HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 zx14r air filter screen removal worth it???? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
new14rider

Novice Class
posted April 04, 2013 02:41 PM        
2012 zx14r air filter screen removal worth it????

Anyone ride your bike on the street with the air filter metal screen removed???? Is it worth the extra little gain??? What is the metal screen there for anyway???? Is it for large particles or for extra rigidity?? It looks like a free mod to me!!!! Any risks??? I live in the desert with lots of dust....

Thanks!

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted April 05, 2013 08:22 PM        
Worth it. I'm really not sure what its there for bit I've removed it on all of my bikes that had it
  Ignore this member   
riaansh

Expert Class
posted April 06, 2013 03:49 AM        
With reference to the filter, I found that a BMC gave me the best response when I installed it.
I know with the previous models the standard filter was the best but my experience with the BMC is that it works for the 14r more than for the earlier models. I did not do dyno's before and after, so it's only my experience [seat of the pants feeling]. O yes i also used the auto tune with Brock's street map as base. I was also happy with the auto tune since we only have 95 octane here in RSA.

Ignore this member   
PuckDracon

Novice Class
posted April 06, 2013 08:41 AM        
I pulled the screen on my 2012s just because it was quick and free. The stock filter flows like 40% more then earlier years so I'm not sure an aftermarket filter is worth the money.

I think Brock did some tests and surprisingly pulling the filter made no difference over a descreened one on a 2012.

I would descreen it since it won't hurt anything, and then get an aftermarket filter when it's time to replace the stocker just because its not much more money and is reusable.

Ignore this member   
pilgrimsdad

Parking Attendant
posted June 10, 2014 06:04 AM        
I now this is an old post, however on my first ZX14 (an 06) over the winter the mice had a nice nest in my frame/ air box, Chewed right thru the paper element with the screen removed. I only found it by seeing turds on the front fender, what a mess they made. If I had started the bike it would have got sucked in an done some valve damage! On my 08 I put in a K&N and they never bothered with it (don't think they liked the oil) Now on my 2013 after reading Brocks comments, and listening to the Kawi rep ( who said the screen is for Back Fires) I think I'll just leave mine alone. I line the floor with glue pads to keep the bastards out, and always catch a few. I also stick a BRASS cleaning pad in the end of the muffler. The only reason I say this is what is a couple of HP worth, as compared to what could happen. Also you could save the stock filter for the winter and protect that little 1.4l 200 HP Jewel of a motor.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted June 10, 2014 12:00 PM        
It's worth 3HP on 2012+ 14's

Ignore this member   
pilgrimsdad

Parking Attendant
posted June 11, 2014 07:53 AM        
Seno,
So I descreened my 2013, the bike does feel a little bit quicker. I can hear a little more intake noise around town ( which I like).
I also replaced the plastic screen in the ram air inlet with a 1/4" stainless screen and secured it with JB Marine weld.
Just don't want those mice again. It looks like the old filter screen blocks 25 to 30% of the airflow. Yes I counted all the holes, measured them, did the math and was quite surprised.
Thanks for getting me thinking about it. Never too old to learn. (Turned 60 last week)

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted July 09, 2014 12:43 PM        
The screen IS to prevent flames from exiting your airbox, in case of back-fires, as flames cant travel through a screen (unless inhaled )

Since I can't remember noticing a modern day/fuel injected bike 'back fire' through the injectors - we ditch the screens and keep the extra 2-3 HP. On SOME bikes.

Brock
Brock’s Performance

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 zx14r air filter screen removal worth it???? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24062085151672 seconds processing time