HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ZX14R Wheels weight NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Bishopzx12

Zone Head
posted October 09, 2012 01:07 AM        
ZX14R Wheels weight

Hey what is the stock weight of the zx14r wheels both front and rear. Been eyeing some all alluminum wheel on ebay may spring for a set the first of the year. they are said to be Super Light Weight 7.2lbs (front), 12.7lbs (rear).

I like the look of the good mate withe all black out zx14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forged-Aluminum-Wheels-Ninja-650R-ZX10R-ZX14R-ZX6R-/350607645824?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a1d81c80&vxp=mtr
2000 ZX12R 1270
2002 GSXR 1000 "I was Drunk"
2003 ZX12R 1375
2006 ZX14
2012 ZX14R

Ignore this member   
weighmaster

Expert Class
posted December 12, 2012 04:46 AM        Edited By: weighmaster on 12 Dec 2012 19:47
Hi,

I don't have the wheel weights of the ZX14R but I have them for the ZX-14. I think I read the newer ZX-14R wheels are about 3.3 pounds lighter than the older ZX-14 wheels so that would make them about 27 pounds per wheelset for bare wheels.

I have OEM wheels from a 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 I am giving you the weights of here:

The front bare wheel with no rotors, no bearings is about 11.3 pounds. The rear wheel with all 3 bearing sets installed but no rotor and no sprocket is just under 19 pounds. A good quick number is they are about 30 pounds for the wheelset (both wheels) which can quickly allow you to compare them with other wheels.

Just FYI, the front brake rotors from the ZX-14 (2006 model) are 2.7 pounds each which is significantly lighter than some other rotors I have weighed (such as for a 2004 GSXR-1000) which were about 3.3 pounds each.

Generally speaking, with respect to street motorcycles, if the wheel is heavier than the tire being mounted on it, it is considered a "heavy" wheel. A typical front tire on a typical modern day streetbike weighs close to 10 pounds so any front wheel more than 10 pounds (such as the stock ZX-14 front wheel) can be considered "heavy". Similarly, a typical motorcycle rear tire (190/50/17) is about 14 pounds so again, any rear wheel that weighs more than that can be considered "heavy".

A good rule of thumb is you should try to get complete wheels and tires that are no more than 60 pounds total front and rear for a modern streetbike of 1000cc or more. That is ready to mount with all rotors. Less than 50 pounds for all that would be a super weight reduction if you can afford it.

So did you get those wheels you posted the link of?

Ignore this member   
edszx14

Expert Class
posted December 12, 2012 06:23 AM        
My 2008 ZX14 wheel with the rotor, bearings, aluminum sprocket, and dunop tire weighs 36.8 lbs. I don't know the front wheel weight or the front wheel assy weight.

Ignore this member   
weighmaster

Expert Class
posted December 12, 2012 10:20 AM        
FYI, I decided to shed weight on my 2006 ZX-14 and lighter wheels are on the list. Instead of expensive aftermarket wheels, I am going the much cheaper route of going with a ZX-10R rear wheel and either a ZX-10R or ZX-6R front wheel. I am not 100% sure of which model year front wheels are a direct swap so I cannot yet give out good solid advice but when I get everything weighed and the wheels put on, I will have very accurate weights for you. I got frustrated reading other posts with not so accurate weights so I wanted to check for myself so I will soon have 2 sets of ZX-14 stock wheels and one set of lighter wheels (ZX-10R back wheel and ZX6R front wheel). I will also weigh any other parts that get swapped such as brake caliper(s) so I will have both rotating weight savings posted as well as any static weight savings as a direct result of the wheel swap. I'll also be able to let you know how it changes the feel of the bike. I ride 99.99% street so it will be a useful test and useful info for others that ride mostly (or all) street.

My scale is accurate and weighs to the 100th of a pound but I usually round to the nearest tenth of a pound to make it easier to remember the weight (such as 11.3 pounds for the stock 2006 ZX-14 bare front wheel).

My goal is to lose between 7 to 12 pounds in the wheels+tires and have the bike (with me on it suited up and ready to ride with 1/2 a tank of gas) weigh in at about 700 pounds. If I can then get 175 RWHP (including ram air boost), then that would make my power to weight ratio 1 to 4 which is 1 RWHP for every 4 pounds. That is plenty for street use.

I used to have a 2004 ZX-10R but the 2006 ZX-14 is MUCH more comfortable and actually handles pretty well on the street. The weight is coming off and the power has increased slightly (I think) with a Two Bros slip on carbon fiber (CF) system. That alone saved about 17 to 18 pounds.

Ignore this member   
GREYHOUNDMOSES

Expert Class
posted December 12, 2012 05:21 PM        
quote:
I got frustrated reading other posts with not so accurate weights so I wanted to check for myself.....

