HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: BST wheel comes apart NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted June 03, 2012 09:30 AM        
BST wheel comes apart

So what do you guys think of Jeremy Teasley going down this weekend? Dragbike live said the rear rim came apart.

Who's ready for some bst wheels??

Ignore this member   
mathews

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2012 09:40 AM        
They replaced the front wheel Friday because it was cracked
  Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2012 10:12 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 3 Jun 2012 18:16
I wouldn't trust those wheels....I don't own a set...natch...but somehow the idea that carbon fiber can withstand the serious torques and such on a regular basis...even though they've been 'tested'...IDK.I wouldn't have em on a street bike like the 14R.Not if a guys gonna do some serious regular street riding with all the holes and stuff in the roads.One crack....that's pretty much all it really needs to get a break started.And tire changes...yeesh...EASY to cause a hairline crack...and never really notice it...until.

There are guys however that run em all the time...with ZERO problems...so...who knows?Just seem too 'vulnerable' to me.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2012 10:20 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 3 Jun 2012 18:20
A 600 hp Pro Street bike running 1.1x 60 foot times is a very different animal from anything most of us will ever encounter. At those levels, rods get stuck through blocks, heads get lifted, etc,etc,etc...we are talking extreme racing conditions, where any component can fail at any time.

Shane

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2012 10:27 AM        Edited By: blue07 on 3 Jun 2012 18:29
Agree...totally.

"where any component can fail at any time"...yup...exactly..

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted June 03, 2012 01:05 PM        
I like the idea of saving weight but don't trust the wheels either. Yes there are many that run them all the time, but being located in NY with many fucked up roads.... I personally do not want to tempt fate.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2012 05:07 PM        
Gee guys Bill went over 300 on those wheels .. One would think if there was a problem Bill would have found it at 300 MPH .. Shane's wife just went over 200 on a set ... Most LSR races ( the fast ones ) use them .. The fastest drag racers use them also .. I do feel you need to take extra care when replacing tires on them but i see no other reason not to use them .. But like any other part on your bike you should keep any eye out for any problems before they become a problem ..

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted June 03, 2012 05:17 PM        
quote:
A 600 hp Pro Street bike running 1.1x 60 foot times is a very different animal from anything most of us will ever encounter. At those levels, rods get stuck through blocks, heads get lifted, etc,etc,etc...we are talking extreme racing conditions, where any component can fail at any time.

Shane

BSTs are strong enough for every streetbike condition except for PSB!!!...I have no idea why they still run them ever since the 1st PSB broke it a couple years ago...They have too much to lose!!!

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2012 05:19 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 4 Jun 2012 01:22
I don't see where it said the wheel came apart causing the crash .. That bike has crashed a few times with different riders .. Little Vic crashed it when the body work came apart and tossed him off ..The story said he lost it and could not get it to come back and tossed him off .. Sounds like he lost Grip and got lose and could not recover .. So did the wheel come apart and toss him or did he lose it because of wheel spin and then busted the wheel from the crash ? Kind of what came first the chicken or the egg ..

We need more info ..

Story from drag bike live ..

Jeremy Teasley riding the Kenny Edwards No Joke Racing Pro Street Turbocharged Hayabusa unsuccessfully recovered his Suzuki Hayabusa after complications occurred during his attempt to qualifying for the field and while trying to break into the six second zone during the first session of qualifying at the FBG Summer Showdown being contested at Maryland International Raceway.

Teasley tried to correct but was thrown and rolled pretty hard down the track surface.

Details are coming and developing.

First and foremost Teasley was able to walk away, so it appears he is alright.

This article will be updated as details come are known.

UPDATE:

Teasley is okay so good in fact he was able to qualify for Real Street in the second session looking real good and still in form. Reports indicate that the rear rim came apart.

The team put the bike back together and actually qualified in the pro Street class with a7.26 and sit at the #6 position with a 7.269et@190.32 mph….. heading into eliminations Sunday.

Ignore this member   
codyc_13

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2012 05:26 PM        
There is a video on Ryan Schnitz facebook page, rear wheel clearly came apart..

Here is a quote from Teasleys brothers facebook

"Welp I was watching my bro do 1 qualifing on no joke and when he shifted 2nd the bst wheel exploded he went down at the 8th mile thank god he's up and walking my legs r so tired I ran the track to get him lol"

http://www.psychobike.com/forums/staging-lanes/103906-teasley-joke.html

8.97 at 149mph

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2012 07:57 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 4 Jun 2012 04:03
quote:
There is a video on Ryan Schnitz facebook page, rear wheel clearly came apart..

