HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: E85, do i have this right?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: E85, do i have this right?? [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ]
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted June 26, 2012 08:48 PM        
E85, do i have this right??

Been doing some research and thinking about making the switch to E85, but want to make sure its as easy as it sounds. My bike isa 100% stock motor 06. From what I read all I have to do is add about 30% fuel to my map as a starting point.

It it correct that:
1. The stock fuel pump and injectors will be fine on a stock 06.
2. There is no need to crush the regulator in a stock bike.
3. Similar gains to Mr12 with a good tune.

I had more questions than that, but am drawing a blank right now.

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 26, 2012 08:53 PM        
quote:
Been doing some research and thinking about making the switch to E85, but want to make sure its as easy as it sounds. My bike isa 100% stock motor 06. From what I read all I have to do is add about 30% fuel to my map as a starting point.

It it correct that:

I don't agree with #3. You can make stupid power on a boosted application with e85 because you can keep throwing boost and timing at it and it just won't detonate. The cooling effect of the fuel also helps control the detonation. It doesn't help as much in a non boosted application. I just can't see it making as much power as MR12 in an application that doesn't need the cooling effect from the fuel or the octane of e85. I will try to run it in any boosted application though.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 26, 2012 08:58 PM        
quote:
quote:

It it correct that:

I don't agree with #3. You can make stupid power on a boosted application with e85 because you can keep throwing boost and timing at it and it just won't detonate. The cooling effect of the fuel also helps control the detonation. It doesn't help as much in a non boosted application. I just can't see it making as much power as MR12 in an application that doesn't need the cooling effect from the fuel or the octane of e85. I will try to run it in any boosted application though.

And everyone made fun of me for going e85 WAY back in the day before it was the cool thing to do lol

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 26, 2012 09:04 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

It it correct that:

And everyone made fun of me for going e85 WAY back in the day before it was the cool thing to do lol

Well, nobody's laughing now, huh???
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 26, 2012 09:10 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It it correct that:

Well, nobody's laughing now, huh???

I think I was the first to use it with boost on my turbo 06. Me and Rob sent maps back and forth back in the day he started using it and loved it. It's the way to go for a street bike. I'm doin a c16 one now tho. I don't ride on the street anymore so it will be cheaper for me with c16 and stock injectors

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted June 26, 2012 09:33 PM        
you are correct, except for the equal to Mr12, but the gains are equal to U4.4.
Your bike will run kooler and the fuel is cheaper than pump gas.

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted June 27, 2012 05:17 AM        
We switched my buddies stock motor 08 Busa over to e85 about a month ago and he picked up .15 and about 4 mph, but the fuel pump went out after 3 tnt. I've been told that that's pretty common as the e85 cleans the whole system out and it collects in the pump. he is looking for an aftermarket pump right now.
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 06:03 AM        
quote:
I've been told that that's pretty common as the e85 cleans the whole system out and it collects in the pump..

they lied to you or don't know what they talking about.. try using e85 to clean with ...it suxs as a cleaning agent

Ignore this member   
Rich

Expert Class
Just havin' fun!!
posted June 27, 2012 06:58 AM        
I've used E85 at the track for over a year. Without spray, the stock fuel pump holds up and didn't need a crushed regulator. I added a little spray and maxed it out even with a crushed regulator. I went to the Walbro with that same crused regulator and all is good.
When I first tried E85, I picked up about 3 MPH in the 1/4.
Adding about 30 is a good place to start.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rich's homepage. 
Bently

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 07:04 AM        
Copied this from an e85 site

E85 won’t destroy your fuel pump. If you convert a high mileage vehicle to E85, the E85 will cause the sediment in the gas tank to dissolve and then get sucked up by the fuel pump. It is believed that this sediment may shorten the life of the pump. It is recommended to change fuel filter in fuel tank (if your car have it) after you burn up 1 tank of E85 fuel

exactly what happen after 3 tnt nights. bike had pump gas in since 08, the e85 broke the sediment loose.

Ignore this member   
joel787

Zone Head
posted June 27, 2012 07:15 AM        Edited By: joel787 on 27 Jun 2012 14:17
Ive been thinking to switch for a while now, only bad thing ive read is that it would eat up rubber fuel lines.... Didnt 1bad had gumming in the TB's after a while?....but up to 5hp more and cheaper than any other fuel out there, totaly worth it IMO.

