the PIAA Extreme white bulbs (damn those things are pricey) and hopefully will get more light and life.

Did you happen to touch the bulb with your fingers? Did you clean the bulbs with IPA or Windex prior to installing them? If not, the short life may have been caused by your finger oils or from someone touching them when they were packaged.
I would not waste the money on the PIAA lights have tried them in the past and no real advantage to them. And be sure to not up the wattage from the stock rating, have seen high watt bulbs burn up wiring not designed to handle the higher wattage.
The bulbs that seem to work the best and help you get noticed by other drivers out there are the 1s with blue, yellow or purple tint to them. They may not put off the best light but, anything that helps others see you and avoid you, the better. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.

'74 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
'08 Infiniti G37S
'07 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

Ignore this member   
r2t2

Parking Attendant
Cranky old phart
posted June 07, 2008 07:10 PM        
quote:
quote:

Did you happen to touch the bulb with your fingers? Did you clean the bulbs with IPA or Windex prior to installing them? If not, the short life may have been caused by your finger oils or from someone touching them when they were packaged.
I would not waste the money on the PIAA lights have tried them in the past and no real advantage to them. And be sure to not up the wattage from the stock rating, have seen high watt bulbs burn up wiring not designed to handle the higher wattage.
The bulbs that seem to work the best and help you get noticed by other drivers out there are the 1s with blue, yellow or purple tint to them. They may not put off the best light but, anything that helps others see you and avoid you, the better. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.

Yeah, one has to be careful handling halogen bulbs... I replaced the stock bulbs with Osram Nightstalker +90's. They produce beau coup lumens, are stock wattage and are DOT/TUV approved...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit r2t2's homepage. 
TedG

posted June 07, 2008 07:38 PM        
Just to set the record straight and give you guys some background. I was a factory trained Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Penton/KTM, BSA, Triumph, BMW, Can-Am motorcycle mechanic for over a decade back in the late 60, 70s and early 80s. I saw the beginning of the H4 bulbs in motorcycling. That being said I am very careful not to touch the bulbs knowing full well what happens when you do. BUT I had not thought to clean the bulbs from the carton, it never occurred to me that maybe someone at the factory touched them. Good advice, thanks.
I got the 60/55 bulbs so my wattage is no issue. and if they aren't any better, I will just have to chalk it up to experience, because I installed them this morning. But I didn't touch them or clean them.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Stay away from Sylvania ultra bulbs NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.611089944839 seconds processing time