HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > HAYABUSA-ZONE.com > Thread: Woman discovered motorcyclist’s body was inside back of her car NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted April 28, 2009 11:04 AM        
Woman discovered motorcyclist’s body was inside back of her car

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/766064.html?

quote:
News - Local / Metro Tuesday, Apr. 28, 2009
After crash, shock: 'I just heard a crunch'

Kelly Rahn was driving home to Columbia on Saturday night after a two-day hike in the Upstate with her two coonhounds, Bonsey and Buddy.

Bonsey, a 5-year-old Redtick Coonhound, was resting in the back of her 2003 Subaru Outback station wagon, while Buddy, a 4-year-old Treeing Walker Coonhound, was in the front passenger seat.

“He had just finished an eight-mile hike that day, and he was exhausted,” Rahn said of Bonsey. “Hopefully, he was sound asleep and was in a place where he wanted to be.”
Bonsey

Bonsey died Sunday in a crash on I-26.

Bonsey never made it home.

About 9:30 p.m., authorities say, a motorcycle traveling at least 100 mph crashed into the rear of Rahn’s station wagon on I-26 eastbound near the Broad River Road exit in the Irmo area.

The impact sent the driver of the 2009 Suzuki motorcycle, John E. White Jr., 41, of Newberry, crashing through the back window of Rahn’s Subaru, authorities said.

White died. So did Bonsey.

In an interview Monday with The State, Rahn, 39, an emergency room nurse at Palmetto Health Baptist, said she was still in shock over the crash — and the loss of her beloved dog, which she had rescued about 1½ years ago.

“We named him Bonsey because he was bones — he was skinny,” she said, noting he had become a 65-pound, healthy, energetic dog.

Rahn said she was traveling between 60 and 63 mph — her car on cruise control in the middle lane — when her car was rear-ended. She said she thinks she was struck closer to the White Rock exit, though she said she stopped near the Broad River Road exit.

“I just heard a crunch in the back, and windows popping. I was worried (Bonsey) was going to get thrown around.”

Rahn said she didn’t know at first that the motorcyclist had flown through her back window.

She said she quickly pulled off the highway, thinking the other driver would be right behind her to wait with her until police arrived.

“I didn’t really see anyone pulling up behind me. Then I went to the back (of the Subaru) and instead of my dog, I saw a dead body. His waist was pretty much bent at the hatch.”

Rahn said a pet gate that kept Bonsey in the back likely prevented the motorcyclist’s body from flying into the front of the vehicle. She said she and Buddy were unharmed.

A short time before the crash, a state trooper clocked White traveling at 99 mph and tried to stop him, “at which time the rider accelerated,” according to a Richland County Sheriff’s Department incident report. As the trooper “maintained a visual,” the motorcyclist “continued to pull away from him,” the report said.

From 2000 through 2007, White had been convicted four times for speeding — three times for speeding 10 mph or less, and once for speeding more than 10 mph but less than 25 mph, according to his 10-year driving history provided to The State by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles.

Before the crash, White’s last traffic violation was Feb. 23, 2008, when he was ticketed for careless or negligent driving; he was convicted on that charge March 5, 2008, records show.

Efforts Monday to reach White’s family were unsuccessful.

Rahn said she can’t understand why White was traveling so fast Saturday night.

“I feel for his family, and I’m sorry he lost his life. But whether you’re in cars or on motorcycles, everyone needs to slow down.

“Do you really need to get there that fast?”
Reach Brundrett at (803) 771-8484.[

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted April 28, 2009 11:43 AM        
...tragic...

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted April 28, 2009 01:36 PM        
poor bonesy....

Ignore this member   
MAXIMUS

Needs a job
posted April 28, 2009 02:26 PM        
Its riders like that, that draw negative attention to the rest of us.
RIP rider and dog.

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 28, 2009 06:56 PM        
quote:
Its riders like that, that draw negative attention to the rest of us.
RIP rider and dog.

+1 No Shitter there!

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
Pudsky

Novice Class
posted May 04, 2009 08:26 PM        
....overdriving abilities and road conditions. Be smart friends. Tragic accidents like this happen way too often.
  Ignore this member   
mike1024

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2009 06:58 AM        
the way the article was written was from the perspective of a non rider. Sounds and hints of sarcasm and apathy towards the motorcycle regardless of the surrounding circumstances....

Interesting, literary tidbits we pick up on.

Ignore this member     
Shogun

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2009 01:47 PM        
"60 to 63 mph with the cruise control on"...sounds like someone is covering their ass on any potential blame. Sure the 100mph is the main culprit, but what do ya bet the Subaru jammed on the brakes when the bike roared up behind her??

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > HAYABUSA-ZONE.com > Thread: Woman discovered motorcyclist’s body was inside back of her car NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.870806932449 seconds processing time