HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 6" or 10" over swingarm NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
lilryan

Novice Class
posted November 14, 2013 05:07 PM        
6" or 10" over swingarm

I ride my bike on the street probably 95% of the time. Only go to the track a couple times a year. I live in Southeast Kansas. I was looking at doing a Tracdynamic extended swingarm. I was wondering which arm you guys would recommend. Is there a large handling difference between the two arms? I am not a super aggressive rider in the corners, and there are not that many corners where I live for that matter. I had read on hear that an optimal length for drag racing is around 68", which the 10" arm would put me close to, but I didn't know if the handling dropped off a bunch when going out from a 6" to a 10" arm. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted November 14, 2013 06:06 PM        
If you only go to the track a couple times a year, leave it SWB. Seriously, why change the bike 100% for 5% of the use?

That said, if you want to go hard in a straight line on the strip.. 10" over will help more than 6". I'll warn you that longer makes it slower form stop light to stop light on a the street. Thing won't hook for shit unless you are on a prepped surface except on hot sunny days. Plus making longer comes with added requirements.. drag shock or at the very least a heavy spring. Longer chain, brake lines etc. Maybe even need a tiger tail so you got the room under there?

Ignore this member   
lilryan

Novice Class
posted November 14, 2013 07:06 PM        
I am mostly doing it for looks, which is why I said I only go to the track a few times a year. I understand the additional requirements for extending the bike. I was hoping to find someone that has ridden a bike with the two different lengths around on the street and how they behaved. I appreciate your input though. Traction on the street is something to consider. Your bike looks really good in your avatar. How much is it stretched?

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted November 14, 2013 07:48 PM        
You'll be fine at 10" over if you are just riding around town.. mostly straight lines etc. Even good for interstate at 10" over. Depending on how low you go, wanna be careful going into driveways, speed bumps, pot holes etc.

That pic was several years back. It's about 6" over in that pic. It was more streetable then for sure. It's 10" over and lower now. For cruising around town... surface streets and quick freeway bursts it's still OK. I am keeping my 2013 14r SWB. I use it for touring and road trips etc. The 07 is pretty much just doing track duty these days.

Here is how it sits now:

Ignore this member   
lilryan

Novice Class
posted November 14, 2013 08:47 PM        
Your bike looks great. It sounds like 6" over might be better for street duty. So you could tell a big difference between the two stretches? I am getting the cut oil pan to help with the ground clearance. I was thinking about lowering the front .75-1in and using the middle hole on my lowering links. I figured that would leave me enough clearance. Again, your bike looks great.

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted November 14, 2013 09:46 PM        
Thanks. I have tried to keep it streetable enough to actually ride it on the street and still be track ready when the mirrors come off and a few clicks on the rear rebound are turned into it. It seems to be working out OK. It looks good to me, but I never focused on the way it looks over the way it functions, and there are many bikes I have seen with way more trick parts and performance parts then my lame, obsolete, bike. And for all the effort on this bike, the single biggest performance thing I have done was me losing over 60 lbs. Huge diff. Hoping to be down another 30 when the game starts again in spring. We'll see? Anyway, I wouldn't say there is real big difference in handling from 6 to 10.. but I don't try and drag a knee on this bike either.

Ignore this member   
lilryan

Novice Class
posted November 14, 2013 09:51 PM        
Thanks for all the input. You have been a big help. Maybe some other people will chime in over the next few days.

Ryan

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted November 17, 2013 05:25 PM        
I have 10 over muzzy arm bike looks sick handels like shit on the street
Hooks like ass on the street 6 hooked on street . 10 on track was nasty as fuck

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 6\" or 10\" over swingarm NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22213196754456 seconds processing time