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 07:46 AM        
quote:

E85 won’t destroy your fuel pump. If you convert a high mileage vehicle to E85, the E85 will cause the sediment in the gas tank to dissolve and then get sucked up by the fuel pump. It is believed that this sediment may shorten the life of the pump. It is recommended to change fuel filter in fuel tank (if your car have it) after you burn up 1 tank of E85 fuel

exactly what happen after 3 tnt nights. bike had pump gas in since 08, the e85 broke the sediment loose.

i don't care what some internet site says.. reason why i blow up motors was reading shit off the internet..
WTF you call or they call sediment .. like i said try using it as a cleaning agent .. it don't work ..its like mixing water to oil ..its floats around as little balls instead of thinning .. but spill some on concrete and come back in 20 minutes and you can see all the water it pulled from the concrete.. maybe your friend had a dirty container that he put E85 in and that poured into his fuel tank .. then plug his screen(sock) up and caused the fuel pump to burn up..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 07:52 AM        
quote:
Ive been thinking to switch for a while now, only bad thing ive read is that it would eat up rubber fuel lines.... Didnt 1bad had gumming in the TB's after a while.

the only way i can see it eating up rubber is to let air hit the rubber without the fuel in it ..carb cleaner does the same thing.. it causes the rubbers to expand after it been sprayed when air then hits it.. yes it does build up a film after long time use .. just run some gas thru your system every so often and that cures it..

Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted June 27, 2012 07:55 AM        
What all precautions do I need to take when running it, storing it in the tank, storing it in a container??

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 07:59 AM        
quote:
quote:

i don't care what some internet site says.. reason why i blow up motors was reading shit off the internet..
WTF you call or they call sediment .. like i said try using it as a cleaning agent .. it don't work ..its like mixing water to oil ..its floats around as little balls instead of thinning .. but spill some on concrete and come back in 20 minutes and you can see all the water it pulled from the concrete.. maybe your friend had a dirty container that he put E85 in and that poured into his fuel tank .. then plug his screen(sock) up and caused the fuel pump t
o burn up..

nope, he bought brand new jug

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 07:59 AM        
i use old 5 gallon metal VP race fuel cans filled to the top.. but plastic fuel cans will work to.. nothing special ..get a e85 tester to test your grade of e85 $10..00 ebay ...

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 08:07 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 27 Jun 2012 15:08
quote:

nope, he bought brand new jug

maybe it was already plug up from 3 years of use and the more dense e85 couldn't flow thru it enough to cool the pump down.. theres more to this than . i put e85 in and it burn my pump up ..

every day its something differant to read on the internet .. ..

Debunking Fuel-Economy Myths
Get a reality check on 7 common fuel-saving misconceptions

By Consumer Reports Staff | Consumer Reports – Mon, Jun 25, 2012 2:27 PM EDTShare5EmailPrintRelated ContentPlay VideoVideo: Gas myths debunked
FOX News 3:07 | 888 views
Like all drivers, you want to save gas and do what’s right for your car. But along with the tried-and-true advice, there are some well-intentioned—if off-the-mark—tips that can lead you astray. Below are several common myths about fuel use and gas mileage, and the real stories behind them.

A dirty air filter drops gas mileage

Our tests show that driving with a dirty air filter no longer has an impact on fuel economy, as it did with older engines. That's because modern engines use computers to precisely control the air/fuel ratio, depending on the amount of air coming in through the filter. Reducing airflow causes the engine to automatically reduce the amount of fuel being used. Fuel economy didn't change in the family sedan we tested, but it accelerated much more slowly with a dirty filter.

[Related: 5 money-saving DIY tips for car owners]

Warming up before driving is necessary

That was true back in the days of carburetors and chokes, but it isn’t the case with modern fuel-injected, electronically controlled drivetrains. Engines are most efficient when they’re at regular operating temperature, and the fastest way to reach that point is to drive right after starting the car.

Filling up when the air is cool gets you more gas

A common tip is to buy gasoline in the morning, when the air is cool, rather than in the heat of the day. The theory is that the cooler gasoline will be denser, so you will get more for your money. But most stations store the gasoline underground, so its temperature changes very little, if at all, during a 24-hour stretch. Any extra gas you get will be negligible.

No-name gas stations offer lower-quality fuel

Independent stations usually buy their fuel from larger, name-brand oil companies, so it’s not much different from what you’d get for a higher price down the road. Off-brand gasoline is sometimes formulated without additives designed to clean the engine, but your car should run fine on that gas.

Premium gas is always best

When it comes to regular, midgrade, and premium gasoline, oil corporations have worked overtime to drill the “good, better, best” concept into our collective driver psyche.

Premium gas has a higher octane rating, usually 91 or above, making it more resistant to pre­ignition, a condition in which fuel burns uncontrollably in the engine. Higher-performing engines are the most susceptible to preignition because they tend to run hotter, which is why premium is often recommended or required for sports and luxury vehicles.

