HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Left side subframe, necessary? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Rook

Pro
posted November 17, 2014 09:18 PM        
Left side subframe, necessary?

I'd like to run the bike without that 14 inch square tube that runs along the left side from the engine mount to the back of the air box. Weighs about a half pound, I'd say. Will the main frame be strong enough without it?

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted November 18, 2014 02:38 PM        
Man.. if only the KHI engineers were members here.

I guess it will hold until it doesn't. Maybe swiss cheese it instead? bet you could get it down to .5 lbs.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted November 18, 2014 04:36 PM        
Ha--"swiss cheese it!" I guess I could do that. Or else cut a flat piece of aluminum. and replace with that.

It looks like the Kaw engineers thought about putting one of these things on the right side as well. There are holes in the same places on the right side of the main frame.

I only knew of one person who ever operated the bike without this part. I think I might just try it. I don't believe it is vital. The bike has a suspension. The main frame should support the engine.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted November 18, 2014 08:38 PM        
There are at least a few kawi engineers here

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted November 18, 2014 08:52 PM        
I have removed one of those square tubes on the back of my 1st zx14 connecting the subframe. I didnt have passengers ever so i didnt seem it useful nor did it seem to affect anything.

2009 ZX-14 SE--has two wheels and an engine

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted November 19, 2014 06:41 AM        
The tail subframes are also coming off of my bike. I have no concern about that as long as I am not carrying a passenger. The left side subframe looks like it might play a role in preventing flexion of the airbox frame.
  Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted November 23, 2014 12:47 PM        Edited By: Rook on 23 Nov 2014 20:48
The left side subframe has the only bolt hole where the left side fairing attaches to the frame. I guess the subframe will stay for now. Maybe one day I will figure out a way to attach the left side fairing to in font of the battery compartment. That's where Kaw put the bolt hole for the right side fairing.
  Ignore this member   
SixSixoh6

Zone Head
posted November 23, 2014 08:03 PM        
ah, yeah thats true too

2009 ZX-14 SE--has two wheels and an engine

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted November 24, 2014 10:00 PM        
quote:
The left side subframe has the only bolt hole where the left side fairing attaches to the frame. I guess the subframe will stay for now. Maybe one day I will figure out a way to attach the left side fairing to in font of the battery compartment. That's where Kaw put the bolt hole for the right side fairing.

I still smell cheese.

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted November 27, 2014 12:28 PM        
I believe that reinforcement bar is there because the left side of the frame is a bit weaker than the right because of the large opening on the left that the air filter resides in.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted December 03, 2014 02:20 PM        Edited By: Rook on 3 Dec 2014 22:21
HMMM. Maybe. Good observation. I just looked. The air filter slot cuts right across the whole side of the atrbox/frame at an angle. It might not be vital but it sure seems like something you would want to have in place if the bike ever took a real hard bump.

It also holds the main wiring harness away from the engine.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Left side subframe, necessary? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25991010665894 seconds processing time