My scale is accurate and weighs to the 100th of a pound but I usually round to the nearest tenth of a pound to make it easier to remember the weight.

Damn you Shane, making do with grammes.
We need 100th of pounds , you hear? 100th of pounds!

Ignore this member   
zxrider11

Novice Class
posted December 12, 2012 09:33 PM        Edited By: zxrider11 on 13 Dec 2012 13:28
I added the ZX10r wheels to my 2008 ZX14, and here are the weight savings:

ZX14 Stock OEM front wheel & PR3 tire with both stock rotors weighs 28 pounds.
ZX10 wheel & SuperCorsa tire with both ZX14 stock rotors weighs 25 pounds.

ZX14 Stock OEM rear wheel & PR3 190/50 tire with stock rotor, with no sprocket or cush drive weighs 33 pounds.
ZX10 wheel & 190/55 SuperCorsa tire with ZX12 rotor weighs 28 pounds.

My bike weighs 485 pounds with 2 gallons of fuel.

Ignore this member   
weighmaster

Expert Class
posted December 13, 2012 01:28 AM        
Very nice looking bike and impressive weight reduction. I'd be happy if I get my 06 ZX-14 close to 500 pounds with half a tank of fuel.

FYI, I used to have an 05 ZX-10R in that same color as your bike (metallic raw titanium).

I am wondering if anyone knows if instead of swapping in an 06/07 ZX-10R front wheel, if I can use an 07/08 ZX6R front wheel. I was trying to look up if the part numbers are the same but at first glance, they appear different. I am trying to do this dual wheel conversion on my 06 ZX-14 as cost effectively as possible. If the 07/08 ZX6R front wheel is a close fit (but no cigar), what else would I need to make it work?

Thanks.

Ignore this member   
CajunBoyz

Zone Head
posted December 13, 2012 05:24 AM        
quote:
I added the ZX10r wheels to my 2008 ZX14, and here are the weight savings:

ZX14 Stock OEM front wheel & PR3 tire with both stock rotors weighs 28 pounds.
ZX10 wheel & SuperCorsa tire with both ZX14 stock rotors weighs 25 pounds.

ZX14 Stock OEM rear wheel & PR3 190/50 tire with stock rotor, with no sprocket or cush drive weighs 33 pounds.
ZX10 wheel & 190/55 SuperCorsa tire with ZX12 rotor weighs 28 pounds.

My bike weighs 485 pounds with 2 gallons of fuel.

Besides feeling lighter, Do you notice greater acceleration???? What all do you notice.. Do you need the zx-12 rear rotor for the ZX-10 rims,,,,Did you use the OSR kit?

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted December 13, 2012 06:54 AM        
The 6 wheel is same is 10 just bigger axle
  Ignore this member   
weighmaster

Expert Class
posted December 13, 2012 07:30 AM        
quote:
The 6 wheel is same is 10 just bigger axle

What do you mean bigger axle? What model years are you talking about? Please be more specific.

Ignore this member   
zxrider11

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2012 07:51 AM        Edited By: zxrider11 on 14 Dec 2012 01:56
I road race & drag race, so the bike just feels lighter in side-to-side transitions and more sensitive to rider input.

The biggest difference was noticed when removing the stock exhaust and adding the Akrapovic EVO exhaust which dropped 35 pounds, and put me at 190rwhp & about 110tq.

Yes, I used a ZX10 rear rotor, ZX10 rear caliper, ZX10 rear caliper hanger, ZX12 530 rear sprocket and the OSR kit.

Ignore this member   
weighmaster

Expert Class
posted December 13, 2012 08:28 AM        
The OSR site recommends using other components with their kit such as the 06/07 ZX-10R rear brake caliper and the 05/06 ZX636 (ZX6R) hanger bracket for it (since it is already 25mm bore). That is interesting you went a slightly different route using some ZX12 components. Was there any advantage to doing that or just personal preference?

Do you know if you saved any additional static weight such as in the caliper and/or rotor or are those pieces about the same weight as the OEM 14 stuff?

Also, for those people out there reading this wondering if it is worth the hassle and money, I wonder if the same change in feel of the bike can be had just keeping the same stock ZX-14 wheels and going with lighter tires such as Michelin Power Pures and even the smaller front size such as 120/60/17 which weighs only 8.05 pounds (according to Michelin). My ZX-14 could probably lose 4 pounds or so going with "pures" vs. the tires I have on there now and 4 pounds lost in the tires is worth a lot more than 4 pounds in the wheels. I think the ratio is around 3 to 1 so it is like losing 12 pounds in the wheels but that is not totally accurate because it depends greatly on where in the wheel the weight is lost.

