Yamaha R1 / YZF-R1
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: 2009 V-Max released! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 29, 2008 07:34 PM        
quote:
Well, I give Yamaha props for building it. I am sure many will become uncorked.

Shaft drive and flexiflyer chasis not for me though.
Even at 6" over, my zx14 would run circles around a v max.
The jack shaft effect of the shaft drive really messes up handling, they push when off the gas, and turn hard when on it.... so guess what happens when your apex speed is too fast...

Your in trouble either way.

in other words its like owning a piece of useless junk ...a poser cyclemobile

Ignore this member   
zx14mike

Zone Head
posted May 29, 2008 07:48 PM        
quote:
Well, I give Yamaha props for building it. I am sure many will become uncorked.

Shaft drive and flexiflyer chasis not for me though.
Even at 6" over, my zx14 would run circles around a v max.
The jack shaft effect of the shaft drive really messes up handling, they push when off the gas, and turn hard when on it.... so guess what happens when your apex speed is too fast...

Your in trouble either way.
"

+1, i'm no fan of shaft drive, i drove lots of Vmax's Eliminators and Madura's in the 90's and the handling sucks and its weird how the whole chassis flexes when you launch hard and if you chop the throttle in a corner you could be in big trouble...........they should have made it chain drive or at least offered it as an option............but i still find it interesting.

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 29, 2008 07:55 PM        
I remember back in the day when shaft drive was suppose to change the motorcycle world and the change would require less time with maintenance and lubing the old chain. But my first shaft ride was less than great. Downshifting felt like there was a 300lb hoe riding on the back, crank on the throttle and your head would hit the trees. Wonder how this HP will feel ! The dampner adjustment on the rear will have to be hard to harder to solid, to combat this problem. 3 grand for a chain conversion is crazy and few will follow the V-max just for that reason alone. The V-max will eat the V-rod. But they will still be wearing a $40 dollar helmet. No real sale to anyone else. POSER BIKE !

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jeff martin's homepage. 
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted May 29, 2008 07:57 PM        
quote:
quote:
So 210 at the crank ...Knock that down to 170 at the wheel ... Take another 5 hp or so off for the drive shaft ... Soooo 165 HP at the wheel and it will weigh in at over 600 pounds !!!

NO damn way is it going to run with a stock zx14 ... I can see it just busting into the 9s with a light weigh pro jocky ....I can't wait till some bone head buys one and pulls up next to me and tells me he owns the fastest 1/4 mile bike in the world .. I'll be gone so fast he will need a telescope to see my tag ....
"

Smokin you know a hell of a lot more about dragracing than i do, and i respect your knowledge, and i'm in no way saying that bike stock can beat most of the 14's you see at the strip..........but i think we need to consider that the VMAX will probably have a 62-64 inch wheelbase, a ton of torque ,a big fat sticky rear tire and since it has no fairing as is designed most likely as a stop light to stoplight and 1/4 mile ripper rather than a high speed missile it will have real low 1/4 mile gearing stock........a piped, flys out geared PC3, extended 14 with a full exhaust would likely dust a stock VMAX, but i think a long heavy beast like that will be able to launch pretty damn hard and could be competitive with a totally stock 14.

Any opinions?
I see your point ... My 85 Vmax was fast in it's day , i ran a 10.92 on my mad max and was very happy ...Point was as big as a hit the Vmax was in 85 the after market didn't come ... Sure pipes and kit kits and after a very long time came the shaft to chain change over but it was very costly ... I sent my rear wheel to kosman to have it made wider and got it back twos years after i sold the bike !!!!!! I just don't see brock , Muzzy or schnitzs jumping all over this bike like they have done with the Busa or zx14 ... This thing is going to be 600+++ pounds of rolling rock and even with 210 hp it not going to set any records .... If by some chance it runs let say 9.40s with a pro light weight jocky you are pretty much done unless you spend a ton of money on it .... With all that said i think it will sell like hot cakes like it allways has ...But as far as it showing up at the drag strip and taking the spot light from the busa or zx14 it's just not going to happen ..Sure a few guys will show up to the track and run them and find out it takes a pro to go as fast as Yamaha said it would but after that they will not be back .. I would like to have one but it would just be for fun on the street ( daily driver ) ....I have seen one bking at the strip and on a 50 shot it ran 9.50s with a good good rider ... The Vmax will will follow a long the same type of user mostly street and track now and then ..

I also saw a Rocket 3 at the track the other night and the guy told me it was a Busa and zx14 killer with 165 foot pounds of torq ....After his 7.80 in the 1/8 mile i deemed not such a Busa zx14 killer ... So did he and he has not been back to the track ...

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted May 29, 2008 10:31 PM        
quote:

It's a cruiser - not a superbike.........

Anyone talking about corner speeds and turn-in is simply off topic as far as this bike is concerned.

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted May 30, 2008 03:54 AM        
quote:
quote:

Anyone talking about corner speeds and turn-in is simply off topic as far as this bike is concerned.

I think its probably going to be a fast fun bike for its intended purpose. I've owned a few shafties and I liked the low maintainence. Set-up properly you'd be suprised how well a shaftie can handle big power, and I'm sure yamaha's taken the time to set it up right I'm not sure I see it becoming the new drag king but I think its gonna be plenty fast. Probably something you'd better be ready for if it rolls up next to you at a stoplight It doesn't quite fit my style of riding but I bet it'll still be a hoot to ride. I'd take it over the Bee-King anyday

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 30, 2008 05:24 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 30 May 2008 06:25
quote:
quote:

just looking at it in the pic....its not really either .... kinda like a tricycle not good for anything

but the only thing more hard headed than a busa owner is a vmax owner ...

