HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: i finally found something wrong with 16-43 gearing NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 08, 2012 09:08 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks smokin. If its near a true 180 i might stick with it. I dont worry about wheelies to much because i rarely crack it full throttle in the lower 2 gears anyway. But i have a question for you lee,i'm not doubting you just don't understand how the bike can still hit near 180 stock ecu with that much gearing??? I mean stock gearing they limit the bike to 186. Wouln't u lose more than 6-7 mph with -1+1 gearing???
Can't say , don't know because i never tried it with my zx14r ..And if i did i still could not tell you because my ECU is reflashed to 300 MPH and my limiter rasied 500 RPMs .. That is a question for guys like Shane and Ali that do the land speed racing ..
Thanks lee,yeah part of me would love to go back to stock gearing,BUT i'm afraid i'll miss the feel of -1+1 gearing. The last thing i need is to FEEL like my 14 is slower.Make sense to you??? I mean it would have to feel a lil slower just punching it around town and all. But it would also feel smoother a lil i'm sure. But thats my biggest fear that my new 14 would feel slower.
I completely understand that .. What i would say is leave the 16/43 and get the ECU reflashed ... No speed limiter and rev limiter moved up 500 RPMs should keep you out in front no problem ..
Hey lee one more question never heard anyone ask it here. Will extending the ecu 500rpm hurt the bike over time at all. I mean i would think they put the limiter in there for a reason,and people always say your bike should last for a long time if among many things you dont bang it off the limiter alot. So would going 500 rpm more than that kill the bike over time?

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted June 08, 2012 09:16 PM        
quote:
Oh and lucky the site is called gear commander. Google it,it has the 12 zx14r on their.

I'll assume that you meant gearingcommander.com

It shows very close to Brock's calculator: 185 mph @ 11K.

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted June 08, 2012 09:28 PM        
quote:
..............just don't understand how the bike can still hit near 180 stock ecu with that much gearing??? I mean stock gearing they limit the bike to 186. Wouln't u lose more than 6-7 mph with -1+1 gearing???

I don't understand your logic. Stock gearing does not limit the bike to 186 - the ECU does.

We'll use gearingcommander.com again, which says 201 mph (theoretical) - stock gearing.
That is way more than a loss of 6-7 mph due to re-gearing, more like 16 mph.

Kawasaki could gear this bike for 220 mph and speed limit it at 120.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 08, 2012 09:32 PM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 05:34
quote:
quote:
Oh and lucky the site is called gear commander. Google it,it has the 12 zx14r on their.

Yes my friend u are right. The calculator on the site is set at 10600 for the zx14r and thats why it was showing me 170's for top speed. But like i said earlier if the bike limits you to 186 stock gearing,your not getting near there with-1+1 gearing. Just not possible. If u look at the numbers on the site u lose quite a bit of speed when u gear it down that much. Hell if you look at the chart it says stock gearing at 11000 rpms is 201mph,and the lsr guys know that 200mph is not possible with stock gearing. So there goes your theory lucky on the calc, being 100% correct. It's not.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 08, 2012 09:36 PM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 05:40
quote:
quote:
..............just don't understand how the bike can still hit near 180 stock ecu with that much gearing??? I mean stock gearing they limit the bike to 186. Wouln't u lose more than 6-7 mph with -1+1 gearing???

I don't understand your logic. Stock gearing does not limit the bike to 186 - the ECU does.

We'll use gearingcommander.com again, which says 201 mph (theoretical) - stock gearing.
That is way more than a loss of 6-7 mph due to re-gearing, more like 16 mph.

Kawasaki could gear this bike for 220 mph and speed limit it at 120.

I'm sorry lucky we'l just have to disagree,maybe an lsr racer will chime in,but i'm right at proving that on the site it says STOCK gearing will hit 201mph. And it has been proven even with the limter being removed stock gearing WILL NOT HIT 201mph. And by the way i do have a stock bike,well a stock ecu so i am limited to 186,which is now lower because of my gearing.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 09, 2012 02:59 AM        
For the 14R, measure the radius of the tire to calculate circumference, set your rpm max to 10900, and subtract 3% from what the calculator tells you. Asumming your speed limiter is defeated, that should get you very close to your actual theoretical top speed capability. Notice I said theoretical. HP and aero's determine the ultimate limitation, even if you are geared for 250.

Shane

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted June 09, 2012 03:43 AM        
quote:
if my 14r was just a streetbike, I would run 17-40

wee

Taller gearing is what I've been thinking but I haven't seen/heard anyone who's actually done it. The bike has more than enough power to pull it (and strongly) and I like a longer pull through each gear and a more relaxed highway cruising feel. I'm just going up one tooth on the cs sprocket to start w/and see how that goes. I won't even do that until I have it in the shop for something else and/or the original stuff needs replacing.

Glad to hear someone else, more knowledgeable than I, is thinking the same.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 04:07 AM        
quote:
For the 14R, measure the radius of the tire to calculate circumference, set your rpm max to 10900, and subtract 3% from what the calculator tells you. Asumming your speed limiter is defeated, that should get you very close to your actual theoretical top speed capability. Notice I said theoretical. HP and aero's determine the ultimate limitation, even if you are geared for 250.

