Ducati Superbike Discussion Forum
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DESMOSUPERBIKES.com > Thread: 1098 600 Mile Report NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted June 03, 2007 11:10 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 4 Jun 2007 09:28
1098 600 Mile Report

I took the 1098 in for the 600 mile check a little early since the steering head bearings were clicking away and annoying me. There is a bulletin on this (TSB-07-001) which has a serial number range. Mine was in there and the bearings were loose within 150 miles. They were tightened, but then loosened again. I just waited for the service to have them replaced. Dave and his crew at Bend EuroMoto did the job in a day for me, charging $158.87. That's one hour of labor at $85.00 plus four liters of Motul 300V and a filter.
I wanted the brakes bled and the throttle cables adjusted to my liking and they were able to do that as well. The bike came back clean and tight, couldn't have been better.

I'm really not pleased with the injection mapping below 4000. It's obviously lean, runs jerky and is just screaming at me that it's not happy. I can only assume that this is an emissions related compromise. Others are not complaining about this- maybe it's just me or my bike. Whether or not I do an exhaust (of course I will), I will get the Power Commander on there as soon as I can get my hands on one. When you're on the gas, though, this thing does rip. I like the shift lights, because the digital bar on the tach is not so easy to read. Especially with the 300V in there now, this bike shifts without the clutch quicker and smoother than any other I have ever ridden. It's only a tic slower than a button.

I ran it to 162 this morning. It gets to 140 REALLY quick, I think quicker than a ZX-10 or GSXR but takes a little while in 5th and 6th to get into the big numbers. I had about a mile total and ran out of road, I'm pretty sure 175 is easily attainable on the stock setup and wouldn't be surprised if it hit the limiter. It definitely feels like it could use a tooth less on the rear for top speed. 160 on this bike feels like 200 on the 12. It's twitchy and I can't get behind the fairing of course, so the wind is very noticeable and you really feel like you're haulin' ass (which you are, of course).

fish tells me he's draggin' his knee and is off the edge of the tires. I don't do that intentionally on the street, 'cause if you're that far down, you don't have anyplace to go if you need to tighten up. Having said that, I have achieved record lean angles (for me)and have about 3/8" of the tire unscuffed. This thing is a precision instrument, that's for sure. I have had to sharpen up my skills to use the bike the way it should be used. Which brings me to this: You just can't ride it the way it begs to be ridden on the street and expect to remain either uninjured or out of jail. The edges of the handling envelope are pretty far out there, in real race bike territory. It's awe inspiring and demands respect. I think a track day is in order.
Oh, and it's REALLY light and the mirrors SUCK.
Doug

Ignore this member   
deathpulse

Pro
posted June 03, 2007 11:42 PM        
Hey Doug! Glad to hear your baby is doing well. I will confirm your complaint about the mapping below 4000. I originally thought it was me lagging the engine (see some of my previous posts) and that it was "normal" for twins like the 1098 to do this, but after reading this post, I think you may be right - could be a mapping issue. BTW - I don't think I can ride this thing the way it beggs to be ridden on the track either . She's a handful!!

Does anyone have any idea when the PC-III will be out for the 1098?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 04, 2007 08:29 AM        
what are you guys doing below 4000 rpm anyways? Live a little!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
madmike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted June 04, 2007 10:28 AM        
LOL... good write up!!! sounds like one hell of a fun machine!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
beewhy

Parking Attendant
posted June 04, 2007 11:33 AM        
doug, any chance you know what serial numbers the bearing issues are affecting?
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted June 04, 2007 01:13 PM        
Dunno, but your dealer should have the bulletin.
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted June 05, 2007 01:40 PM        
One more thing....
When riding in the above mentioned ( sporty?) manner, the reserve light goes on in 90 miles, having used 2.5 gallons of fuel (36 mpg).

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DESMOSUPERBIKES.com > Thread: 1098 600 Mile Report NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21048188209534 seconds processing time