Yamaha R1 / YZF-R1
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: 1000RR.net + Kawiforums + Gixxer.com + R1-Forum now owned by a marketing company... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 19, 2008 01:15 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 21 Feb 2008 07:38
1000RR.net + Kawiforums + Gixxer.com + R1-Forum now owned by a marketing company...

gixxer.com, kawiforums, r1-forum ... this list continues to grow...

Do you feel comfortable posting at a forum owned and operated by a marketing company??

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
stevewfl

posted January 19, 2008 02:35 PM        
for the right price, this site would sell too!?
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 19, 2008 07:07 PM        
quote:
for the right price, this site would sell too!?

I don't think anyone has enough money to buy my hobby....

Is your hobby for sale?

stevewfl

posted January 19, 2008 08:14 PM        
oh well I was hoping the answer would simply be "no"
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 23, 2008 08:20 PM        
I find all of this very fascinating and I'm surprised more members aren't up in arms about this!

ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted January 24, 2008 06:24 AM        Edited By: ricksgsxr on 24 Jan 2008 05:26
Only when I have too pay too get on a site too view or post a topic I would.

I have no hard feelings towards a site selling and its not like they are really entirely gone well at least for 12-18 months after the sale anyway.

Selling ad space? hmm..wonder where the bean counters at the marketing company got the idea too start snapping up message boards?

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted January 24, 2008 09:20 AM        
Firefox banner blocker is da bomb!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted January 24, 2008 11:04 AM        
Since the majority of the direction for topics or threads is fueled by participation of readership (good/bad/indifferent). Whatz to be up in arms about with the new ownership from a consumer standpoint?

Now from an advertising standpoint though, they really have some unusual ideas on what the price-points should be. In that regard, they may ultimately fail.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 24, 2008 11:20 AM        
quote:
Since the majority of the direction for topics or threads is fueled by participation of readership (good/bad/indifferent). Whatz to be up in arms about with the new ownership from a consumer standpoint?

Now from an advertising standpoint though, they really have some unusual ideas on what the price-points should be. In that regard, they may ultimately fail.

re: 1st point... I would suppose that the concern would arise from a media monopoly being controlled and owned by marketers... Their primary goal is not to deliver news, or be fair and balanced.. their primary goal is to sell advertising space... It's really the exact opposite of why any online community (spare a few oddball examples) were created. It's the yin to the yang of the concept that the Internet is available to spread information about a given subject (good or bad) in an uncensored environment, and to promote free speech.

If these websites were TV stations or radio stations, or major newspapers, would the FCC or other equivalent allow them to be controlled by one firm? To have the news be monopolized?

Again, I find this fascinating!

re: 2nd point ... I'm not aware of their rates etc, but I do know that it costs a lot to run a website. I can't imagine how much it would cost to rund dozens and have an office with staff!

k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted January 24, 2008 01:39 PM        
Valid points. Perhaps the most interesting aspects will be that if they are not successful in selling advertising, will it indeed affect the spread of info and/or uncensored environment? I haven't seen anything yet that exhibts that. I would really be surprised if something like that occurred. Currently many of the telemarketers are simply selling ad space and frequency, with little knowledge of the actual sites and content. As with much of the print media, defined lines of seperation for sales reps and editors is normally a good thing to a point. Although in some cases it can seem to get a little blurred into "advertorial" bias....
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted January 24, 2008 04:11 PM        
If I had to pay for any forum....I wouldn't be on any of them. My life would just go back to what it was before internet chatting. Hell might be better for me..lol

On topic though, I do think it's a bad idea and I don't like any of the buy outs.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 24, 2008 04:15 PM        
interesting that it appears as though they've loaded up their forums with spam & ads and as a member you can pay to remove them...

stevewfl

posted January 27, 2008 06:50 PM        
The most popular HONDA forum is pure trash now, and the same outfit owns the R1 and R6 forums, and so many other major forums.

Here is an example of the crap they put between threads:

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
philmy3rdleg

Expert Class
posted January 28, 2008 03:23 PM        
Kawiforums sucks now too.
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 28, 2008 03:36 PM        
R1 section here now on... R6 section activated... just creating grafix...

no spam, no marketing company here... just free speech

billeason

Zone Head
posted February 10, 2008 11:02 AM        
You are on to something here fish'' I have watched the kawi forums go straight to crap. IT is a direct result from the points you have presented here. How long do you think it will be before they will be sending mailers and flooding emails with promotional ad's I have already seen some bias on the honda site. Its a very bad idea period, not just my opinion. bill...