Shane
Thanks shane was waiting for u to chime in!!

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted June 09, 2012 04:17 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes my friend u are right. The calculator on the site is set at 10600 for the zx14r and thats why it was showing me 170's for top speed. But like i said earlier if the bike limits you to 186 stock gearing,your not getting near there with-1+1 gearing. Just not possible. If u look at the numbers on the site u lose quite a bit of speed when u gear it down that much. Hell if you look at the chart it says stock gearing at 11000 rpms is 201mph,and the lsr guys know that 200mph is not possible with stock gearing. So there goes your theory lucky on the calc, being 100% correct. It's not.

There is no theory, just fact.

If it is geared for 185, it will hit 185 at the rev limiter in 6th at about the same time it hits the speed limiter. We are not talking LSR where there are traps to give actual speed. On the open road, even with some tire spin, your speedometer only knows how fast the rear tire is turning and it will "hit the wall" at about 185 on the speedometer..

I said 201 with stock gearing is calculated, not a guaranteed actual speed.

I was trying to illustrate to you why you are dead wrong about it topping out at 170 with 43/16 gearing and then trying to use "gear calculator.com" to prove it.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 04:28 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is no theory, just fact.

If it is geared for 185, it will hit 185 at the rev limiter in 6th at about the same time it hits the speed limiter. We are not talking LSR where there are traps to give actual speed. On the open road, even with some tire spin, your speedometer only knows how fast the rear tire is turning and it will "hit the wall" at about 185 on the speedometer..

I said 201 with stock gearing is calculated, not a guaranteed actual speed.

I was trying to illustrate to you why you are dead wrong about it topping out at 170 with 43/16 gearing and then trying to use "gear calculator.com" to prove it.
So are you saying at redline i will be going faster than 170 with that gearing?

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted June 09, 2012 04:38 AM        
quote:
]So are you saying at redline i will be going faster than 170 with that gearing?

Yes.

You already proved that when you went back out for a "quick ride."

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 04:44 AM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 12:47
Well i hope your right i really do. But i never tested with a gps that high i know at 100mph the gps said 97.But i have a feeling its off a lil more than that high up. I don't know this to be true just a feeling. Like i said i hope your right lucky that would be great!!!! And the only real thing i learned from my late night ride is it's almost impossible for me to have the throttle pinned that fast and to watch the rpm and speedo. I really couldn't do it for long enough to see where the bike really was up top.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 09, 2012 05:02 AM        
quote:
Well i hope your right i really do. But i never tested with a gps that high i know at 100mph the gps said 97.But i have a feeling its off a lil more than that high up. I don't know this to be true just a feeling. Like i said i hope your right lucky that would be great!!!! And the only real thing i learned from my late night ride is it's almost impossible for me to have the throttle pinned that fast and to watch the rpm and speedo. I really couldn't do it for long enough to see where the bike really was up top.

Looks like your speedo is off by 3%. So at 200 you should be at 194. Late at night If your doing that fast, you have plenty of time to look. It doesn't matter if a dog, deer, or possum runs out in front of you. It's not like your going to be able to stop.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 05:08 AM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 13:09
quote:
quote:

Looks like your speedo is off by 3%. So at 200 you should be at 194. Late at night If your doing that fast, you have plenty of time to look. It doesn't matter if a dog, deer, or possum runs out in front of you. It's not like your going to be able to stop.
I hear you. i was uncomfortable going that quick late at night trust me,i was on an open highway,and to be honest what scared me the most was not knowing if a cop was right in front of me or behind me,can't tell at night. Won't be doing that again.

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 09, 2012 05:15 AM        
quote:
Won't be doing that again.

bullshitt ..you squids are all alike ..

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 09, 2012 05:20 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

I hear you. i was uncomfortable going that quick late at night trust me,i was on an open highway,and to be honest what scared me the most was not knowing if a cop was right in front of me or behind me,can't tell at night. Won't be doing that again.

Really Gixxerjohn, how old are you? If you are more concerned about a cop rather than a car/truck/animal/ ANYTHING bigger than a mouse running out in front of you, you got a problem.
1bad did a good job explaining it. Squids will be squids

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 05:29 AM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 13:30
Sorry u feel that way,truthfully i never drive like that but i wanted to check my top speed. I'm sure both u guys never did that before. And this eklipse is what we are trying to get past,you know bickering back and forth like were 10!!!

Ignore this member   
mick46

Expert Class
posted June 09, 2012 05:52 AM        

I'm sorry lucky we'l just have to disagree,maybe an lsr racer will chime in,but i'm right at proving that on the site it says STOCK gearing will hit 201mph. And it has been proven even with the limter being removed stock gearing WILL NOT HIT 201mph. And by the way i do have a stock bike,well a stock ecu so i am limited to 186,which is now lower because of my gearing.

Stock geared the ZZR1400 was timed at 203 ish (can't remember the exact figure) as posted on this very forum by a LSR from the UK (Ken12R) admittedly with the aid of a tail wind, but no capital letters required it has been proven that yes over 200 is possible on stock gearing.

