HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 14R Alignment Issue NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 05:24 PM        
quote:
quote:
Has anyone had any issues with the 2012 14R pulling to either the right or left? I may not have noticed the issue if i didn't drag race, but it is obvious when launching with any type of aggression. Even when not racing, taking hands off the bars will cause mine to pull strong to the right. And on a harder launch, it is damn near impossible to keep in a straight line. I was thinking that the bike was doing this only after lowering it, but now I'm convinced it has been doing it from day 1 and that I just hadn't realized it until taking it to the track a couple times and starting to get better on the launch. Smokin' and I talked about the issue and I've tried everything suggested to fix it but nothing has worked. The rear links have been removed, reset, and replaced, the tires replaced, and every measurement from front to rear has been checked and all looks perfect, but the bike still has the problem. If it was just a daily driver that never went to the track, it really wouldn't be as big of an issue, but considering I bought this thing to race, it is a huge dissapointment. I've had many bikes and have made many passes but have never experienced anything like this. My next step is to head back to Kawasaki and see what they can / will do (which I fear will be nothing). But if I knew of any other examples, that might carry some weight. Thanks for any input...

did your bike did that before the modifications ( stock )?? if not maybe something not right with the arm or how it was installed..

I never took my hands off the bars before noticing the obvious right pull when launching. Hard accelerating once rolling, it is not noticeable - just the initial launch. So I can only assume it has done this from day 1. Again, '06 definitely did not do this. I'll keep you guys posted if I ever get it figured out.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 05:25 PM        
BTW - Did this SWB and with extensions - no difference whatsoever.

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 05:40 PM        Edited By: blue07 on 22 Jul 2012 01:47
Pivot shaft not sitting just right?Missing something in there?Spacer or something?Can you get it up on a stand...not one that's supporting the swingarm..and see if that swingarm is moving?Seems if it was moving on hard accelleration...that might explain the drift thing....pulling the rear wheel off alignment just a bit...Wee said his does it....so apparently it's not totally unfounded.I'm thinking flexing and torque...somehow....but you said it does it stock swingarm as well.I've taken off pretty darn hard...full on from a small roll in 1st...and all the way up...I've never felt mine pull either way.
  Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 06:15 PM        
Extensions are not real accurate, , there made accurate but the surface they mount to was machined before welding in place several thou or so out at the axle is no issue untill you "extend the problem", trying to sort out a handling problem on a busa with extensions, accurate measurement with digital levels showed shimming was required at the mount point to get it right .both horizontal and vertical

Also i have owned a bike with a frame alignment issue , pulls like you describe , but the biggest indicator was when the front wheel was skimming or when landing from a wheelie
it would shake , 2 big tankslappers when hard on the gas at about 100mph and everytime landing from a wheelie it would twitch

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted August 04, 2012 01:45 PM        
Update - Local shop and I have brainstormed to no avail. The bike pulls to the right no matter what we try. I spoke with the dealership where I buy my bikes, they recommended a local frame guy who has better equipment than they do for diagnosing frame problems - free initial consult. I'm going there next Saturday. I'm convinced that whatever the problem is, it came that way from the factory - or maybe I'm the recipient of a bad bike that was dropped in the crate and sold as new and perfect . . . anything is possible. If you are not a drag racer, the bike is perfect and the problem would never be a big deal. Problem is, I like to drag race. I'll update next week once the frame is scrutinized thoroughly . . .

Ignore this member   
Kaw Man

Expert Class
posted August 05, 2012 06:18 AM        
Something change, when you brought it home from dealership did it do it. Because I would have taken it back than.
  Ignore this member    Click here to send Kaw Man an AIM message. 
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted August 05, 2012 09:58 PM        
My 2 cents..my bike pulled to the right when coasting with no hands..freeway speeds. I changed front forks because i had a spare set and wanted to change front fork oil. Doing both of those fixed the leaning problem

Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted August 06, 2012 02:29 AM        
Actually not hard to self check frame alignment
all you need is a spirit level
get the bike upright and held there and with the level against the side of the rim or tire be sure its dead square upright
then move to the front and without leaning the bike put the level on the tire or rim and get it vertical by turning the bars

now get down and look at the tires from the front, are they pointing the same direction
if there not the frame needs attention

