HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: connecting rods NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 08, 2013 10:37 AM        
connecting rods

hey guys looking to get some suggestions on aftermarket rods. I have always thought stock was good enough for my applications but after a rod breaking between the piston and the big end I no longer feel that way. so looking for help in deciding the best brand and the best price. thanks for an input you guys may have.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 08, 2013 11:07 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 8 Sep 2013 19:08
Carrillo H-Beam is the way to go, imo.

Stroker motor, or ?? Under what conditions did the rod break? Sounds like a candidate for a detonation issue...

Shane

Ignore this member   
Ozonkiller

Expert Class
posted September 08, 2013 11:37 AM        
quote:
Carrillo H-Beam is the way to go, imo.

Stroker motor, or ?? Under what conditions did the rod break? Sounds like a candidate for a detonation issue...

Shane

+1

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 08, 2013 12:02 PM        
no stock motor ....running this motor for 4 yrs planned on freshening up over the winter. but not sure of a detonation issue at all bike was running on ecu. no pc5 that had just died. running stock with pipe

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 08, 2013 12:09 PM        
quote:
no stock motor ....running this motor for 4 yrs planned on freshening up over the winter. but not sure of a detonation issue at all bike was running on ecu. no pc5 that had just died. running stock with pipe

Stock rods would not just die on that setup. There is a root cause.

Shane

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 08, 2013 03:30 PM        
ok whats your opinion? its not the first ive heard of this and its happen twice with this bike so if you can save me some dough , i'd like to know

Ignore this member   
KZScott

Needs a life
high on speed
posted September 09, 2013 03:03 PM        
bike in my sig has stock rods, weighs a touch over 600 lbs (add 175 for me) and the 8.32 run was done on 13.5 psi boost while spinning down the track some. ive ran up to 19 psi but havent had a clean pass. i believe the stock 14 rods are better than the stock 12 rods???
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1 1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
CMG Racing RCC Turbos

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted September 10, 2013 08:27 PM        
You said the pc5 had just died.......did you run into a real rich condition? A lot of people have had raw fuel running everywhere after a pc failure......possibly getting into a hydraulic lock situation? It only takes one buuuuuu.....wop! when trying to start the bike to weaken or bend a rod.......

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 11, 2013 04:53 AM        
So if I went back stock settings, and this is a possibility? This is the best theory so far.but we know their rich from the factory.why would this occur after a few races? Thanks for the n help

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 11, 2013 05:35 AM        
So if I went back stock settings, and this is a possibility? This is the best theory so far.but we know their rich from the factory.why would this occur after a few races? Thanks for the n help

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted September 11, 2013 08:59 AM        
No, I meant some people had so much fuel running into the cylinders that it wouldn't turn over normally when they tried to start it back. ( when the pc failed ) The cylinders are locking hydraulicly. A piston is on it's way up when you are starting the bike and the motor gets slammed to a stop from so much liquid in the cylinder. No different than having something solid in there like a piece of metal. That is when the damage can occur. A piston can get cracked in that situation or worse rod or bearing damage. We have guys here ruin there 4-wheelers that way when they submerge them in the water and then try to start them back when the cylinder is full of water. All kinds of engine damage......sometimes just a little and it dies later or sometimes a lot and it dies right then and there.......

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 12, 2013 06:33 PM        
thanks for all the the replies, but I was looking for advice on aftermarket rods. will not use stock rods again. so carrilos, crower wossener quality price that's is what I had hoped for guys

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted September 12, 2013 07:43 PM        
Shane said he recommended Carrillo H-Beam's. And I would recommend his advice.......

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 13, 2013 03:29 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 13 Sep 2013 23:29
quote:
thanks for all the the replies, but I was looking for advice on aftermarket rods. will not use stock rods again. so carrilos, crower wossener quality price that's is what I had hoped for guys

Don't bother with the root cause. Get the most expensive, shiny rods you can afford.

Shane

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 13, 2013 03:45 PM        
shane you never came with any cause at all man or a solution but now your just sounding condescending and I definitely dont need that . so lets not get into this any further. if you have a cause, share that thought if not....

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 13, 2013 03:50 PM        
quote:
shane you never came with any cause at all man or a solution but now your just sounding condescending and I definitely dont need that . so lets not get into this any further. if you have a cause, share that thought if not....

Buy whatever you want, man!

Of course a hydraulic lock will cause that. Of course, if your bike has been through this more than once, it is not normal. Stuck injector, power commander, you leaving out details...whatever. But you want those new rods, so buy them.

I don't know all of the details of your situation, but I do know that the Kaw rods are strong, as has been expressed in this thread.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shane

Ignore this member   
starchild

Expert Class
posted September 13, 2013 07:50 PM        
I have lost two motors an 06 and this one an 08 same rod # 3 same result so maybe now you might understand my reasoning a lil both stock pc5 with a sidewinder that's it. custom map so no fuel issue, so I don't care how strong you think stock rods are, they build aftermarket for a reason...and their are no details left out ok . I only asked about an opinion of rods.. you ask for info.and I gave you it and shane if you haven't heard of the 14s rod issues where the hell have you been man. I know of 7 guys that had rod issue in this past racing alone. not everyone here shane is a newbie and a guy asking for a opinion doesn't need to go through the ringer. no need to be an ass about anything on here your the first guy here that has an attitude about a question asked here so let me say this shane im very sorry to have bothered you. and good luck to you to.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 14, 2013 04:52 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 14 Sep 2013 13:05
More typical issue on these motors is tight bearing clearance leading to a rod/bearing failure, particularly on #3. My race motor has the cases modified by Adams, to supply additional oil to the bearings. But the rod snapping the middle doesn't sound like that at all. Maybe there is more info, and maybe it failed from oil starvation? Perhaps seized the rod on the crank and snapped it? Hard to say from here. The point I am making is that if you don't find the real cause of these failures, then expensive rods won't help. The stock rods themselves are not generally known to be weak. Busa/14/12 stock rods are regularly used in apps up to 300 hp.

My 250 hp stroker has Carrillo's, which is what I suggested to you. Most people stay away from Falicon. Crower and Wossener parts have good success on the Busa platform. But no aftermarket rod is more proven than the Carrillo H-Beam, imo.

That being said, with an oiling problem or cylinder flooding, they can all fail...and catastrophically. I would say the best questions posed would be, "why are my rods failing?", before "which are the best rods I can buy".

Apologies if I have offended you...I can be a little terse sometimes.

Shane

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: connecting rods NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22309684753418 seconds processing time