HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2007 zx-14 motor fail @13k miles NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
willkrash

Parking Attendant
turbo all the things!!!
posted April 07, 2015 12:01 PM        
2007 zx-14 motor fail @13k miles

hey everyone I just joined the forum, I have a 2007 special edition zx-14 and while riding my motor randomly blew a hole in the block from cylinder 3 failing..the bike only has 13 k on it so that was a little surprising but anyways..motor will be out tonight and we will start the rebuild. were looking to build a motor to safely take 15-20lbs from a turbo but only want to run 10ish lbs...anyone have hints on where to look or have built a similar setup and know where to find parts?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted April 08, 2015 03:52 PM        
was the motor stock? too bad about the failure.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
willkrash

Parking Attendant
turbo all the things!!!
posted April 08, 2015 04:00 PM        
Yeah..power commander and leo vince exhaust was all..damn shame..but gave me an excuse to start my turbo build sooner

Ignore this member   
willkrash

Parking Attendant
turbo all the things!!!
posted April 09, 2015 11:15 AM        
So we got into the motor and found that the nut on the connecting rod backed out on cylinder #3 causing the kaboom.. quiet a bit of damage..looks like I'll need oil pan/and upper(possibly lower case also) crank/ rods/ pistons... or see if I can find a motor built for boost already

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 11, 2015 09:14 PM        Edited By: INTIMIDA2OR on 12 Apr 2015 05:14
Dammit. Talk about a catastrophic failure. That blows!!

My 06 Red just turned 150,000k old . She's been the best machine of any kind i have ever owned.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted April 13, 2015 10:28 PM        
quote:
So we got into the motor and found that the nut on the connecting rod backed out on cylinder #3 causing the kaboom.. quiet a bit of damage..looks like I'll need oil pan/and upper(possibly lower case also) crank/ rods/ pistons... or see if I can find a motor built for boost already

Doubt the nut came off first. more likely the rod bearing spun, opened a gap and the smacking on the big end stretched opening and the bolt enough to then leave the nut loose. Then it might have turned the rest of the way off. Chances are you already needed a rod and a crank before there was a hole in the case.

Note: case halves are machined as a unit and sold as set. No way to reliably mix 'n' match.

Ignore this member   
willkrash

Parking Attendant
turbo all the things!!!
posted May 10, 2015 01:46 PM        
certainly a possibility, I don't know too much about internals. either way she is screwed lol.. ive found a few wiesco piston kits but idk much about them

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2007 zx-14 motor fail @13k miles NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21879100799561 seconds processing time