HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: First time drag racing. Burn Out? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
pwshadow

Novice Class
posted June 08, 2012 08:22 AM        
First time drag racing. Burn Out?

Hey this is a noob question, but I am going to be hitting the strip in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if it is necessary to burn out before my run. A buddy of my rides a vtr1000 and said he doesn't burn out and that there is plenty of grip on the track so it is not necessary for a stock bike. What are your opinions? I dont want to burn through tires if i dont need to.

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 08, 2012 09:01 AM        
its best to clean the tire off before a run if not for you then for others .... so a little burn-out is necessary

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted June 08, 2012 09:14 AM        
quote:
its best to clean the tire off before a run if not for you then for others .... so a little burn-out is necessary

Well put, 1Bad

Ignore this member   
DocsNinja

Novice Class
Backs and Bikes is what I do..
posted June 08, 2012 10:27 AM        
Ditto

Ignore this member    Click here to visit DocsNinja's homepage. 
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted June 08, 2012 12:38 PM        
agree with the above, just a small burn out to clean the dirt off and not track it to the starting line.

wee

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted June 08, 2012 02:05 PM        
Stock wheelbase on a good track you can get by with no burnout but why chance throwing a run away. as stated above just keep it short and tire life won't be affected much.
  Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 08, 2012 05:55 PM        
just clean the tire off. If its your first time, you shouldn't spin.

Ignore this member   
pwshadow

Novice Class
posted June 08, 2012 08:08 PM        
I am comfortable with burning out on a dirtbike. Is it similar on a street bike? Hold the front brake and ease on the throttle while easing off the clutch?
  Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted June 08, 2012 11:52 PM        
quote:
I am comfortable with burning out on a dirtbike. Is it similar on a street bike? Hold the front brake and ease on the throttle while easing off the clutch?

Yes same as dirt bike, if I were you I would practice in a parking lot or somewhere off the road first because when u get to the track and go for your burn out u might get nervous and do something wrong, you will be on the spot light and have a lot of people looking at u... I would practice if you are not familiar with it on your street bike.

Ignore this member   
BLK ICE

Pro
we'll leave the light on for u
posted June 09, 2012 02:45 AM        
quote:
Yes same as dirt bike, if I were you I would practice in a parking lot or somewhere off the road first because when u get to the track and go for your burn out u might get nervous and do something wrong, you will be on the spot light and have a lot of people looking at u... I would practice if you are not familiar with it on your street bike.

I 2nd this statement.
Repersenting: BLACK ICE PERFORMANCE and NO QUARTER MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous and Tires Sponsored by: Custom Specialties Cycles
Dyno Tuned by: Garron of ADAMS PERFORMANCE. http://www.adamsperformance.net/
BlackIce Performance: Honor, Freedom, Love of Country!
(I am open to Sponsorship and Product Testing and Review. Contact BlackIce Performance at blackice_performance@yahoo.com) or BlackIce Perf on Facebook

Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted June 09, 2012 05:38 AM        
quote:
quote:

I 2nd this statement.

I 3rd this statement!!

Plus, The easiest place to practice is on smooth concrete like your garage. Or you can go out to an open empty parking lot. Just watch out for Johnny Law.. They would love to find you and harass you if they catch you smoking it up...

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted June 10, 2012 05:38 AM        
Just go around the water and stage. I haven't done a burnout yet on my bike in my first 20 passes.
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 10, 2012 05:46 AM        
quote:
Just go around the water and stage. I haven't done a burnout yet on my bike in my first 20 passes.

whats that old saying...learn how to do someting right ..or don't do it at all

Ignore this member   
mma-tv

Expert Class
posted June 10, 2012 09:36 AM        
True dat, but I'm amazed at the number of racers who screw up the burnout procedure. Lots of people actually do the burnout in the water box and you can see water dripping down onto the tire while they're staging.

Just spin the tire a little in the water box, roll out, THEN do the burnout!

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 10, 2012 09:40 AM        
quote:
True dat, but I'm amazed at the number of racers who screw up the burnout procedure. Lots of people actually do the burnout in the water box and you can see water dripping down onto the tire while they're staging.

You wantto be careful spinning the tire in the water, because if your not careful, you will spin water all over the undertail

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 10, 2012 10:24 AM        
quote:

You might not NEED to do a burnout, but you get trash at the starting line when you don't.

Ignore this member   
Beondwacko

Expert Class
posted June 10, 2012 10:43 AM        
Just a little bit of advise if you haven't made it to the track yet,,,, stay in the groove and start slow until you really get used to the bike.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 10, 2012 10:50 AM        
Brief burnout is a good measure. Wet the tire...pull 6 feet forward of the water box...then try 3 sec middle, 1 sec on each side.

Have fun!

Shane

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted June 10, 2012 11:10 AM        
quote:

and they don't roll forward on the burn out . thus.leaving the mound in front of the tire to be pick-up again ..

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted June 10, 2012 11:13 AM        Edited By: entropy on 10 Jun 2012 18:28
IMO being able to confidently perform a solid controlled burnout should be a test for anyone running under 10sec.
I've seen too many new "racers" go down the track where they were not in full control of the bike.
Doing a good burnout is no guarantee of skill level, but it is an indication.

Ignore this member   
pwshadow

Novice Class
posted June 10, 2012 01:31 PM        
Just did one in my garage. Pretty easy. So you just roll right through the water. You would think it would be dangerous to have water on the front tire.
  Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted June 10, 2012 01:58 PM        
No, roll around the water.

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
CraigChrist

Pro
BAWLS
posted June 10, 2012 02:10 PM        
With a street tire I don't even use the water box. With a slick I roll around it and then back the tire into it and pull forward.

Ignore this member   
Quarter Pounder

Pro
with Cheese
posted June 10, 2012 03:16 PM        
all you need is a one or two revolutions of the tire to clean off...no need to let it sit there and smoke. Just not necessary.
1.53 60'

Ignore this member   
pwshadow

Novice Class
posted June 10, 2012 03:44 PM        
Awesome thanks for the advice! The bike is stock with slipons and I'm in Denver so there is a loss of power due to altitude. What rpm should i be leaving at. The bike is an 08 btw
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: First time drag racing. Burn Out? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.735683917999 seconds processing time