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 14, 2012 04:36 PM        
PLEASE read to the bottom because I'm calling on all 14R owners for help.....
The bike is back to stock except for exhaust and PC-V and currently at the dealership - first ride they said the problem couldn't be reproduced. I laughed and said to try it again - different rider, road, etc. but that it should be obvious. 2nd call - I was told the issue WAS OBVIOUS and the bike should NOT be pulling like it was to the right. After two days of head scratching and coming up with nothing, they serviced another 14R and told me that it does the same thing. My response was that they have a bad batch of 14Rs. So basically, they confirm that the bike has a problem, search for hours looking for it, can't find the issue, service and ride another 14R, and then tell me that it does the same thing so that the issue is just how 14Rs ride. If this is true, then fine - I'll walk away, sell this bitch, and buy a 'busa. But I've got my share of passes going down the track - and the faster bikes were my 2006 ZX-14 and 2006 GSX-R1000. Both of those bikes had plenty of power, and neither one of them gave me fits trying to launch. So how you guys can HELP ME: Simple - next time you go for a ride on a 14R, sit up, take your hands off the bars for a few seconds and see if it pulls to the right. The angle of the road really should not matter - if I find a lone stretch of road that is slanted, I can go to the left side and it'll climb UP the slant to get back to the right side if I go no hands! Kawasaki is telling me this is normal only after trying to sell me on that they all do it - so do they???

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted September 14, 2012 04:49 PM        
what rear tire is on it?

wee

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 14, 2012 04:56 PM        
Power One - pulls right with that as well as the OEM rubber.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted September 14, 2012 05:41 PM        
maybe a bent fork, front wheel bearing shot, misbalanced tire, rear tire alignment.... my bike rides straight and smooth when i left off the grips.. i had a problem recently when i put new tires on my bike. it had a slight tank slapping going on... i had the front tire balanced 3 different times. i checked the tire myself and it was defective. i put my old tire back on and viola. shes fixed.i know bikes pull to one side under hard acceleration but just everyday street riding bikes should go straight. they are high speed machines that are designed for that reason. maybe the triple tree is crooked for some reason. maybe the handlebars are straight from the riders seat but the tire is pointed otherwise... thats just crazy.... keep us updates..

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 14, 2012 05:58 PM        
Much thanks for the input, venomous_zx

Ignore this member   
drewzx-14

Zone Head
Andrew
posted September 14, 2012 07:54 PM        
i feel your pain. I would be pissed if the brand new bike i bought wasn't riding properly. Good luck finding the issue.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit drewzx-14's homepage. 
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 14, 2012 08:09 PM        
Thanks drewzx-14

Ignore this member   
Creepy847

Parking Attendant
posted September 15, 2012 04:37 AM        
Hi Crazx14,

I tried to duplicate your issue, but my bike stay straight and true if I let the bars go. Even under massive acceleration the bike doesnt pull offline much.

Im no expert, but Ive driven enough bikes, cars, tractor trailers and shit to know when something is pulling offline.

If you live near RI let me know we can meet up and you can ride mine.

Its straight and true...

Creeps

Ignore this member   
toledoUPSguy

Expert Class
An old guy with a new toy
posted September 15, 2012 06:03 AM        
I don't have any handling problem once my tires are warm, I can let go of the bars and it runs straight and true. My issue has to be tire related. After sitting out all night in the parking lot at work when I go to leave the bike almost refuses to turn then falls into the turn. I really don't want to take it to the dealership but I'm going to have to. Also, until the tires (tire???) warms up it will not go straight if you take your hands off the bars.

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted September 15, 2012 07:24 AM        
Talking to my cousin...he had same issue on a different bike. He found the fork oil was 20cc low on one fork from the factory. Like I posted earlier..I changed my fork oil and it cured the problem on my 14.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted September 15, 2012 07:30 AM        
Toldeo, yours sounds tire related. Sounds like a flat spot in your tire. Once warmed up it rounds out.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 15, 2012 08:03 AM        
@Creeps - great to hear - the more 14Rs that I know about that aren't like mine, the better my chances of getting this resolved. Thanks for the input!

@ToledoUPSguy - good to know yours runs straight when the tires are warm so it does sound like your issue is the rubber. Mine banks right no matter what.

Guys, please keep the data coming. I really need it. Much appreciated . . .

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 15, 2012 08:05 AM        
@dcjens - Good info - thanks very much. I will call the dealership and tell them to look for this.

Ignore this member   
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted September 15, 2012 09:20 AM        
that was a good call about the fork oil dcjens....

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted September 18, 2012 02:01 PM        
No luck - Kawasaki refused to pay for the labor to check the fork oil levels. They are sticking to their guns that "new 14Rs are supposed to pull to the right". I want to vomit.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted September 18, 2012 02:13 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 18 Sep 2012 22:14
Why have you not taken it to GMD Computrack as I suggested? Imo, you are engaged in a complete circle jerk trying to fix/diagnose this problem in a half-assed way.

Shane

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2012 03:04 PM        
4th reply down from the original post on page one....

Quote:

"These guys are great at what they do.........give them a call........."

http://gmd-computrack.com/network.html

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 14R Alignment Issue NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.725707054138 seconds processing time