Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Damn - this things gets faster every time I ride it! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
FASTESTbusaAROUND

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted April 16, 2008 05:05 PM        Edited By: FASTESTbusaAROUND on 16 Apr 2008 17:06
Damn - this things gets faster every time I ride it!

This bike is insane...started riding her again since we have the weather for it now. It just gets faster and faster with each passing mile.

Ted, fly's out, this machine power wheelies far easier than my 10R ever did, and at much lower speeds too. Just needs an Ohlins setup front and rear, and maybe a T/C...

Only issue I have is, this bad vibe/buzzing that starts at 4K and is there all the way up. I know it won't go away; it's the same shit that I had on the FJR. I'm going to try a TB Sync. It does it in neutral, so I know it's not the counter balancer for the gearbox. I guess that's just the nature of this bike. I don't mind the heat; just hate that annoying buzzing.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
TedG

posted April 16, 2008 07:59 PM        Edited By: TedG on 16 Apr 2008 20:03
Steve, I finally had it power wheelie when I was near Auburn Cal. about 1000 feet. I was impressed. I will do the flys.
You need to do a few things, do an adjust on the balancers, but leave them a bit loose. They are way too loose from the factory. Then re torque all the motor mounts, also if the exhaust can't float (check the rear mount at the can, it must be rubber mounted) it will vibrate. Then you need to do a sync. The good part is it should be smoother with the flys out because the secondary flys can't be adjusted. It does get smoother with a sync, especially at higher RPMs. Mine only has a tingle at 4200 and only in the L/H bar. There are various vibes depending on fuel load, load, rpm, etc. But all in all smooth.
I love the power, but I really do wish it has more on top. Your also have to remember I live at 4500 feet and usually ride at much higher alts. So power wheelies are a bit hard. My 10 will head for the moon at anything up to 8000 feet. We will see what the flys out does, but I am willing to bet it still won't power wheelie at this alt.
But you are right it is insanely fast, I ran up against a Honda 1000rr last week and although he got a jump on me because of his much ligher weight and he took off first, when we got to the meat of the power, I was able to reel him back in.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
FASTESTbusaAROUND

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted April 17, 2008 05:58 PM        
Ted, seriously -- there's a night and day difference-- fly's out...you weigh much less than me at 220 and I'll bet that not only will it power wheelie at 3500 RPM @4500 ft, but if you're not careful, it'll loop. BTW, the power wheelie I'm referring, to is a throttle chop bounce at 3500, but I've had her lift hard just from straight power at 5K.

I can't get my 14 up with the stretch easily anymore, unless I clutch it up, which I hate doing, but the C is no problem at all. Somewhere on this board, I remember seeing a picture of Fish on his rear wheel on the C...

On another note, as fast as the C is, I took the ZX out today and forgot all about the "power " on the C. I''m running fly's out, 16/43's, piped at +4 on timing and holy fuck is that thing a monster. I love the 100 MPH pulls in 6th...like it's still in 1st...LOL

My C is going in for a new switch so I'll get the dealer to sync, re-torque and adjust the balancers while it's there...I'll let you know what turns out. The C and the ZX do not compare for engine smoothness...ZX wins hands down!

There's more engine brake for some reason at 3500 RPM when you close the throttle and there seems to be a natural balance at that RPM between engine brake and bottom end TQ, so when you chop the throttle at 3500, she comes up, but at higher engine speeds, it gets much harder to do using the same technique...

TedG

posted April 18, 2008 09:43 PM        
I would think that your ZX14 would be impossible to keep on the ground. The 10 just likes to come off the ground and the way the front wheel dances around at 100+ is just heaven. It's rawness is pure gear head joy. I had to learn how to ride the thing again and flicking it around is just effortless. Droning just sucks on it.
But after riding the 10 hard for about 250 miles sure makes you appreciate the comfort and smoothness of the C. But like I said before I wish it had more power on top. That is why I love downhill twisties, I can muster more speed. Going uphill is for pussies.
I will do the flys, but I am trying to pay attention to how I ride the 14, and seeing where I keep the RPMs. I am worried about a decent map that will work well at the range of alts I ride at. I actually go from 4500 to 8000 to sea level in a matter of hours. I have just been racking up the miles.I am at like 17000 already.
As for throttle wheelies at 4500 hmmmmm I am skeptical. And to be honest, the only reason I am going to pull the flys is because of the wheelies. I would love to ride one with the flys out at this altitude.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted April 19, 2008 08:27 PM        Edited By: fastestbusaaround on 19 Apr 2008 20:28
Ted, my 06 used to lift like crazy...but since I stretched the 08, she doesn't come up nearly as easily, unless you clutch it up...not what I want, but that's fine. When I want to wheelie, I just take the Connie out...

I still stand behind my statement about wheeleing the C with fly's out at 3500....like a knife through warm butter...I can get the bike up as high as I want at 3600 in 1st at that speed...quick bounce and she's up high!

wormgear

Expert Class
posted April 19, 2008 09:59 PM        
I pulled a nice tall one today just cranking the throttle in first (not unusual). But I hit the shift to 2nd and rebound just right and smooth as silk she came up just as high again. What a trip!

