HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Is it ok to mix engine ice and water NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 23, 2012 03:46 PM        
Is it ok to mix engine ice and water

I think I got
My
Cooling system fixed up today. I got a new hose to replace the one with the hole and installed the second fan which by the way is a bitch when the up pipe to the turbo is where the fan should be. We had to do some ghetto engineering lol. I ordered a zx10 fender and brackets should be here next week. Well I rode it for about 15 minutes and it seemed better now I'm back at the house at it has bled all the air to the top of the radiator so I need to add a little more coolant but I'm out of engine ice. Is it ok to put a little water in there to finish it up?

Ignore this member   
speedgene

Zone Head
posted June 23, 2012 04:40 PM        
Yes. Distilled only. As long as you have a lubing percentage, cutting that with distilled will not effect the wear of the pump blades any more or less.

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted June 23, 2012 04:56 PM        
I've done it also but didn't use distilled, more like garden hose. Hope that you get the heat under control. Looks like the only thing you haven't done is add more radiator.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 23, 2012 05:58 PM        
I used distilled water and mixed it 50/50. Can't say for sure it helped all that much though. The other fan from a GSXR1000 sure did though.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
Paul2281

Expert Class
posted June 23, 2012 07:17 PM        
Engine Ice is pre mixed and is supposed to be used as it is in the jug...Thats whats nice about that stuff...No mixing ect.ect...If you need more you just buy another jug or thin it out with distilled water....But you`re not supposed to have to add anything to the stuff...It has ionized water in the mix....Plus it`s good in the cold weather too,won`t freeze up....If you used it 50/50, you messed up the ratio....Use it straight from the jug....I just buy 2 of them and have extra incase I need some extra sometime....
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 24, 2012 01:56 AM        
quote:
Engine Ice is pre mixed and is supposed to be used as it is in the jug...Thats whats nice about that stuff...No mixing ect.ect...If you need more you just buy another jug or thin it out with distilled water....But you`re not supposed to have to add anything to the stuff...It has ionized water in the mix....Plus it`s good in the cold weather too,won`t freeze up....If you used it 50/50, you messed up the ratio....Use it straight from the jug....I just buy 2 of them and have extra incase I need some extra sometime....

Oops! Time to redo it.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
Paul2281

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2012 06:31 AM        
quote:
quote:

Oops! Time to redo it.

You would get better results if used right from the container,no adding....

Ignore this member   
Paul2281

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2012 11:55 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oops! Time to redo it.

You would get better results if used right from the container,no adding....

De-ionized water is what I meant....

Ignore this member   
Bueller

Novice Class
posted June 24, 2012 01:18 PM        
quote:
I used distilled water and mixed it 50/50. Can't say for sure it helped all that much though. The other fan from a GSXR1000 sure did though.

We actually took out tstat, added muzzy blade to stock fan, 08 gsxr 1k 2nd fan, wetter water concentrate with distilled water. Bike takes 45 mins to get to 3 bars at idol with fan on, and has only hits 4 bars at end of night hot lapping and in stopped traffic on Myrtle Beach strip. On this motor setup with stock pistons and cams, has zero temp issues.

Ignore this member   
Kazairl

Parking Attendant
posted June 24, 2012 01:28 PM        
Engine ice is just propylene Glycol. It works and mixes just like regular ethylene glycol. A little extra distilled water isn't going to hurt it any.
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 24, 2012 05:04 PM        
quote:
quote:

We actually took out tstat, added muzzy blade to stock fan, 08 gsxr 1k 2nd fan, wetter water concentrate with distilled water. Bike takes 45 mins to get to 3 bars at idol with fan on, and has only hits 4 bars at end of night hot lapping and in stopped traffic on Myrtle Beach strip. On this motor setup with stock pistons and cams, has zero temp issues.

I figured a whole lot of the improvement was the 2nd fan. That fan should have been used in the movie "The Wizard of Oz" to simulate the tornado approaching.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
Bueller

Novice Class
posted June 24, 2012 05:59 PM        
i know right lmao! you can feel the air through side vent 3 foot away
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Is it ok to mix engine ice and water NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.765245914459 seconds processing time