Yamaha R1 / YZF-R1
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: 2009 V-Max released! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ninja14

Pro
posted June 04, 2008 03:21 PM        
I was not 100% happy with it's final specs, but it is ok......it's the PRICE that kills me - I'll give it a while.

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 04, 2008 03:42 PM        
quote:
I was not 100% happy with it's final specs, but it is ok......it's the PRICE that kills me - I'll give it a while.

maybe its destin to the fate of the rune

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted June 04, 2008 04:37 PM        
Where did you folks get the price info?

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted June 04, 2008 05:41 PM        
With 100,000 bikes sold since 1985 there is more than enough following to keep it alive....at about any price.

Just wait till the mods are done........

Ignore this member   
zx14mike

Zone Head
posted June 04, 2008 09:25 PM        
the price is way high for me..............but looking at it objectively there are plenty of Harley riders that are willing to pay 15.000-20,000 then pay a couple more thousand to make it faster........i think the VMAX is a brand with a loyal cult following much like Harley and many of those people wont think twice about paying that price for a perfoemance cruiser/muscle bike.

That said i also think there will be plenty in the show rooms given away for deep discounts a year or two down the road........same goes for used ones...........i may snap up a used one for the right price in a couple of years, i really like the look of this bike.

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2008 07:59 AM        
I agree zx14mike.

When you buy a harley your buying a brand, an American brand with a long history, some good, some bad. You also buy into a huge line of factory accessories as well as a host of aftermarket parts. Take the new Harley Rocker there's already aftermarket parts for that thing. If Yamaha had this in place at the roll-out It would sway many that way if the bike had a reasonable price point.

Most riders past 30 have had or fantasized about the V-Max. It has a huge number of clubs just based on the bike itself all over the world. But I'm not sure the average V-Max guy would want to spend 18K for the next generation. Time will tell.

I'm with you, I' wait to see if the resale market get a hold of them once the fanfare passes.
Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
zx12adam

posted June 05, 2008 08:43 AM        
With the economy going the way it is, demand for luxuries(ex: motorcycles) is dropping. Even Harley is reporting a drop in sales. I don't think this would have much an impact on a $10,000 bike, but at almost twice that...

Best Literbike: Performance Bikes, Superbike, BIKE, MCN, Road Racing World, and Motorcycle USA

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2008 12:19 PM        
10k is reasonable.

I don't understand Yamaha's reasoning on the price. Just as you said earlier, if the performance was jaw dropping maybe 12K. And I can't believe they didn't give it a gas tank larger than 4 gallons...how do you not correct that boulevard cruiser limiting issue?

I think the bike is just beautiful. Everything the next generation should be...ram air, fuel injection, digital speedo, fully adjustable mono rear shock. But 18K? It's a Yamaha!

Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
zx14mike

Zone Head
posted June 05, 2008 04:43 PM        
quote:
10k is reasonable.

I don't understand Yamaha's reasoning on the price. Just as you said earlier, if the performance was jaw dropping maybe 12K. And I can't believe they didn't give it a gas tank larger than 4 gallons...how do you not correct that boulevard cruiser limiting issue?

I think the bike is just beautiful. Everything the next generation should be...ram air, fuel injection, digital speedo, fully adjustable mono rear shock. But 18K? It's a Yamaha!

"

I think they are expecting bike sales to plummett during this recession and they figure they wont have much of a problem getting top dollar by creating a brand that appeals to an affluent enough to shell out that kind of money for a limited amount of these bikes..............i think they will sell a good amount of these but after a year or two i think there will be deep discounts on both the new leftovers and the used ones on the market.

Ignore this member   
zx14mike

Zone Head
posted June 05, 2008 04:46 PM        
you gotta remember recessions and high gas and food prices affect the working class making less than $100,000 and limit their purchases far more than those making 200k, 300k or 500k.
  Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted June 05, 2008 06:25 PM        
4 gallons should send it 120 miles........that's a cruise...........longer is a TOUR and ya need a diff bike

Ignore this member   
davej

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2008 07:02 PM        
You gotta admit it looks wicked as hell, if looks could go fast it should do a 7sec @ 190mph.

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2008 07:09 PM        
It is drop dead gorgeous!

And if I had 18K I would order one tomorrow.

I guess 120 miles isn't bad. After all it is a boulevard bruiser, not cruiser.
Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2008 07:13 PM        
I guess 120 miles isn't so bad. After all it is a boulevard bruiser, not cruiser.

And if i had 18K I would order one tomorrow. It is drop dead gorgeous!

Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2008 07:16 PM        
I guess 120 miles isn't so bad. After all it is a boulevard bruiser, not cruiser.

