Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Don't forget the run switch... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
phytrax

Zone Head
posted May 20, 2008 08:09 PM        
Don't forget the run switch...

Ok, I feel like a moron about all this but I figured I might keep someone out of the situation I was almost in. Last week I was riding home from Houston to Picayune, MS with a buddy of mine. The bike stalls while on the interstate (which happens to me somewhat regularly when I'm accelerating, then let off and grab the clutch at the same time). I let out the clutch to start it after the stall like I usually do. Bike didn't start. So i do it a couple more times, nothing. After stopping I see the dashboard's working so it's not the battery. It's not the KPass cause the key will turn. Eventually my buddy that was riding with me asked if I knew the run switch was off, lol. I guess I hit it with my thumb while riding. I've ridden bikes off and on for over 20 years now and never used the run switch for anything so it just never occurred to me. I have to say I'm glad he was there cause I'm not sure it would have ever dawned on me. Anyway, maybe this will help out some other bonehead out there. On the other hand, maybe I'm just costing someone a Darwin Award.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand
>>> MySpace --CLICK-- <<<

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Phytrax's homepage. 
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted May 21, 2008 09:46 AM        
I would be more worried about why it stalls in the first place, unless you are intermittantly touching the run switch with your thumb...

I usually just put the kickstand down when parking, I'm still in first and it stalls right away in gear, perfect!

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
phytrax

Zone Head
posted May 26, 2008 01:59 AM        
Well I'd love to know why it stalls too. I'm quite sure I'm not hitting the run switch, but I guess I'll double check where my thumb goes just to see. My mechanic told me it may be a lean map on my ZX, but my Concourse is stock so I wouldn't think that was the problem.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand

oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted May 26, 2008 03:36 AM        
I have no problem whatsoever. If you are not hitting the switch, could be a lot of things like the tip over sensor, the kickstand switch, bad wiring or something more. Wish I could help, but if you are not doing it, have them figure it out and fix it, you could get into a bad situation with that problem...

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted March 30, 2009 06:51 AM        
Oh, I figured out the main problem with my stalling issue. It was the idle speed. I have a buddy that does a lot of tinkering and he likes to idle everything really low, so he "fixed" my idle speed, on my ZX also. I'm sure that was the problem. It's been flawless since I turned it off. Maybe I bumped the run switch once or twice but I guess that wasn't the real culprit.
KX450F - kickstand

TedG

posted March 30, 2009 01:34 PM        
I was a motorcycle mechanic for over a decade, many a time a customer would come in huffing and puffing from kicking on their bike, or just plain pissed. or unloading it for service because it just wouldn't start. The first and second thing I would look at was the run switch and the petcock. A good percentage of the time it would be the run switch. So I would distract them by pointing at something on the bike and turn on the switch. Then I would wave my hand over the bike like I was performing magic,, then tell them to try it. 90% of the time it would start first kick or when they hit the button. Then I would just walk away. The best ones were the pissed ones, they would come in and ask WTF I just did, and if I had time I would BS them about special powers, magic, appeasing the motorcycle god, and BS I could think of and append the statement at the very end with the run switch, quietly. As soon as they heard that it was like oh shit, I can't believe I did that.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted March 31, 2009 01:57 AM        
That's pretty funny but I can't believe none of them punched you, lol.
KX450F - kickstand

TedG

posted March 31, 2009 03:09 AM        
quote:
That's pretty funny but I can't believe none of them punched you, lol.

Are you kidding? First they were relieved that it didn't cost them a dime, didn't have to leave their bike, and 99.9% of them thought it was funny. The shops were hangouts and sometime the people who saw me do that crap would join in on the fun. When the recipient came in with the WTF did I do, the other guys would pull the same BS about he motorcycle god, magic powers, and the like. Gotta have a laugh.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
2000redrocket

Pro
posted March 31, 2009 11:41 AM        
so i guess i will ask where do you guys have your bikes idleing?? i am about 1000 on connie
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Don\'t forget the run switch... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.28418302536011 seconds processing time