HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 secondary flies removed with Guhl's ecu flash? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 16, 2012 11:34 AM        
2012 secondary flies removed with Guhl's ecu flash?

Has anyone removed their secondary flies after riding their 2012 ZX14 with the Guhl's ecu flash mod? Is their any difference in accelleration from re-flash/flies in to re-flash/ flies out?
I'm looking for top speed and not sure if i would trip any protection mode with flies in after the re-flash mod. I'm trying to keep things simple, but I heard that taking the secondaries out makes the bike stronger in the midrange even with the re-flash.

I also suspect that the top end hp loss wih flies out occurs on the dyno because the airbox isn't pressurized enough to smooth out the air flow (no ram air pressure).

Any thoughts while I have the fairings off and able to get to the flies????

You guys are really great and I appreciate all of your help as I have received a lot of great advice from you this forum!!!!!

Greg

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 12:36 PM        
The reflash add about 3 hp from top to bottom RPMs .. Flies out and reflash works best ..

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 16, 2012 02:04 PM        
Thanks SmokinZX14,

Yeah, I watched the Brock's video on the whole bogging issue with the drag racing results after flies out. I'm more interested in the top end performance. I saw in the same information that you loose about 2-5 hp on top taking the flies out. That's why I hesitate taking the secondaries out. Wanting to run this bike at Bonneville, I suppose I won't be launching hard, but trying to squeeze as much power on top as I can. I did get my ecu e-flashed but wasn't sure if removing the secondaries would hinder me more than help for my application.
Thanks!
Greg

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 02:57 PM        
quote:
Thanks SmokinZX14,

Yeah, I watched the Brock's video on the whole bogging issue with the drag racing results after flies out. I'm more interested in the top end performance. I saw in the same information that you loose about 2-5 hp on top taking the flies out. That's why I hesitate taking the secondaries out. Wanting to run this bike at Bonneville, I suppose I won't be launching hard, but trying to squeeze as much power on top as I can. I did get my ecu e-flashed but wasn't sure if removing the secondaries would hinder me more than help for my application.
Thanks!
Greg
Greg take into account that was on a dyno with no ram air .. The little HP loss might not even show up at 200 MPH , in fact it may just make more HP with the flies out at 200 MPH .. Untill someone test it back to back at 200+ MPH we will never really know ..

Ignore this member   
new14rider

Novice Class
posted June 16, 2012 03:29 PM        
Thank You! That is what I think as well. Kawasaki has been known to have some of the best ram air designson their bikes. The airbox perssure at those speeds should completely elliminate any turbulence or weird flow issues as seen on the dyno and add up to 30 hp?? There is a lot of airbox psi at 210 mph. I will be running the Wideband 2 with LCD, so I'll be able to see what the air/fuel is doing before I make adjustments. That might tell us something. I think it's time to go to Ace hardware for a Jap #2 screwdriver and Bernzomatic!!

Thanks!!!!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 2012 secondary flies removed with Guhl\'s ecu flash? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.633592844009 seconds processing time