And if i had 18K I would order one tomorrow. It is drop dead gorgeous!

Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 06, 2008 03:56 AM        
Wow, I didn't know those all came through. I feel like an idiot. Sorry for so many entries guys.
Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
davej

Expert Class
posted June 06, 2008 10:55 AM        
You'll raise your IQ 40 pts when you get your 14.

Ignore this member   
Kountry Kawboy

Expert Class
posted June 06, 2008 12:17 PM        
10-4. I'm $3,100.00 dollars away from being debt free except for the house and then I can think of 1400 ways to celebrate!

Not soon enough!
Salivating for a ZX-14

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted June 08, 2008 10:18 AM        
Here it is, the new v-max, will it beat the new zx-14 or 'busa in the 1/4, don't think so. Will it even handle like a c-14, again don't think so. I am not nessasarily a yam basher, It is the only brand I never owned one of (jap)

It looks nice, but will not be able to go real fast due to aerodynamics and no windhield??? The v-boost thing of the past was a joke, all they did was limit the airflow below 7k, then opened it up. Can anyne say kawi secondary flies??

So now your looking at 18k for a bike??? I really think they are trying to do a hardley trik, accessories! Heck I have a customer at work that lost his main job only to get hired as a "chrome consultant" for a local hd dealer... Accesories mean big $$$$ Yamaha's goal was to make this thing real,no matter what the cost, guess where no matter what the cost came passed down to, you.

So, with no mpg estimates, given the price of gas these days, maybe will make 30+, hopefully way more. I am sure it will find a niche with fellow v-max owners, but claiming it will be the new 1/4 mile king, nahhhhh.. Yamaha, you should have done the latest research before claiming that one!!

I can't even wait to be lined next to one at a stoplight, and I am good with timing, and I will turn the c-14 loose, whether or not the v-max can catch me is a mystery, but I am sure it cannot go as fassstttt.

So I give yamaha kudos for making the biggest engine in it's class, once again! Time will tell how it holds up against the "big guns" but don't get your hopes up too quickly..

My 2cents

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted June 08, 2008 10:19 AM        
forgot, officially it will be 1700cc, not 1800.

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted June 08, 2008 10:29 AM        Edited By: shane661 on 8 Jun 2008 11:31
quote:
The v-boost thing of the past was a joke, all they did was limit the airflow below 7k, then opened it up. Can anyne say kawi secondary flies??

Actually, the V-boost allowed each cylinder to breath through two carbs at higher rpm. It was a fairly novel system at the time. Remember, this system was designed about 25 years ago!

Completely different from the secondary throttle plates on Kawasaki machines.

Shane

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted June 08, 2008 02:27 PM        
The only advantage I can think of, by each cylinder sharing 2 carbs at higher rpm's is that the suction on them was more constant. I still give yam credit for making a good looking bike, and not screwing it up like suz. did with the b-king. The b-king concept bike was the bike that I said, "if they build it I will buy one", they built it, but really messed up from the georgious concept bike, big time screw up.

Kawi reinvented shaft drive forever with the tetralever on the c-14, I hope yam. uses the same design as it is the cure for chains, no jacking whatsoever, and real low mainanance, if they didn't it going to be a wild ride for sure....

I think the price tag is going to scare away a lot of buyers along with the initial waiting list and if it doesn't deliver as yam said it would, there is a double whammy.

Rob

2003 kx 500 SOLD

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted June 08, 2008 03:18 PM        
By using one carb per cylinder at low rpm the engine will have good throttle reponse due higher intake air velocity. When the 2nd carb begins to feed the cylinder you will get the benefit of higher intake volume than a single relatively small carb can provide.

Of course, injection, computer controls, and modern wizardy have made the system obsolete, but the principles are sound.

Shane

Ignore this member   
zx14mike

Zone Head
posted June 08, 2008 09:44 PM        
Shane, how do you like your 14...........have you taken it to the strip yet?

also did you used to own a VMAX?

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted June 09, 2008 02:52 PM        
quote:
Shane, how do you like your 14...........have you taken it to the strip yet?

also did you used to own a VMAX?

I really love the 14! I have put 650 street miles on it so far. I didn't take it to the strip yet; I wanted to wait until it was prepped a little. I will be posting some info on mods soon, I hope.

I have a vmax basket case in the garage. I actually sold the motor once I figured it was cheaper to buy a good one than rebuild a rust-bucket. I have always liked the V-maxes; my father had two new 85's. The hype back then was unreal, especially for an impressionable teen like myself....

Shane

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 12 pages long: 1  -  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  -  12   Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: 2009 V-Max released! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25101900100708 seconds processing time