HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: bike died on me.. had to tow it home.. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: bike died on me.. had to tow it home..
shawnski

Pro
posted July 22, 2012 01:32 PM        
bike died on me.. had to tow it home..

well.. thjs is the first time for me.. took it for a ride this morning.. everything was fine stopped and got me a coffee and start back up but with some hesitation, went for a 1/2 hr and stop to check my phone messages and when i tried to start it would not do anything.. the green light and oil lite keep flashing... the rpm and speedo needles were calibrating but then stuck in different rpm.. the gadgets reading were working and then disappeared!!! tried everything.. no luck.. actually this happened close to tomball city police department.. couple officer helped me push start.. no luck ... i had no other way to get it back home but tow truck.. so police called a flat bed truck and headed home..
i went and bought a new battery to start with and see what happens.. it is charging right now..
i have noticed recently when i ride it for a while and when i shut it off and then try to start right away.. it has a hard time cranking like the battery went dead but when the engine is cooled off it won't be any problem starting..( weird).. any ideas????

i let you all know if the problem was battery.. i doubt it..

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted July 22, 2012 02:08 PM        
Maybe an oil pressure sensor? Were all your battery cables tight? A google search came up with a few odd things...

Ignore this member   
samin

Novice Class
posted July 22, 2012 02:35 PM        
Yes it could be either battery or groundin issue... Check grounding first. Both ends.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit samin's homepage. 
WRECKSHOP

Expert Class
posted July 22, 2012 02:52 PM        
If you got Power Commander check that too
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 22, 2012 03:11 PM        
thanks guys... the connections were tight but the negative cable connection had a lot of residue... got it cleaned... battery was few years old so i decided go ahead a get a new one.. it is charging .. i try it in a few hrs.. power commander was good..

another thing i noticed, when it would not start, i started wiggling some of the wires by the ignition switch going down to the left lower panel and i noticed that the instrument lites and needles were reacting to what i was doing.. maybe bad connection there too..

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 22, 2012 03:20 PM        Edited By: blue07 on 22 Jul 2012 22:21
Maybe...,but I think your Bat was just finally dying....and the moving of the wires actually had nothing to do with the guages?Low bat amounts can do strange things.How is your driving voltage?That can tell ya right there IF there's a possible stator issue...or something else.Mine runs at 14.3 almost all the time.You could unplug that rear meter plug....then replug back in....maybe reset it?IDK if it WILL reset...but...maybe?It's a computer bike...sometimes stuff like that will do an electrical reset.New battery will most likely get this deal goin again!2 years...ya...some fail at 2 years.
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 22, 2012 05:58 PM        
quote:
Maybe...,but I think your Bat was just finally dying....and the moving of the wires actually had nothing to do with the guages?Low bat amounts can do strange things.How is your driving voltage?That can tell ya right there IF there's a possible stator issue...or something else.Mine runs at 14.3 almost all the time.You could unplug that rear meter plug....then replug back in....maybe reset it?IDK if it WILL reset...but...maybe?It's a computer bike...sometimes stuff like that will do an electrical reset.New battery will most likely get this deal goin again!2 years...ya...some fail at 2 years.

you are correct.. bad batteries can do wonders!! LOL
just finished replacing it and that was it.. the battery , it started fine, rode it for 1/2 hr and turn it off and on and no problem.. my voltage shows 14.2 at all time except when i stop at stop lites.. it goes down to 13's and then when i start taking off it goes to 14.2.. is that normal or could be the stator does not charge well??

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 22, 2012 06:02 PM        
quote:
quote:

you are correct.. bad batteries can do wonders!! LOL
just finished replacing it and that was it.. the battery , it started fine, rode it for 1/2 hr and turn it off and on and no problem.. my voltage shows 14.2 at all time except when i stop at stop lites.. it goes down to 13's and then when i start taking off it goes to 14.2.. is that normal or could be the stator does not charge well??

oh.. by the way those tow truck people charge you arm and leg!!
and thanks to 2 officers of city of tombal, texas for being so nice.. while i was outside waiting they brought me water and offer me to come in to use bathroom or anything else.. they sure got my respect..

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 22, 2012 06:04 PM        Edited By: blue07 on 23 Jul 2012 01:08
Nope....doing just fine!!!!IF it was showing way low while running...or say...in the low 12's,11's,anything like that...THEN you would need to be concerned about a stator.If it's charging...it'll be charging as you see on there....14 something...except when stopped at a light or something.Glad ya gor er fixed...friggin dead bats....they seem to just 'die' so fast...out on the road.Where ya least want it to happen!You will NOT see 14 something when you turn it on to start.13 something...MAYBE high 12's...but running voltage...nope.The CAN and clock and such will drain the bat a bit each sitting.
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 22, 2012 06:44 PM        
quote:
Nope....doing just fine!!!!IF it was showing way low while running...or say...in the low 12's,11's,anything like that...THEN you would need to be concerned about a stator.If it's charging...it'll be charging as you see on there....14 something...except when stopped at a light or something.Glad ya gor er fixed...friggin dead bats....they seem to just 'die' so fast...out on the road.Where ya least want it to happen!You will NOT see 14 something when you turn it on to start.13 something...MAYBE high 12's...but running voltage...nope.The CAN and clock and such will drain the bat a bit each sitting.[/quote

And by the way I forgot to thank kawasaki for making the battery replacement so easy... LOL

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted July 22, 2012 08:03 PM        
quote:
and offer me to come in to use bathroom or anything else.. they sure got my respect..

they wanted your booty

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 22, 2012 08:10 PM        Edited By: blue07 on 23 Jul 2012 03:11
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 23, 2012 05:12 AM        
quote:
quote:
and offer me to come in to use bathroom or anything else.. they sure got my respect..

they wanted your booty

LOL... For riding a crotch rocket I sure got a great respond from them.. I thought they will totally ignore my ass..

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted July 23, 2012 05:15 AM        
quote:
Nope....doing just fine!!!!IF it was showing way low while running...or say...in the low 12's,11's,anything like that...THEN you would need to be concerned about a stator.If it's charging...it'll be charging as you see on there....14 something...except when stopped at a light or something.Glad ya gor er fixed...friggin dead bats....they seem to just 'die' so fast...out on the road.Where ya least want it to happen!You will NOT see 14 something when you turn it on to start.13 something...MAYBE high 12's...but running voltage...nope.The CAN and clock and such will drain the bat a bit each sitting.

I was very suprised the bike did not start with push start.. we tried at least 10 times...

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted July 23, 2012 05:25 AM        
quote:

I was very suprised the bike did not start with push start.. we tried at least 10 times...

If the battery is completely done, will the fuel pump turn on????? No fuel, no start.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 23, 2012 08:36 AM        
You have a point...LOL!!!I never thought of that!!!!!Good one!LOL!
  Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: bike died on me.. had to tow it home.. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.234586000443 seconds processing time