Ducati Superbike Discussion Forum
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DESMOSUPERBIKES.com > Thread: World Press Intro - Pirelli launches new Diablo Rosso & Bikeland's along for the ride NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Editor

Administrator
posted December 14, 2007 12:01 AM        Edited By: Staff on 14 Dec 2007 09:19
World Press Intro - Pirelli launches new Diablo Rosso & Bikeland's along for the ride

I've been invited to Santa Paula, a secluded Wild West town just north of Los Angeles, to sample the evolution of Pirelli's Diablo lineage. Pirelli has gathered a group of riders all eager to experience the next generation of street Sportbike tire technology - the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso.

We're presented with a Rolodex of bikes to choose from and I grab a 2007 CBR1000RR - after a short night's sleep we suit up and leave for a 137 mile rip through the hills. The winding twisty canyon roads are scattered with football-sized pine cones, rocks, gravel, two large hyena type dogs, but luckily no police.

The next part of this review is pure fiction and is in no way an account of what may or may not have taken place in reality...

*begin fiction*

Lofting the front wheel in the air, the RR wheelies down the street - the bike, in sync with the new tires, hooks up perfectly.

The weather is fantastic, the temperature in the mid 80's and the riders experienced. As our group begins to get into a groove, speeds pick up and the pack divides itself. Being a relatively fast, but not insanely fast street rider I find myself at the back of the "fast 4" in the lead.

Dodging rocks in the road, I concentrate in an effort to keep up - glancing down at the speedo nets sustained triple digit license erasing readouts.

All is well.

I latch on to the Triumph 675 in front of me and stay one apex behind it, carving in and out of the corners and into the bright-dark-bright-dark of the contrasty California sunshine.

As the new tires heat up, they begin to break in and quickly build confidence.

After a mere 60 miles I forget that I'm on a brand new bike with fresh rubber. I forget about the fact that this fine piece of machinery doesn't belong to me... Through some tight left-handers my knee drags the ground and I think to myself... this is far too easy. The combination of the big Honda and the perfectly balanced and predictable Pirelli's has me driving this bike like I stole it - I smile.

The 1000RR is a blissfully easy bike to ride and the Rossos make it even easier.

Our own private Cannonball run flies past one-horse town after another ... Double yellow, single yellow - it just doesn't matter. We rocket through the straights at over 140mph and I catch myself wondering just how fast the racetrack will be if we're cooking like this on the open road? Entering the Interstate I have to convince myself that this is okay... Since this is pure fiction - only a dream - I would never consider breaking a buck twenty on the Superslab - but in this imaginary haze of a daydream it's happening. Nobody would believe me if I told them.

*pause fiction*

Pirelli is an enthusiast driven company. Taking a look around at the people hosting this event it's easy to see that the passion of motorcycling flows through the roots of everyone who's there. They all ride and the passion they have about their product, about its development and about the Sport is genuine.

The Diablo Rosso replaces the Diablo tire line which was introduced in 2002. Spare non-standard Sportbike fitment tire sizes, the Rosso is Pirelli's new crown jewel for the street, and it represents five years of development marked by engineers working to keep up with big bore Sportbike and Hyperbike technology.

Ron Bowen, Brand Manager for Pirelli Tire North America, told Bikeland that factors such as increases in horsepower, torque and changes in weight and geometry meant that the Diablo tire line needed to be replaced. Pirelli also saw a need to support the evolution of the naked bike market, a market that has grown worldwide with the introduction of models such as the Kawasaki Z1000. As the OEMs push street ready performance to higher levels, the tire companies need to keep pace.

The Diablo Rosso features elements from other successful Pirelli tires, including a naked edge and a tread pattern derived from the Diablo Supersport and the Diablo family. The new Diablo Rosso has better wet grip performance and excels above the old Diablo in grip, handling and stability.

Diablo (blue) vs Diablo Rosso (red)

*start fiction*

I snap out of it and give my head a shake.

*end fiction*

The dream? It's over and suddenly I'm at the Streets of Willow - damn good thing none of the above had ever taken place or I'd probably be in jail! I've got to stop having dreams like that!

The Diablo Rossos shows little wear after our short, slow, controlled road trip. Nicely broken in, they're ready for some time on the track. The Rosso is a tire primarily designed for street use, but Pirelli's Ron Bowen told Bikeland that they wanted us to try the tire on the track so that we could see just how far their newest street tire could be pushed.

My first impression of Willow Springs is that it's a small, tight and bumpy track. Mostly right handers, there are lots of corners where pylons redirect you from one part of the track to another. I find this entertaining, but distracting at the same time. The Honda and the tires are performing flawlessly, but me? My limited track experience and the occasional humiliating warp speed pass by Attack Kawasaki's Steve Rapp aren't helping any.

With plenty of tire left, exhausted, I sit out the last session so I can grab some interviews and call it a day.

I've always had a positive experience with Pirelli's tires. I'm comfortable with them. I trust them. I buy them with my own money. The new Diablo Rosso is sticky enough to be pushed to the limit on the street, perform and give confidence and feedback. It can handle the likes of a pro like Kawasaki's Steve Rapp, and even keep Joe Average like me up on two wheels - in the Canyons and on the track.

