HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: A cure for overheating NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Bigbore4

Zone Head
posted July 09, 2012 07:33 AM        
A cure for overheating

Just dropped the Rad from my 12 off today, to have a 32mm core installed, vs the standard 26mm.
Using the same tanks and brackets, so it should be a drop in.
Was cheap too, about 150 bucks.
Should be a proper solution to the irritating problem of overheating in traffic and at stops.

Ignore this member   
vailes3705

Expert Class
Gettin Better
posted July 10, 2012 02:43 AM        
Let us know how it works when you get it back. I've had problem with my zx9 overheating in traffic for 12 years. And that's with two fans.
1.46 60ft

Ignore this member   
Bigbore4

Zone Head
posted July 10, 2012 05:00 AM        
You guys will be the first to get update as soon as I test it.
  Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted July 10, 2012 08:30 PM        
I lookforward to reading your results.

would that work for a zx14 also?
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
ILUVNOS

Novice Class
posted July 10, 2012 09:24 PM        
my 14 ran hot but since i pulled the old fan and brackets off and put on a 7 inch fan, it's been nice.
  Ignore this member   
Bigbore4

Zone Head
posted July 11, 2012 01:17 AM        
I suppose it depends on the company doing the work. Not sure what size core the 14 has.
There are 3 std core widths for aluminum bike radiators, 26, 32 and 44.
I'll see how this one works out and post the results.

Ignore this member   
edszx14

Expert Class
posted July 21, 2012 08:40 PM        
Any updates on the new radiator core and how is it cooling, especially in this heat.

Ignore this member   
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted July 22, 2012 05:48 AM        
quote:
my 14 ran hot but since i pulled the old fan and brackets off and put on a 7 inch fan, it's been nice.

That's a great idea! Where did you source the 7" fan from?

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted July 22, 2012 06:00 AM        Edited By: Seno on 22 Jul 2012 13:01
http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5191937&showprevnext=1
I am guessing its this one....

Ignore this member   
ILUVNOS

Novice Class
posted July 22, 2012 11:13 PM        
ya thats the one, i've since added a second 7 inch fan, engine ice and the motul additive, mo-cool. bike runs nice and cool now. if you do add the second fan, bump up the fan fuse to a 25 instead of the 15. i've got the second wired to a switch as well so i can kick it on manually if i like. they both kick on tho, it'll scorch your legs lol
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted July 23, 2012 05:31 AM        
The second fan along with the Muzzy fan blade on the stocker worked wonders for the NA14 we have. Of course, the second fan that Dave used seems to be about twice as strong as the stock fan. It's only wired to a toggle switch to turn on whenever needed.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
Bigbore4

Zone Head
posted July 23, 2012 05:51 AM        
HighJackers!!!!!
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted July 23, 2012 07:55 AM        
quote:
HighJackers!!!!!

Sorry bout dat.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
Grim reaper1

Parking Attendant
posted July 30, 2012 08:05 PM        
I have an 07 zx14 for about a month and a half or so it's been overheating. The real deal overheating spitting coolant and flashing the high temp message so yes it's the real deal. I drained all the coolant friday flushed the system filled it with engine ice changed the oil 2 mobil 1 full synthetic. Rode the bike Saturday it was spitting coolant before I got off the highway good I stopped and let it cool down only for it 2 spit more coolant got it cool enough made it home. Rode it today bought more engine ice and filled the bike yet again with this high dollar stuff rode the bike for about 20 minutes the bars was on the H on the temp gauge. It's only "ok" when I'm going 100+ mph but we all k ow we can't do that speed all day every day. Does ANYONE have a clue what may be going on? The next step is a second fan and wrapping the pipes.
  Ignore this member   
debo33

Novice Class
posted July 30, 2012 09:53 PM        
How did u go abt added the sec fan

Ignore this member    Click here to visit debo33's homepage. 
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted July 31, 2012 04:19 AM        
quote:
I have an 07 zx14 for about a month and a half or so it's been overheating. The real deal overheating spitting coolant and flashing the high temp message so yes it's the real deal. I drained all the coolant friday flushed the system filled it with engine ice changed the oil 2 mobil 1 full synthetic. Rode the bike Saturday it was spitting coolant before I got off the highway good I stopped and let it cool down only for it 2 spit more coolant got it cool enough made it home. Rode it today bought more engine ice and filled the bike yet again with this high dollar stuff rode the bike for about 20 minutes the bars was on the H on the temp gauge. It's only "ok" when I'm going 100+ mph but we all k ow we can't do that speed all day every day. Does ANYONE have a clue what may be going on? The next step is a second fan and wrapping the pipes.

Something doesn't sound right. You shouldn't have to do anything to the bike to just ride it without overheating like that. I don't know what's not working on your bike, but somethings not right for sure. I wouldn't ride it until I got the problem resolved.

Ignore this member   
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted July 31, 2012 04:42 AM        
Sounds like a bad thermostat might be partially to blame here. I'd change it out for at least peace of mind. Then I'd check the fins on the radiator itself, making sure they are all clear.

Sorry for your frustrations.

Ignore this member   
Grim reaper1

Parking Attendant
posted July 31, 2012 05:44 AM        
It did the same thing last summer the shop said it had a big bubble in the cooling system. I had them do the service on it plugs new fluids the works I didn't have anymore issues until now. Maybe I'll try changing the thermostat today.
  Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted July 31, 2012 11:35 AM        
Well, if that was the problem last time it could be the same thing again...

Ignore this member   
edszx14

Expert Class
posted July 31, 2012 02:38 PM        
I would also check the two lines going to the radiator. The two small ones that are under the radiator cap. Make sure that are connected to the correct area.

Ignore this member   
edszx14

Expert Class
posted July 31, 2012 03:28 PM        
I would also check the two lines going to the radiator. The two small ones that are under the radiator cap. Make sure that are connected to the correct area.

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted July 31, 2012 06:18 PM        
Might be a small hose in one of the radiator hoses letting air into the cooling system.
  Ignore this member   
Ozonkiller

Expert Class
posted August 03, 2012 05:17 PM        
Bad cap or head gasket.

Start with the cap. If the cap is weak, the boiling point is greatly reduced.

Mine did the exact same thing. It was the head gasket. Bike ran fine. Nothing showed up in leak down. It was just pushing a small amount of combustion gases into the water jacket, displacing the coolant. The more coolant it pushed out the worse it got.

Ignore this member   
rspauldi

Novice Class
posted August 03, 2012 11:53 PM        
big bore, how long do we have to wait for some results of your radiator fix/mod. Your thread is getting highjacked because you are leaving us hanging without simple updates . Seems like u have a great idea, so, dang it man, lets get an update
  Ignore this member   
rspauldi

Novice Class
posted August 03, 2012 11:56 PM        
big bore, how long do we have to wait for some results of your radiator fix/mod. Your thread is getting highjacked because you are leaving us hanging without simple updates . Seems like u have a great idea, so, dang it man, lets get an update
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: A cure for overheating NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.994920015335 seconds processing time