HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: A cure for overheating NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted August 04, 2012 03:48 AM        
I did something to my bike that dramatically lowered the running temps and improved my mileage. About a week ago I had my ECU reflashed with Ivan's Flash and up until yesterday I was running a different map (Loaded Ivan's map yesterday). Well long story short, I got slammed in traffic and in 2 hours on the way there I burnt 3/4 tank of gas, on my way back after loading his map I hit traffic also and it took 2 hours again.... Except this time my bike used 1/4 tank of gas... Definitely made a big difference!

Ignore this member   
Grim reaper1

Parking Attendant
posted August 05, 2012 12:52 PM        
Sorry I'm not trying 2 "highjack" the thread but it is titled "a cure for overheating". But like everyone else I would like 2 know what's been found 2 work on these bikes and the overheating issue. It does seem I'm not the only person with this problem. If the bigger radiator works great I wanna learn everything I can 2 make my bike run good better and it's best.
  Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted August 05, 2012 02:53 PM        
quote:
Sorry I'm not trying 2 "highjack" the thread but it is titled "a cure for overheating". But like everyone else I would like 2 know what's been found 2 work on these bikes and the overheating issue. It does seem I'm not the only person with this problem. If the bigger radiator works great I wanna learn everything I can 2 make my bike run good better and it's best.

These bikes are generally great, but once your stopped in traffic, or get stuck in "city" driving the temps soar up quickly. The 06-11 got a bit hotter quicker, the 12 has a second fan which helps shed excess heat quickly....

Ignore this member   
biggmoinc

Zone Head
posted August 05, 2012 05:02 PM        

These bikes are generally great, but once your stopped in traffic, or get stuck in "city" driving the temps soar up quickly. The 06-11 got a bit hotter quicker, the 12 has a second fan which helps shed excess heat quickly....

yeah, after they realized it needed it, the 00-1 only had 1, not sure why they didnt automatically come out with 2 on the 14 from the get go

Ignore this member   
Grim reaper1

Parking Attendant
posted August 17, 2012 02:01 PM        
So I wrote my zx14 has been overheating I put it in the shop last Saturday they just got around to looking at it today. They called to tell me it was ready when I asked what they found they told me the positive cable on my battery was loose and had corrosion on it and THAT is why the bike has been overheating. Oh yeah that and the fact the battery is not a Kawasaki battery but a gel battery from autozone. Has ANYONE EVER heard of this?
  Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted August 17, 2012 08:15 PM        
Might want to take your bike out of there quickly and never go back.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
Obba

Expert Class
posted August 17, 2012 11:20 PM        
quote:
...they found they told me the positive cable on my battery was loose and had corrosion on it and THAT is why the bike has been overheating. Oh yeah that and the fact the battery is not a Kawasaki battery but a gel battery....

That is very untrue and a load of crap!

Plenty of threads on here about over heating. From my readings on here it's allways been a double fan to fix it - for sure!

People using all sorts of 'ice' , 'super kool' etc, water radiator treatments all over the place, some have worked and some haven't.

From memory the Gen1 had the wiring place (or somehting like that), for a double fan, but only came with single fan installed.

The Gen 2's are double fan as standard. So that might be a hint

Ignore this member   
Grim reaper1

Parking Attendant
posted August 18, 2012 12:04 AM        
And that's just what I thought it's bullshit! I asked them 3 times just 2 be clear that's what they were saying I also called the service department at a much bigger shop and they said it could be possible that was the problem. I'm at the point I don't trust ANY shop with my bike anymore. I'm ordering the second fan this week I hope that will fix the issue. I will post an update as soon as I have one.
  Ignore this member   
Grim reaper1

Parking Attendant
posted August 18, 2012 11:02 AM        
So what do u know I just picked my bike up from that shop they told me the loose battery cables weren't letting the fan work right "it wasn't turning fast enough" is what they said I rode it home 60 miles got into heavy traffic temp bars went up to the H once I was off the highway sitting at a light it started flashing high temp once I was rolling again it went back to H got home and shut it off it started pouring out coolant I called the shop they were very puzzled and offered to come pick the bike up I told them no that's ok.
  Ignore this member   
Rich

Expert Class
Just havin' fun!!
posted August 18, 2012 03:18 PM        
Maybe you could let them refund your money for not fixing it.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rich's homepage. 
colt

Expert Class
if u aint first your last
posted August 18, 2012 08:13 PM        
Same as ever one else my 08 runs at 3-4 bars when is a good time to shut it down have had too the bar below h ?????-
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted August 18, 2012 09:57 PM        
Has anyone tried running without a thermostat?
I'm thinking of doing it next time I have my fairings off just to see what happens.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
colt

Expert Class
if u aint first your last
posted August 18, 2012 10:13 PM        
That's a good idea
  Ignore this member   
Obba

Expert Class
posted August 19, 2012 04:59 AM        
quote:
Has anyone tried running without a thermostat?

Thermostats are used to quickly build up the temperature inside the engine, then they open up to allow the 'hot' water to circulate and be 'averaged' by the radiator/fans etc.

The reason AFAIK, why it's important to allow the engine to get internally hot quick is due to water condensation that collects on the sleeves of the cylinders that forms on dead set cold engines - oil doesn't stick to water! Do the math...

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted August 19, 2012 10:23 AM        
Thermostats are also used for emissions reasons too. A hotter running engine will produce less emissions.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: A cure for overheating NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.29823803901672 seconds processing time