HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Gen1 turbo running hot NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 15, 2012 09:04 PM        
Gen1 turbo running hot

Well after getting the 10:1 pistons installed I finally got a chance to ride for about 3 hours today. havnt ridden the bike in about three months, after we got the turbo installed we had an oiling issue so back it went and I went ahead and put in some Wossener 10:1 pistons. I plan on next week bumping the boost from 6 to 8PSI but I wanted to ride it around for a few days and see how everything went. Within 20 minutes of riding it was at the last bar before the H and hung around therefor a few hours even though we stopped a few times for 20 minutes. But then as I pulled into my drive way after driving home for the first time ever on any of my 14's the HIGH TEMP starts flashing luckily I just shut it off an pulled it into the garage. I know the Gen1's run pretty warm anyway but I am not sure if I have a cooling issue or just the Turbo making the bike run hotter. It was~87 degrees so not that hot so I Imagine it will be even worse in July and August where around here in Arkansas most days are 95+ any tips? I imagine I might have to get at least some engine ice and maybe a 2nd fan. What do you guys think?

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted June 15, 2012 10:50 PM        
Most defenitly secondary fan.. Mine flashed high temp on me once before I install'd the turbo wile I was stuck in traffic, I put the extra fan in it and never did it again even after puting the turbo kit in. Mine never got to all bars showing while riding with extra fan she will run hot but should not flash high temp enless in 100 degree weather & stuck in traffic... If you are moving and its flashing high temp u have a cooling problem some where, look at your hoses.

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 15, 2012 11:11 PM        
I think it didn't get too hit till the last mile of the rude cause I was going <25 mph. How hard is the second fan to install? Also I think I am gonne get some engine ice
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted June 16, 2012 12:19 AM        
Get some water wetter, engine ice or whatever your favorite coolant additive is and add it to the coolant system. Dave removed the thermostat and installed a second fan from a GSXR1000 on our ZX14 and the engine no longer overheats. We're NA though but these things certainly helped us. The bike never flashed HI TEMP even at Myrtle Beach bike week and it certainly did its fair share of cruising stop and go on the strip.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted June 16, 2012 01:40 AM        
I never ran a front fender. And my old turbo bike was on e85. And I had problems with getting my turbo bike up to temp lol

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
Bigbore4

Zone Head
posted June 16, 2012 01:49 AM        
Removing the tstat is not the solution.
  Ignore this member   
Obba

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2012 02:55 AM        
2nd fan as the first thing to try. The gen2's are standard dual fan!

There has been various posts on fitting second fans. From memory, fitting another gen1 stock fan meant doing a little, but not major, creative work on the mounting.

Don't think any other changes needed to be made as in Wiring (besides joining to the existing loom), and current handling.

Ignore this member   
Obba

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2012 02:55 AM        
2nd fan as the first thing to try. The gen2's are standard dual fan!

There has been various posts on fitting second fans. From memory, fitting another gen1 stock fan meant doing a little, but not major, creative work on the mounting.

Don't think any other changes needed to be made as in Wiring (besides joining to the existing loom), and current handling.

Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted June 16, 2012 04:47 AM        
Was the fan cycling ??
and check there is no airlock in the coolant ,
sounds like is running hotter than it should , have not put a lot of time in on my 08 turbo but on the dyno it runs lots cooler than a turbo busa thanks to the bigger radiator

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 05:00 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 16 Jun 2012 13:01
quote:

sounds like is running hotter than it should ,

what he said..
only time mine ever flashed hot like that was with a blown head gasket.. only time i ever used a cometic gasket never had an issue OEM .. had displaced most of the water with air while riding .. but it was common on 95+ degree days to have 3 to 4 bars showing while street riding ..

Ignore this member   
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted June 16, 2012 06:03 AM        
SHNITZ racing sells the 7 inch fan i have it on my turbo ,wires into your stocker u have to change the fuse to a 20 amp and a half hour to install,

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kawpower's homepage. 
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted June 16, 2012 06:30 AM        
The 2nd fan would be a great help, but I would double check your cooling system to make sure everything is working properly. Engine Ice & water wetter work great, that's what I was running in my 07 and it made a huge difference. Once I made the switch, my bike never went above 3 bars. Another option is to hook up a wire to your fan so you can put it on in before you really need it, my 14R has it and it can idle all day with it on and not go over 192.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted June 16, 2012 06:34 AM        
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=13&TID=2188

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 16, 2012 09:14 AM        
Who sells the front fender brackets to convert to the zx10 fender? And what year zx10 fender do I need?
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 16, 2012 10:14 AM        
quote:
Who sells the front fender brackets to convert to the zx10 fender? And what year zx10 fender do I need?

i used an 06 zx10 fender and made my own brackets

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted June 16, 2012 10:32 AM        
I use this fan + ENGINE ICE.
http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5191937&showprevnext=1
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 16, 2012 10:41 AM        
I just put engine ice in and ordered the fan from schnitz. I found a fender on eBay I think, do I need the 04-05 zx10 fender? I don't really want to make my own brackets would much rather just buy some my time is worth more than I would pay for them lol
  Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 16, 2012 08:05 PM        
The engine ice maybe helped a little but it overheated again luckily it overheated as I pulled into the garage and I shut it right off. I could hear the fluid gurgling in the radiator. Someone suggested I might have an air block how would I check that?
  Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted June 16, 2012 11:16 PM        
do you have an a/f logger? Are you sure you are not running lean?
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted June 17, 2012 01:38 AM        
quote:
I think it didn't get too hit till the last mile of the rude cause I was going <25 mph. How hard is the second fan to install? Also I think I am gonne get some engine ice
I'm also running a second fan.....got the kit from HPC before Greg went under. My bike never ran hot stock, and with stock motor and turbo+second fan and system purged of all air, it still never gets hot. Make sure your system is truly air free and get a second fan. If you run it through the wiring to come on with the stock fan put a bigger fuse in......I think my fan kit switched out the stock 20amp fuse to a 30 if I remember right?

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 17, 2012 04:04 PM        
How would I make sure the radiator is purged of all air?
  Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted June 17, 2012 06:20 PM        
Run it with the cap off till the thermostat opens is a sure way
otherwise just running cap off on side stand then upright , then back on sidestend untill it stops loosing level

Ignore this member   
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted June 17, 2012 08:25 PM        
Ok I will give that a shot. Talked to the builder today admin found out that he cut the radiator down to
Make the turbo fit so that is probably what's causing the issue now I have to find a way to remedy the problem. I thinking of getting a cooler thermostat, does anyone know where I can get one? I have already
Ordered the second fan and where can I get the zx10 gender conversion brackets? Is it Bently that makes them? And what year zx10 fender?

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted June 18, 2012 02:51 AM        
I've never heard of having to cut a 14 radiator down to boost it? And I think Lyle was selling the fender brackets. I haven't seen him on in awhile tho....
  Ignore this member   
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted June 18, 2012 04:56 AM        
i didnt have to cut my rad either.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kawpower's homepage. 
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Gen1 turbo running hot NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.747902870178 seconds processing time