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted April 20, 2008 05:28 AM        
She might look like a labrador....but she's got the teeth of a doby. The bike definately has two personalities. Riding it hard is like riding a totally different bike....gas mileage is interesting as well....all those horseys gotta eat.

Ignore this member   
MAJ Todd

Parking Attendant
posted May 01, 2008 05:54 AM        
Ok, I'll ask, what is a fly?
Racing should not be done in a circle or a straight line.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 01, 2008 10:44 AM        
In the throttle bodies there is a set of secondary butterflys the govern throttle opening at low rpms.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted May 01, 2008 03:47 PM        
I think the whole reason they get faster over time is 2 fold. 1, break in, and the other is that kawi made an ingenious program for the ecu. Since they wanted the 14 to be tamed to accomidate older riders they have the secondary flies to simulate a cv carb setup.

What Kawi must have done was to incorporate a program that slowly changes the way it responds, so everyone could be accustomed to it. As you rack the miles up the fuel must richen, the flies come on earlier, and the timing becomes more agressive. It all makes sense now!

Slowly but surely the program lets you reach full perfomance over many miles, but slowly, so the change will not be instantaneous, but gradual. What a brainstorm by them! I wander if the zx-14 works the same way, or does it get slower to keep you from suicide?

Reguards,
Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 01, 2008 04:07 PM        
Well even before ECUs Kawasakis have been notoriously tight. I wouldn't doubt that they may do something like retard the timing and richen it up for the first 1000 or so. But they really don't come to life till 5000.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted May 01, 2008 04:55 PM        
In reality, the 14 puts out more power everywhere than my zx-11 did (1997), I remember passing a car on a cool moring in 3rd just to have the tire break loose, and I was just still in break in.... Yes the 14 weighs in at around 100 or so less pounds more (especiallly in the front end), but I will never forget that I think I might crap my pants feeling that day.

On paper the 14's numbers are formidible, not zx-14 or 'busa stuff let alone the 10's, but considering what it really is designed for I think they did a great job.

The previous post was just for entertainment, but there might be something to that story....

Reguards,
Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted May 01, 2008 05:50 PM        
Was there a noticeable change, right at 5k miles? Or was it progressive? Just trying to figure it out is all...

"Well even before ECUs Kawasakis have been notoriously tight. I wouldn't doubt that they may do something like retard the timing and richen it up for the first 1000 or so. But they really don't come to life till 5000."

Ro b

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 01, 2008 08:10 PM        
It is a gradual change, but you flash back to new and you realize how effortlessly it goes fast.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
MAJ Todd

Parking Attendant
posted May 02, 2008 12:14 AM        
quote:
In the throttle bodies there is a set of secondary butterflys the govern throttle opening at low rpms.

and Steve removed his second set. What does this mod do?
Racing should not be done in a circle or a straight line.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 02, 2008 08:32 AM        
quote:
quote:

and Steve removed his second set. What does this mod do?

There are multiple threads on the subject, and FBA is the king of fly removal. So we will let him explain it to you. Look around about the flies.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
FASTESTbusaAROUND

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 02, 2008 05:42 PM        
LOL -- yes, the secondary throttle plates are controlled only by the ECU and stay closed in most of the gears until about 6K or so, severely limiting the amount of power to the rear wheel at lower RPM's, by design. Once removed, you'll see a rear wheel gain of something around 18-20+ LB FT of RWTQ in the 3-4K RPM range,which makes the bike literally blast off in the lower gears, enough to let you wheelie the bike to the sky in1st at 3500 RPM...

Try that with your stock configured C14 and see if you can lift at 3500, or even 5k in 1st...and good luck

Now, imagine all that low end power at your fingertips.

There are many threads here which explain how to perform this mod, but you also need a POWER COMMANDER and a map to ensure that your AFR's are not too lean. It is a very simple mod. No exhaust could give you anything like this on its own...

Ask around here to those who've done this mod and see what they all say -- then go look at the Dyno results.

beelzebub

Parking Attendant
posted August 29, 2009 06:21 AM        
i don't understand all this talk about not being able to wheelie a c 14. Take my stock connie up to 6500 in 1st, let it drop to 5500, crack it and you will have a bruise where the tank slaps your gut.....looking skyward. Maybe you don't actually want to wheelie.......but when you do.....piece of cake!
  Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 30, 2009 06:45 AM        
Fly's out - you can do that in 1st at 3500...

wibornz

Parking Attendant
posted September 01, 2009 07:59 AM        Edited By: wibornz on 1 Sep 2009 15:01
I have the flys pulled, a pcIII with a performance map, and a two brothers slip on. It is hard to keep the front end on the ground. It will throtle wheelie in first gear from 3500 up or in 2nd gear, you have to be around 6000 rpm.

And what is the talk about chopping the throtle? I can just wack it on and up she comes.

Here is a wheelie viewed from a back camera

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted September 02, 2009 10:35 AM        
You probably weigh much less than I do @225 and 6'2"

wibornz

Parking Attendant
posted September 02, 2009 10:48 AM        
Or much more at 6'4" 360.......

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Damn - this things gets faster every time I ride it! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.755222082138 seconds processing time