HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Help please- Bike not shifting properly NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
08smokes

Expert Class
God is love.
posted July 29, 2012 09:27 AM        
Help please- Bike not shifting properly

I had the Cycletek shifter on my 08 ZX14 and it would intermittently not shift into third gear at random times, but every other gear shifted fine.

I replaced the Cycletek with an Annitori RL this week because I want my 14 to shift the same as my S1000RR, and pretty much have the same exact problem. The 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts at higher RPM will fail one out of every two or three times. At low RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and WOT shifting into 4th, 5th, and 6th it works great. It shifts fine when i'm drag racing normally not using the Quickshifter.

People have told me the kill time needs adjustment. I did so on the Cycletek and still had the problem. The Annitori doesn't have a kill time adjustment.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has had a similiar problem or can suggest a fix? I've ridden a couple other ZX14's and by far my tranny is the most clanky of them all. Thanks for your time.

Mike

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 10:28 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 29 Jul 2012 18:29
more kill time.try new sileniod put sileniod on the ram, tire pressure, if all that fails get a race cut transmission ..

the cycletek kill time is max out at 75mls.. thats a good place to start with kill time not be max out at..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 10:44 AM        
Toss the Cycletek shifter switching valve ( blue ) and use the MPS air switching valve , or get one at Grainger .. Mount it right on the ram ..My Cycletek shifter did the same thing as yours .. I also got rid of the Cycletek kill box and used a MPS kill box .. MPS has free life time replacement on their kill boxes ..

Ignore this member   
TurboBike

Expert Class
posted July 29, 2012 02:54 PM        
I have a Cycletek on my Hayabusa. At first I had a couple mis-shifts then adjusted the kill time and since then never missed a shift. I have about 750 shifts through it.

But being we are talking ZX14, perhaps the Cycletek doesn't fare as well. It does suck not having Kill Time adjustment on that Annitori shifter.

A race cut tranny will work wonders and may just be the fix. If you race a lot a race cut is probably necessary.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 02:56 PM        
I have two cycle-teks here, awesome results. Post pics of your shifter/ram setup.

Shane

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 04:06 PM        
quote:
I have two cycle-teks here, awesome results. Post pics of your shifter/ram setup.

Shane
Do you have the little cheap shit air switching valve ? Or did your comes with the larger type all other kits use ?

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 04:10 PM        
quote:
I have a Cycletek on my Hayabusa. At first I had a couple mis-shifts then adjusted the kill time and since then never missed a shift. I have about 750 shifts through it.

But being we are talking ZX14, perhaps the Cycletek doesn't fare as well. It does suck not having Kill Time adjustment on that Annitori shifter.

A race cut tranny will work wonders and may just be the fix. If you race a lot a race cut is probably necessary.
I can tell you it's not his trans .. There is not a problem with the trans in a ZX14R and no need to uncut the gears ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 05:12 PM        
quote:

I can tell you it's not his trans .. There is not a problem with the trans in a ZX14R and no need to uncut the gears ..

bullshitt .. them transmissions wear and cause mis-shifting .. specially if you ad power adder and is heavier than a 12 year old girl ..

ask rickey gadson if he's running a stock transmission ..

Ignore this member   
quick6

Expert Class
posted July 29, 2012 05:33 PM        
the stock trans works good and is pretty bullet proof. but their is always room for improvement. we just done a full 6 speed auto . pretty cool how it works ans let me tell you 6th gear burnouts are awesome.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted July 29, 2012 05:39 PM        
quote:
quote:

bullshitt .. them transmissions wear and cause mis-shifting .. specially if you ad power adder and is heavier than a 12 year old girl ..

ask Richcraft1

wee

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 05:44 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 30 Jul 2012 01:45
quote:
quote:

The bike is brand new , not likely going to wear out that fast .. And we are talking about a stock motor bike here not some turbo bike with a 800 pound big foot riding it ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 05:46 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 30 Jul 2012 01:50
quote:
quote:
quote:

The bike is brand new , not likely going to wear out that fast .. And we are talking about a stock motor bike here not some turbo bike with a 800 pound big foot riding it ..

he has an 08 zx14 ..not a new bike.. and when you shoot something bullet proof enough you can kill it ..