[Related: Could Gas Fall Below $3 by Autumn?]

Premium also helps maximize power in high-performance engines. With those engines, if you don't use premium, you might not get full power when, say, accelerating or climbing hills. Most drivers will probably never notice the difference.

The vast majority of cars are designed to run fine on regular. And premium won’t improve performance or fuel economy for those cars, but it will cost you about 20 cents more per gallon.

Our advice: The best gas for your car depends on the vehicle you drive. If the owner’s manual or the sticker on the fuel-filler door says that premium gas is recommended or uses similar wording, you can probably use regular. If it says premium is required, play it safe with the right octane.

Driving with windows open hurts fuel economy

Some people advise you not to run the air conditioner because it puts more of a load on the engine, which can decrease fuel economy. But others say that opening the windows at highway speeds can affect gas mileage even more by disrupting the vehicle's aerodynamics. In our tests of a Honda Accord, using air conditioning while driving at 65 mph reduced the vehicle's gas mileage by more than 3 mpg. The effect of opening the windows at 65 mph was not measurable.

Tires with low rolling resistance are always a smart choice

A lot of attention is paid to a tire’s rolling resistance, which is how much energy it takes to roll along. The lower the rolling resistance, the better your fuel economy will be. Maintaining the proper tire pressure will optimize the rolling resistance and real-world performance. Some tires gain low rolling resistance at the expense of wet-braking performance and tread life—a poor trade-off.

It’s better to look first for a tire that provides good all-around performance in important safety areas such as braking, handling, and hydroplaning resistance. Then use rolling resistance as the tiebreaker.

In our testing, we’ve found two all-season passenger-­car tires that deliver very good performance and low rolling resistance: the Continental ProContact EcoPlus+ and the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.

Ignore this member   
88mmrocket

Parking Attendant
...waiting to get home
posted June 27, 2012 08:13 AM        
whoever told you that you can't detonate with E85 was an idiot! We all run boosted V8s and I am one of the few remaining that is still running gas...C16. I can show you many-a-pistons that have been killed from detonation from people who have thinking like this. I agree that it will be ok to switch but the benefit from switching in a NA application is very minimum from that standpoint alone.

I will however agree that you can throw more timing at in a boosted application but to say it WON'T detonate is completely idiotic.

Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted June 27, 2012 08:30 AM        
A gain is all I'm looking for. Your minimal gain and my minimal gain may be 2 different things. If I can pick up 1-2 mph from this alone, I will be MORE than happy. As long as I see any difference in my timeslips I will be happy.

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 08:36 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 27 Jun 2012 15:37
quote:
whoever told you that you can't detonate with E85 was an idiot! We all run boosted V8s and I am one of the few remaining that is still running gas...C16. I can show you many-a-pistons that have been killed from detonation from people who have thinking like this. I agree that it will be ok to switch but the benefit from switching in a NA application is very minimum from that standpoint alone.

I will however agree that you can throw more timing at in a boosted application but to say it WON'T detonate is completely idiotic.

e85 is bad don't never use it cause your engine may blow -up cause you didn't tune your motor for it.. ... i really hope nobody uses it .. then it will stay cheap for me to use..

Ignore this member   
quikgix

Expert Class
posted June 27, 2012 10:20 AM        
Ive seen back to back results from e85 and mr12 at the track, e85 had custom map and brocks map with mr12. MR12 wins hands down.

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 27, 2012 10:45 AM        
quote:

Ever heard of something called "figure of speech"? No, didn't think so.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2012 11:23 AM        
quote:
Ive seen back to back results from e85 and mr12 at the track, e85 had custom map and brocks map with mr12. MR12 wins hands down.

good glad to hear it .. now everybody ..go buy a 2000.00 pipe so you can get a free brocks map and then run 160.00 per 5 gallon MR12... i'll stick to busting ass with my 2.30 a gallon e85

Ignore this member   
joel787

Zone Head
posted June 27, 2012 11:29 AM        
quote:

ignorance and miss use will definitely fuck shit up, but just cuz dumb ppl have had bad experiences doesnt mean e85 is a time bomb.

Ignore this member   
quikgix

Expert Class
posted June 27, 2012 12:24 PM        
quote:
quote:

good glad to hear it .. now everybody ..go buy a 2000.00 pipe so you can get a free brocks map and then run 160.00 per 5 gallon MR12... i'll stick to busting ass with my 2.30 a gallon e85
You're my hero buddy!

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: E85, do i have this right?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.344336032867 seconds processing time