Another question readers may have is what does shaving weight from the wheels and tires do for normal street riding? Is it even noticeable? For example, if someone just rides locally but not twistie stuff, will they even notice a difference? To make the front more responsive to input but in a cheap way, could a 14 owner just have one rotor and caliper removed and then just plug up the plumbing to it? My 14 will be geared up soon so I am not worried about wheelies at all. It seems like for normal riding, one brake up front should suffice. I downshift the gears anyway so I am easy on motorcycle brakes plus I am only about 170 pounds ready to ride.

I tend to find the cheap way to do stuff first before I decide to spend money so lighter tires and removing one "brake" up front seems like good "bang" for the buck.

Ignore this member   
zxrider11

Novice Class
posted December 13, 2012 11:01 AM        Edited By: zxrider11 on 14 Dec 2012 02:03
Hold a ZX14 in one hand, and the ZX10 wheel in the other hand - the difference is crazy.

I found all my parts on Ebay and Craigslist. The OSR kit was the most expensive item.

All in I spent about $500 for everything, and that included sand blasting and powder coating for both ZX10 wheels. I keep Bridgestone S20's on my ZX10 wheels for track days and riding around town.

It is a great mod that helps at the race track, and I keep Michelin PR3's on my stock ZX14 wheels for Sport-touring.

Ignore this member   
weighmaster

Expert Class
posted December 13, 2012 01:15 PM        
Well that is all fine and dandy but you dodged a bunch of my questions and points about there may be a much more cost effective way to achieve similar results. If someone buys a used ZX-14 for example that needs 2 new tires, it is MUCH more cost effective to just buy a set of Michelin Power Pure tires to cut a few pounds in the tires. Some people with money may want to do both the lighter wheels and the light tires for a double dose of unsprung weight loss.

For me it is a tough decision because I generally like to go the cheaper route and I already have 4 ZX-14 stock wheels (2 front and 2 rear) and I just bought a new front tire that is not a Power Pure but of course tires can easily be moved to other bikes (I own 3) with the others being a Bandit 1200 and an SV650S.

I like quick acceleration and don't like extra weight bogging me down. I dropped from 185 to 165 pounds bodyweight and I could definitely feel that difference but that was over 10% of my bodyweight lost. For a 550 pound ZX-14 to lose 10%, you would have to get rid of 55 pounds. Assuming there is a 200 pound pizza eating beer drinking ZX-14 driver that refuses to lose bodyweight, then the 750 pounds driver/bike combo would require 75 pounds off of the bike to lose 10% of the combo weight. My point is you may feel the difference in the steering with lighter wheels/tires but I doubt there will be much difference in the acceleration and braking for the average street rider because the weight loss % is so small (even correcting for rotational weight). If there is, I would be very surprised.

Another question some people may have is if ZX-10R wheels are so much lighter than ZX-14 wheels, why doesn't Kawasaki just include them on the new ZX-14s? Why are they reinventing the wheel? (literally).

I think it would be cool if you check your race vs. touring rear combo setup on a dyno. Get your "heavy" rear wheel/tire combo and do some speed test on the dyno like from 80 to 150 MPH in top gear and just do that a few times, timing it each time (maybe with a stopwatch), and take an average time. Then put your light wheel/tire combo on and see if your time improves and by how much. The dyno would have to simulate an identical load each time to be a fair test.

Ignore this member   
NCC1968

Parking Attendant
posted October 22, 2013 03:19 PM        
SO............I gotta stop eatin'......that what you said? LoL
  Ignore this member   
880turbo

Novice Class
posted October 22, 2013 10:10 PM        
I have a set of ZX10 wheels if someone wants to do the conversion. I was going to use them on a friends bike, but he crashed it before we got to do it. Probably 300 for the pair. Contact me directly at 615 - 824 - 6116, or hpugto@gmail.com if interested. Thanks. Mike.
  Ignore this member   
CajunBoyz

Zone Head
posted October 23, 2013 07:13 AM        
quote:
I have a set of ZX10 wheels if someone wants to do the conversion. I was going to use them on a friends bike, but he crashed it before we got to do it. Probably 300 for the pair. Contact me directly at 615 - 824 - 6116, or hpugto@gmail.com if interested. Thanks. Mike.

What year rims are they

Ignore this member   
880turbo

Novice Class
posted October 23, 2013 10:56 PM        
The rims are from an 08 zx10r. Mike.
  Ignore this member   
debo33

Novice Class
posted January 01, 2014 05:23 PM        
Did you get rid of rims..

Ignore this member    Click here to visit debo33's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ZX14R Wheels weight NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.41940784454346 seconds processing time