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 30, 2008 05:27 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Set-up properly you'd be suprised how well a shaftie can handle big power, and I'm sure yamaha's taken the time to set it up right

like yamaha set-up transmissions and shifting forks on their models

Ignore this member   
salsa1

Needs a life
posted May 30, 2008 05:42 AM        Edited By: salsa1 on 30 May 2008 06:44
I think one point worth mentioning is the "upright seating position " the V-Max has which lets you feel the acceleration more you might say...the new V-MAX will probably follow suit...making it lots of fun for daily street riding...

Owning a bike is as much about having fun as it is about being quicker than the competition.....

Myself....I favor the quicker and faster bike to "buy" for my personal tastes ...like the ZX-14

Have fun!!

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted May 30, 2008 05:51 AM        
I suspect it might rule the cruiser class, regarding both performance and sales
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted May 30, 2008 06:52 AM        
I think anyone focusing on hard performance numbers is missing the point of this bike.

It's a power cruiser. And 210 hp (or less) is plenty for that purpose. Compared to the other cruisers out there, it will be a monster. And it looks like a worthy successor.

I'm very interested to see if it really is 1.8L. If so, that 9500 rpm redline is pretty impressive. I wonder just how oversquare the engine is?

Shane

Ignore this member   
FASTESTbusaAROUND

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 30, 2008 07:50 AM        
210 HP...but must have wads of RWTQ...well over 100 I'd bet...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
ninja14

Pro
posted May 30, 2008 07:57 AM        
quote:

but the only thing more hard headed than a busa owner is a vmax owner ...

I can think of at least 1 person for damn sure...........

Ignore this member   
DB

Pro
posted May 30, 2008 12:36 PM        
[quote

+1, i'm no fan of shaft drive, i drove lots of Vmax's Eliminators and Madura's in the 90's and the handling sucks and its weird how the whole chassis flexes when you launch hard and if you chop the throttle in a corner you could be in big trouble...........they should have made it chain drive or at least offered it as an option............but i still find it interesting.

I think my Concours14 has a shaft but I'm not sure. It doesn't have any flex when accelerating or launching so it must not be a shaft drive. I'll see if I can find the chain on it.

Nope, can't find a chain and even the manual says it's a shaft. But it can't be because I don't get any flex or twist.

Can someone help me? Is my bike a shaft or chain or??????

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 30, 2008 01:36 PM        
Kawasaki first to build a tetra drive shaft, Claiming to be as good as a chain with no drive shaft gear climbing effect. Maybe the V-max will follow suit.

davej

Expert Class
posted May 30, 2008 02:32 PM        Edited By: davej on 30 May 2008 17:57
They will rightfully brag about the most hp on a production bike. When the fat lady sings, speculation ends. I've always liked the V-Max, its a great looker maybe it'll be a high class hooker too.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 30, 2008 03:06 PM        
Yamaha makes nice stuff.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
DB

Pro
posted May 30, 2008 03:53 PM        
I still want a ZRX14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ignore this member   
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted May 30, 2008 04:28 PM        Edited By: smokinzx14 on 30 May 2008 17:29
quote:
Yamaha makes nice stuff.
True Fish they do make nice bikes ... I have had a few yamahammers ....Only problems i ever had were weak trans....My Vmax spit out 2 gear and my RD350 spit out 3 gear ... The dealer didn't cover either one of them but they do know how i ride ..... My AT125 welded the piston ... The Dealer forgot to put the oil injecton cable on !!!!

Ignore this member   
tshultz

Zone Head
posted May 30, 2008 07:02 PM        
quote:
quote:
Yamaha makes nice stuff.
True Fish they do make nice bikes ... I have had a few yamahammers ....Only problems i ever had were weak trans....My Vmax spit out 2 gear and my RD350 spit out 3 gear ... The dealer didn't cover either one of them but they do know how i ride ..... My AT125 welded the piston ... The Dealer forgot to put the oil injecton cable on !!!!

funny my 85-v-max spit out 3rd gear and I bent the shifting forks. Any way the 85 had the weak trans the mechanic I took the motor to said it was apart before. So I just bought a used motor cheaper than fixing mine It was a lot of fun getting the new motor in the frame It took me and my brother 3 hours and 10 Carling black label but we got it done.

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 30, 2008 08:08 PM        
RD350 was my chicane machine. New wrist pin and piston every 5 grand and never broke anything but my account. Yamaha is good shit !

fxstein

Parking Attendant
Ready for the new VMax
posted May 30, 2008 08:22 PM        
It's going to be a wild ride!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fxstein's homepage. 
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted May 31, 2008 10:57 AM        
The only thing it has to beat is the old max. No one really thinks it will beat a 14 or a busa...nobody who's informed anyway. In the cruiser arena the old max is still king, the vrod can't beat it, the m109 cant beat it. If it beats the old max ...it wins.

Ignore this member   
fxstein

Parking Attendant
Ready for the new VMax
posted May 31, 2008 11:03 AM        
quote:
The only thing it has to beat is the old max. No one really thinks it will beat a 14 or a busa...nobody who's informed anyway. In the cruiser arena the old max is still king, the vrod can't beat it, the m109 cant beat it. If it beats the old max ...it wins.

I think you might be in for a surprise in a few days, at least stock in the 1/4 mile. Top speed it won't touch the Busa or 14.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fxstein's homepage. 
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted May 31, 2008 11:24 AM        
quote:
quote:

I think you might be in for a surprise in a few days, at least stock in the 1/4 mile. Top speed it won't touch the Busa or 14.
fxstein call me when it runs 8.70s in the 1/4 mile untill then i'm not losing any sleep over it ..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 12 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  -  12   Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: 2009 V-Max released! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.735126972198 seconds processing time