So no having to disagree and no apology needed, just plain incorrect !

And the stock 186mph restriction is based on wheel speed so is not affected by gearing changes on the 2012 model motorcycle. (unless of course you lower the gearing to such an extent that you are no longer able to achieve that figure!)

Brocks CT Meg, PCV & QuickShifter, Brembo M4 Monoblocs, Grimeca 320mm discs, Nitron Race shock, Gilles rearsets , adjusters and TCA axle nut, Supersprox 42T, DID nickel plate X-ring, HEL brake lines, bar risers, shorty levers, tail tidy, Zero Gravity screen, RandG spools and bar ends, GPR V4 damper.... Done !
1999 Hayabusa , stretched lowered and a 60 shot !

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted June 09, 2012 06:00 AM        
gixxerjohn be careful out there on public road at nite going 170 miles.. think of consequences.. you are old enough to realize that... i am pretty sure you want to stay alive to enjoy that zx14r..

Ignore this member   
kaw-rick

Pro
posted June 09, 2012 06:13 AM        
next you need to check your braking. wait till toninght, run it up to 170ish then grab a handful of front brake.

ill be waiting for results.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 06:14 AM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 14:18
quote:
gixxerjohn be careful out there on public road at nite going 170 miles.. think of consequences.. you are old enough to realize that... i am pretty sure you want to stay alive to enjoy that zx14r..
Oh i know trust me,but stop with i'm the only one that has done this. If anyone of you has ever ever gone even over 100mph on a public road well...........don't throw stones at a glass house speech for you my friend. At least the 3-6 seconds out of 3000 miles of going fast was done at night with no traffic and like i said 3-6 sec. of driving like an ass to see what my bike can do is fine with me. But i hear you shawnski and thank you for your concern.

Ignore this member   
GixxerJohn

Zone Head
2012 zx14R SE
posted June 09, 2012 06:15 AM        Edited By: GixxerJohn on 9 Jun 2012 14:16
quote:
next you need to check your braking. wait till toninght, run it up to 170ish then grab a handful of front brake.

ill be waiting for results.
Wow i must attract the trolls!!!!!! Nothing but stupid half wit comments!!!

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted June 09, 2012 07:15 AM        
quote:
quote:
Oh i know trust me,but stop with i'm the only one that has done this. If anyone of you has ever ever gone even over 100mph on a public road well...........don't throw stones at a glass house speech for you my friend. At least the 3-6 seconds out of 3000 miles of going fast was done at night with no traffic and like i said 3-6 sec. of driving like an ass to see what my bike can do is fine with me. But i hear you shawnski and thank you for your concern.

most public HIGH speed accidents happens at nite.. figure why?
drunks, animals, darkness, visibility, list goes on and on...

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 09, 2012 07:52 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

most public HIGH speed accidents happens at nite.. figure why?
drunks, animals, darkness, visibility, list goes on and on...

That's when he races.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 09, 2012 11:59 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks smokin. If its near a true 180 i might stick with it. I dont worry about wheelies to much because i rarely crack it full throttle in the lower 2 gears anyway. But i have a question for you lee,i'm not doubting you just don't understand how the bike can still hit near 180 stock ecu with that much gearing??? I mean stock gearing they limit the bike to 186. Wouln't u lose more than 6-7 mph with -1+1 gearing???
Can't say , don't know because i never tried it with my zx14r ..And if i did i still could not tell you because my ECU is reflashed to 300 MPH and my limiter rasied 500 RPMs .. That is a question for guys like Shane and Ali that do the land speed racing ..
Thanks lee,yeah part of me would love to go back to stock gearing,BUT i'm afraid i'll miss the feel of -1+1 gearing. The last thing i need is to FEEL like my 14 is slower.Make sense to you??? I mean it would have to feel a lil slower just punching it around town and all. But it would also feel smoother a lil i'm sure. But thats my biggest fear that my new 14 would feel slower.
I completely understand that .. What i would say is leave the 16/43 and get the ECU reflashed ... No speed limiter and rev limiter moved up 500 RPMs should keep you out in front no problem ..
Hey lee one more question never heard anyone ask it here. Will extending the ecu 500rpm hurt the bike over time at all. I mean i would think they put the limiter in there for a reason,and people always say your bike should last for a long time if among many things you dont bang it off the limiter alot. So would going 500 rpm more than that kill the bike over time?
Well sure if you beat it harder it's not going to last as long .. So me shifting at 11200 Vs 11000 my bike might last 40,000 miles and not 50,000 miles .. Then again i might not ever hurt a single thing shifting at 11200 Vs 11000.. Keep in mind i'm not using the hole 500 RPMs the reflash gave me , I'm leaving about 300 RPMs on the table by shifting at 11200 .. Don had told me ( Guhl motors ) the factory hard limiter was coded at 11000 RPMs , so i'm omly 200 RPM over what kawi has set in the ECU ..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: i finally found something wrong with 16-43 gearing NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.28525400161743 seconds processing time