it just amazing how many zx14 i seen leave the line and mis the shift

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 05:48 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

he has an 08 zx14 ..not a new bike
well i had 5000+ runs on my 06 zx14 and never a problem .. Could be his is fucked up ... I can't see it from here ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 06:02 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 30 Jul 2012 02:04
quote:

well i had 5000+ runs on my 06 zx14 and never a problem .. Could be his is fucked up ... I can't see it from here ..

you was the guy i was listening to about bullet proof transmissions since you raced alot..... BUT

you have had 3 race bikes to my 1 in 6 years..and back then i raced every weekend + 60,000 street miles.. so i'm not even gonna measure dicks on passes with you .. but i lost more races to mis-shifts than i won off clean passes ..and it was amazing how a race cut transmission fix that and would let me run less kill time ..I CAN COUNT MIS-SHIFTS on 1 hand since the race cut transmissions have been installed..on 1,000's of shifts from highway to track .. i bet if brock did race cut transmissions you'd be on it like a hobo on a ham samwich..i see ecu editing as useless for $400.00 but $400.00 spent on a race cut transmission as a smarter buck spent.. but each his own..i won't leave home without a race cut transmission in my bike ever again

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 06:24 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 30 Jul 2012 02:29
quote:
quote:

you was the guy i was listening to about bullet proof transmissions since you raced alot..... BUT

you have had 3 race bikes to my 1 in 6 years..and back then i raced every weekend + 60,000 street miles.. so i'm not even gonna measure dicks on passes with you .. but i lost more races to mis-shifts than i won off clean passes ..and it was amazing how a race cut transmission fix that and would let me run less kill time ..I CAN COUNT MIS-SHIFTS on 1 hand since the race cut transmissions have been installed..on 1,000's of shifts from highway to track .. i bet if brock did race cut transmissions you'd be on it like a hobo on a ham samwich..i see ecu editing as useless for $400.00 but $400.00 spent on a race cut transmission as a smarter buck spent.. but each his own..i won't leave home without a race cut transmission in my bike ever again
Sorry Big foot , if i need mine cut my long time friend at MRE will do it for free for me .. Again we are not talking about a worn out turbo bike like yours .. If he has that cheap assed air swicting valve i'm betting money that is his problem .. stay on track big foot .. Eveyone that has used that valve has had problems and you know it ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 06:51 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 30 Jul 2012 02:59
i don't ask my Friends to do nothing for free for me ...wait a minute smokey your the 1 that got off track with this how great a zx14 transmission is .. and can't have an issue when they damn sure can... where you getting this worn out turbo bike .. didn't you just state you had 5000 passes on your zx14 and you never had the motor apart.. i would think your junk was worn out also ... being mine had 1 complete engine replaced in 6 years..

you CAN ALSO SEE I POSTED PUT A NEW SOLENOID ON before you even posted in this thread .. yes i call them air solenoids .not air valves

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 06:54 PM        
I tested both this air valves , the small one made by Mac you could barely hear or feel it click when power was put to it .. The grainer Valve you could hear it click across the room and feel it snap when power was put to it .. On the bike the small one had very lower power even at 155 PSI i could hold it down with light foot pressure when the button was pressed.. The bigger unit it would force my foot up with all my weight on it and would hold as long as i had the button pressed .. The small one would NOT do that ! .. I'm not saying that is his problem but it a great place to start ... For all i know his trans has one millon passes on it is just worn out ..But i don't think that is the case here .. I was told right here on bikeland that cycle tech shifters in the past came with the larger air switching Valve but the new kits come with the smaller Mac air valve shown in the picture above .. Why the change ? Cheaper cost ? I have no clue , i just know it doesn't work well ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:03 PM        
quote:
I tested both this air valves ,

and I've tested those 2 plus two more .. your still old school ..this valve here doesn't have 1/6 air channels but 1/8 air channels which allows it to flow twice the air thru a ram ..http://www.ebay.com/itm/DynoTune-Dragbike-KZ-GS-Electric-Solenoid-Drag-Bike-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Air-Shifter-/330769453207?hash=item4d03655097&item=330769453207&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

so it would probably throw you off the bike if you got your foot on it when it shifts..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:03 PM        
quote:
i don't ask my Friends to do nothing for free for me ...wait a minute smokey your the 1 that got off track with this how great a zx14 transmission is .. and can't have an issue when they damn sure can... where you getting this worn out turbo bike .. didn't you just state you had 5000 passes on your zx14 and you never had the motor apart.. i would think your junk was worn out also ... being mine had 1 complete engine replaced in 6 years..

