HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Main throttle position sensor replacement NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Bike junky

Parking Attendant
Bike Junky
posted October 17, 2013 12:34 PM        
Main throttle position sensor replacement

I've changed them on several cars, but not a ZX14. Shop Manuel has the data needed, any thing to watch out for? Manual wants you to replace the throttle bodies, factory set. The bike has a stumble at 4600 rpms like the accelerator settings needs more fuel.

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted October 17, 2013 01:16 PM        
Do you have a speadohealer installed on a 06-11 or is it a 14r with non-OEM sprockets?

Ignore this member   
Bike junky

Parking Attendant
Bike Junky
posted October 17, 2013 01:55 PM        
No speedo healer, stock gears, stage 1 Muzzy turbo, 250 LPH fuel pump, 725 cc injectors, 1:1 vacuum fuel pressure regulator. It's had the stumble for quite some time, came on very gradual over 10,000 miles. Power Commander V also.

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted October 17, 2013 03:12 PM        Edited By: MotoCycho on 17 Oct 2013 23:15
Well.. if it happens at a specific RPM I doubt it's the TPS. What are the chances that you are at the same dead or bad spot in TPS every time you are at 4600 RPM or vice versa... slim to nill. If you hold the throttle at a set position before the engine passes thru the trouble RPM, then let the engine accelerate, say 3200 thru to 5000, and the engine stumbles anyway, then it is very unlikely the TPS is the cause. If it was the TPS the problem would happen no matter what the RPM was as long as you were in the bad spot on the TPS.

That said, you can test the TPS with the engine off and the power on with a volt meter on the signal wire. at the TPS, forget the correct color.. I can look it up if you need that? Anyway.. get a your volt meter connected to it and watch the voltage change as you very slowly move from 0% to 100%. The start volts should be about .65-.75 and the 100% will be 3.7ish. Really you are looking for dead spots or radical changes during the smooth transition of the throttle. You won't see any cuz it's not your issue.

Ignore this member   
Bike junky

Parking Attendant
Bike Junky
posted October 17, 2013 04:54 PM        
TPS checks out good. I'll fine tune the map looking at the accelerator pump function. It doesn't have an accerlator pump per say like a carb.

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted October 18, 2013 03:36 PM        
Use an oscilloscope to check the tps for bad segments.........
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
Bike junky

Parking Attendant
Bike Junky
posted October 24, 2013 08:49 AM        
I bought a lap top and learned how to tune the Power Commander V. All I had to do was fatten up the mixture slightly in the hesitation rpm, runs great now. Taking your guys advise saved me a lot of time and money by not barking up the wrong tree.

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted October 24, 2013 10:50 AM        
quote:
I bought a lap top and learned how to tune the Power Commander V..

now get you the auto tune for the pcv and learn a little more..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Main throttle position sensor replacement NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20834398269653 seconds processing time