The new Diablo Rosso should hit the store shelves this December, carrying an MSRP that is only slightly higher than its predecessor. The Rosso is available in all modern standard Sportbike sizes.

Source: Bikeland.org

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Editor's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted December 14, 2007 12:01 AM        
nice....

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
stevewfl

the article was good too
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
so how do these compare to the Pilot Powers or the Dunlop Qualifiers? should be in the same league, are they? How is the wear on them, the one in the pic looks a bit shagged, but I understand that on the track, its to be expected. But in comparison how did they hold up. Any idea on price? Is it compareable to the others as well?

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

quote:
so how do these compare to the Pilot Powers or the Dunlop Qualifiers? should be in the same league, are they? How is the wear on them, the one in the pic looks a bit shagged, but I understand that on the track, its to be expected. But in comparison how did they hold up. Any idea on price? Is it compareable to the others as well?

+1 a lot is left unsaid, but for an article saying "new tire coming" it seems very good

I'd also like to know more about the compound, price, and will Perelli offer a dual compound to compete with the Pilot Power 2CT? But doesn't matter too much to me, I run Michelins unless a miracle tire comes available in comparison
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
Steve I forgot: do you run Pilot Power, Race, or 2CT? on the street bike and the track bike.
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted December 15, 2007 03:47 PM        
I have been running Pilot Powers on the street, and either Pirelli Super Corsas for the track, or Bridgestone BT002's.....I think the ZX12 is going to get a set of Pilot Road 2's when I pick it up...they aught to give me good enough traction for the roads around here, and get decent milage out of them.....

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 15, 2007 03:59 PM        
quote:
Steve I forgot: do you run Pilot Power, Race, or 2CT? on the street bike and the track bike.

I have been running pilot powers on the street and pilot race medium compound on the track (pavement temps here). I might get a couple of 2CT's soon for the street. In Fl its not a big deal about side tread on the street, although folks here seem to think so.

street:

track:

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
LeoVinceZX14

Expert Class
Thankfully...its paid for...
posted December 16, 2007 04:37 AM        Edited By: LeoVinceZX14 on 16 Dec 2007 04:41
Tires....what about the roads?

Guys:

I agree with Dark Lord that it would have been nice to have some more comparative feedback versus other brands but given that it was an intro session, well done as I would expect from Pirelli. That said, the story just reminded me that Cali has just some great roads and track venues for bikes. The "fiction" ride reminded me of the last ride I took on the 14 in Ocala National Forest down here in Florida and picture # 2 captures a blue '07 14 just like mine was. Just a great ride, roosting all morning at 100+ MPH with only an occasional 4 wheeler to interrupt. Yeah it was a 200 mile roundtrip just to get to the roads, but well worth it. Yes Steve, one of the "stealth roads".

Ride Safe....
BMC filter
Leo Vince 4-2-1 w/ carbon can
Sato frame sliders
Supersprox 42T
Cox radiator guard
DID 530 X-ring chain.

Ignore this member   
blackbullet76

Pro
posted December 16, 2007 07:47 AM        
How do the rosso's compare to the corsa III's?
BMC race filter
Flies removed
16 tooth front sprocket
Speedohealer
APE cam chain tensioner
Vortex rearsets

Ignore this member    Click here to visit blackbullet76's homepage. 
blackbullet76

Pro
posted December 16, 2007 07:47 AM        
How do the rosso's compare to the corsa III's?
BMC race filter
Flies removed
16 tooth front sprocket
Speedohealer
APE cam chain tensioner
Vortex rearsets

Ignore this member    Click here to visit blackbullet76's homepage. 
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted January 04, 2008 01:12 PM        
shit how do they compare to anything.....lol

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted January 04, 2008 02:15 PM        
quote:
shit how do they compare to anything.....lol

+1

but the pics are kewl!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
FASTESTBUSAAROUND

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted January 04, 2008 03:24 PM        
Nice pics Fisheye, LOL

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted January 04, 2008 03:28 PM        
Damn fellas, I'm betting that Im not the only one here who sees those brand spanking new tires and see's in there minds eyes all the fun they would have wearing them down! I love fresh tires! They dont love me though, cuz I use tough love on them
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted January 04, 2008 04:58 PM        
Well I waited to see a report that would compare these to other tires, and as I need tires and the report/ comparison hasnt surfaced, I went ahead and bought a set of Pilot Road 2's to put on the ZX12R. I will write a report up on them after I get them mounted and see how they fair in comparison to other tires I have ridden. I dont have expierence with any Sport Touring tires. So I will have to do a comparison with tires such as the Pilot Powers, the Pirelli Dragons, and the Metzler Sprtec M1's. Those are the closest tires that I have expierence with.

Just ordered the Pilot Road 2's off of Ebay, paid right at $300 for a set with a 120/70 front and a 190/50 rear.

Wasnt cheap, and I will see if they are worth it.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted January 04, 2008 07:05 PM        
" I will write a report up on them after I get them"

kewl!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
posted January 17, 2008 10:37 AM        
wrote up my initial report on teh ZX12R side of the house...will add more as I ride the bike more and log more miles on them.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DESMOSUPERBIKES.com > Thread: World Press Intro - Pirelli launches new Diablo Rosso & Bikeland's along for the ride NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.26628804206848 seconds processing time