I don't have to ask for friends to do it for free .. I do pleanty of free stuff for them .. It's what friends do for each other .. And the ZX14R or ZX14 trans is a great trans , just ask R&D or MRE .. I can't say it will hold 500 HP and i didn't say that either .. But a stock motored bike even with low boost or a small shot it's just fine ..

My old 06 is still running fine and has no trans problems ..The guy that owns it drives the shit out of it to this day .. So my shit is worn out ? Seems it's not so worn out .. This guy has a problem and i'm only trying to help him .. I would start with the air shifter first before i dig into the trans ..

Ignore this member   
08smokes

Expert Class
God is love.
posted July 29, 2012 07:04 PM        
Thank you for all your input and experiences 'gents. The bike has 12k miles on it, 3k of them being put on by me and I don't think the previous owner drag raced it from what I could tell.

The last thing I want to do is pull the motor in the middle of the race season to fix/upgrade a tranny.

I'm kinda disappointed I won't be able to use this Annitori. But I will try out that air valve fix first, seems to be the most logical and hopefully that will solve this fiasco. I'll keep you guys updated, but if you have any other good info, please post it. Thanks!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:12 PM        
quote:
quote:
I tested both this air valves ,

and I've tested those 2 plus two more .. your still old school ..this valve here doesn't have 1/6 air channels but 1/8 air channels which allows it to flow twice the air thru a ram ..http://www.ebay.com/itm/DynoTune-Dragbike-KZ-GS-Electric-Solenoid-Drag-Bike-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Air-Shifter-/330769453207?hash=item4d03655097&item=330769453207&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

so it would probably throw you off the bike if you got your foot on it when it shifts..

That is a great looking Valve , also sold by Grainer and made by the same people that makes the valve i'm using .. .. Might be the valve to use in a super high HP bike .. Might be over kill for a stock motored ZX14 .. If i install that valve i can use it to eject myself off the bike ...

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:15 PM        
quote:
Thank you for all your input and experiences 'gents. The bike has 12k miles on it, 3k of them being put on by me and I don't think the previous owner drag raced it from what I could tell.

The last thing I want to do is pull the motor in the middle of the race season to fix/upgrade a tranny.

I'm kinda disappointed I won't be able to use this Annitori. But I will try out that air valve fix first, seems to be the most logical and hopefully that will solve this fiasco. I'll keep you guys updated, but if you have any other good info, please post it. Thanks!
Just make sure you install the valve right to the ram , it pretty easy to do with a 90 Deg elbow .. Should give you faster shifts also .. You may be able to shorten your kill time with it hooked right to the ram ..
Please let us kinow how it works out ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:18 PM        
quote:

.. And the ZX14R or ZX14 trans is a great trans , just ask R&D or MRE ..

then they should never see a zx14 transmission in their shop if they are that great..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:26 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 30 Jul 2012 03:29
quote:
quote:

then they should never see a zx14 transmission in their shop if they are that great..
From what they tell me they don't see that many .The ones they do see are for all out high HP zx14 drag bikes like your turbo bike or they are they for a 1 2 3 auto shift... Lots of busas and gixxers .. And they also see lots of old KZs and GS .. MRE said the zx14 had a good back cut from the factory compaired to other brands .. MRE had to back cut my Vmax trans , that was a great trans for jumping out of second gear .. So was the XS1100 ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2012 07:42 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 30 Jul 2012 03:48
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lots of busas and gixxers .. And they also see lots of old KZs and GS .. ..

thats most of the race bikes .. from what i learnt the busa has the issue of weak shift fork shafts that flex under load thus pulling on the shift fork which then makes the bike jump out of gear ... once it happens you got to replace shaft and forks and cut gears mostly 2nd gear . also only for some dumb reason only 3rd thru 6th have a back cut.. they also have a weak output shaft on gen 1 for high HP and will snap.. . but they only have 4 dogs which give a bigger window of engagement to a zx14 5 dog gear.. and yes them yamaha's are junk for transmissions been there done that too... the gixxers have all gears cut from 07 up from what i'm told and have no issues with transmissions .. i like all bikes but they all have weakness somewhere.. just as they have strong points ..and everything wears over time ..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Help please- Bike not shifting properly NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.83758187294 seconds processing time