Ignore this member   
OddDuc

Novice Class
posted February 12, 2008 01:10 PM        
Ducati.ms and Ducati Monster.org were bought by VS also. They haven't gotten around to changing monster but have to ms. Definitely a commercial feel to it now. Nothing like the playground bully "Just give me your lunch money and I'll stop hitting you" attitude of the owners. They try to sugar coat it but all one needs to do is stand back and look at things to see the pure money driven interests. Sites bought by them go from passionate cycle enthusiast owned to soulless money craving weasel owned.

Only way to have a chance of influencing the trend is to actively work to hurt their bottom line. Either make any advertiser/sponsor the last choice for purchase or never purchase from. You'll have to hurt them first. Make them sting enough and they will pull away from VS. Put VS in the red long enough and by-by. Granted we'll probably lose all those sites permanently, but i think many would say we've already lost them anyway.

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted February 18, 2008 06:38 AM        
VerticalScope seems to be sucking up enthusiast born forums of automotive/powersports, technologies and general sports topics to create some sort of self serving, monolithic, advertising opportunity.

These to links seem to kinda define their "goals".

http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus/acquisitions.html

http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus/ouredge.html

After just a brief visit to some of their latest acquisitions, it seems that they all look strikingly similar. One can only assume that there will be slow "sterilization" of editorial content to make it more appealing to potential advertisers.

If I were one of the former owner, administrator or even moderator of one of these forums, I'd puke everytime I'd open a forum. I'm pretty sure VS would lock me out within 48 hours.

Ignore this member   
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted February 18, 2008 10:20 AM        Edited By: ricksgsxr on 18 Feb 2008 09:27
I saw one deal for a different board and they required the owner too admin the site for 1 year with some exceptions and they paid a small salary to do so.

Personally, I'm like most and do not care for the ad's in between the posts but as others posted you can get around them .

To me, this is not any worse than the many flame reply and counter replies and smack talk etc that often ruin message boards topics. They should be deleted IMHO so the posts staay on topic

Tons of stuff I have spent thousands of dollars on not everyone does or shares and I do not post. Because invariably someone (s) will be have some dumb reply , sarcasim etc and I simply made teh decesion it is not worth getting into a pissing match.

So on those posts I open and see the smack crap I pass over and scroll through until I find something interesting or move on same thing with them ad's.

Rick

Ignore this member   
OddDuc

Novice Class
posted February 18, 2008 02:37 PM        
quote:
VerticalScope seems to be sucking up enthusiast born forums of automotive/powersports, technologies and general sports topics to create some sort of self serving, monolithic, advertising opportunity.

After just a brief visit to some of their latest acquisitions, it seems that they all look strikingly similar. One can only assume that there will be slow "sterilization" of editorial content to make it more appealing to potential advertisers.

Definitely that slimy feel of sales/marketing types. Ah well, there are other duc sites not under their thumbs. But i will do the only thing i can to try and stop them. Make no purchases from advertisers on those sites.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted February 21, 2008 08:21 AM        
not that it's surprising, but it seems that even Beansbaxter has sold out to Verticalscope!

What a shame

MAXIMUS

Needs a job
posted February 21, 2008 09:30 AM        Edited By: MAXIMUS on 21 Feb 2008 08:30
Not to blow smoke up fish and PK's ass but you have done well here, I have been a member of other forums and this is the only place where you can come and you feel its like home. thanks brothers and sisters.
  Ignore this member   
thekaz

Needs a job
spell chequer is bustimicated
posted February 21, 2008 10:40 PM        
quote:
Not to blow smoke up fish and PK's ass but you have done well here, I have been a member of other forums and this is the only place where you can come and you feel its like home. thanks brothers and sisters.

Agreed 100%

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted February 22, 2008 07:16 AM        
How much are they paying for sites?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted February 22, 2008 07:22 AM        
quote:
How much are they paying for sites?

who's "they"?

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: 1000RR.net + Kawiforums + Gixxer.com + R1-Forum now owned by a marketing company... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.724153995514 seconds processing time