Here is a quote from Teasleys brothers facebook

"Welp I was watching my bro do 1 qualifing on no joke and when he shifted 2nd the bst wheel exploded he went down at the 8th mile thank god he's up and walking my legs r so tired I ran the track to get him lol"

http://www.psychobike.com/forums/staging-lanes/103906-teasley-joke.html

Thanks for the info .. Makes you say ... WTF doesn't it ....
I'm glad JT came out of it ok ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 03, 2012 08:01 PM        
quote:
quote:

Shane

BSTs are strong enough for every streetbike condition except for PSB!!!...I have no idea why they still run them ever since the 1st PSB broke it a couple years ago...They have too much to lose!!!

Rick you think they would be fine or anything but a pro street bike ? Would you place a HP limit on using them ?

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted June 03, 2012 09:46 PM        
It seems to me...a very freak thing...it disintegrating like that.It would be VERY easy for a possibly 'untrained' eye to find a small hairline crack,say,from tire installing.Even a dent...a small one...it would be hard for a guy to say to himself.."This COULD be the end of this rim...do I want to trash it....considering how much it was?"...I'd be hard pressed to ditch a wheel for a tiny gouge or 'dent' in the surface layers..but....it is carbon fiber.It's not the same as a helmet...
  Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted June 04, 2012 05:58 AM        
I saw it, and the wheel came apart, I saw a piece fly up and thought that the tire had came apart.. He held it for a long time before he went down. The hub was still attached and the chain was tight and the tire was still on the rim holding air. They said that the rim had a lot of passes on it and that bike made 690 hp. I talked to another guy on a GSXR 1000 that had the hub sheered off of a set of BSTs and he is still running them. The only thing I could see them doing is making an R version like the stronger front rim, but then you are adding more weight and at that point is it really worth running $5000 dollars worth of wheels when a Marvic isn't much if any heavier?

I will say this, Jeremy is a trooper, he was right back up on his Real Street bike and made the last qualifying pass on the No Joke Pro Street bike. He also made several passes in just about every other class (Pro ET, Street ET, Crazy 8s and 5.60) with the exception of Pro Mod.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 04, 2012 03:30 PM        
I ran carbon fiber drive shafts in my race cars .. Got the idea from the Pro stock and pro mod guys .. Seems funny that a drive shaft made of carbon fiber can handle 2000 HP and a bike wheel can't ..carbon fiber drive shafts are really cool, they twist up like a rubber band and let go a ton of power ..They also take all the hit out of the trans and rear end , the gears end up lasting a lot longer because the drive shaft soaks up the shock and vibratios .. But if you bust a drive staft you don't end up on the gound like you would busting a wheel on a bike ..
My guess is the wheel has a cycle life .. 2500 cycles and change them out ? or is it 6500 cycles ? Every engine part has a cycle life , why would it be different for a wheel .. So what is the life of a carbon fiber wheel ? I guess you have to ask yourself " Do you feel lucky punk "

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted June 04, 2012 04:21 PM        
The only thing I can figure Lee, is that the drive Shaft is one piece cylinder...The rim has various size, shapes, lengths & thicknesses...

All I know is if I had a PSB I would be using aluminum rims...525-600hp can definitely get you the same low ETs & MPH as carbon fiber rims!!!

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
venomous_zx

Expert Class
2012 14r - low and long-
posted June 04, 2012 04:48 PM        
Crazy sh!t. Maybe the heat from expansion was too much and instead of blowing tire out it found the next weak thing, the rim. When you got pressure it will find a way out

Ignore this member   
madkawboy

Expert Class
posted June 04, 2012 05:46 PM        
Wonder how many thousands of passes on a PSB have been made on BST's and never had a problem. Its like any other part on a bike, it can fail. My bike will never be going that fast so I'm not worried about my BST's. I love them.
1.50 60ft

Ignore this member   
BobK

Expert Class
2012 ZX14R SE
posted June 04, 2012 05:51 PM        
I just read that the new Mustang with 650hp uses a carbon fiber drive shaft.
  Ignore this member   
Bueller

Novice Class
posted June 04, 2012 07:14 PM        
they also make the driveshafts custom per HP applications, and is a solid wound piece. But like the others have said, they are good wheels but need special care. Probably should have a design per HP rating (meaning more weight for more power ), recommended replacement schedule or courtesy inspection with their machines. I just find it odd that you can get a suggested HP range on a $100-200 chain but not a 5k wheel? (or do they?)
  Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted June 04, 2012 09:35 PM        Edited By: Bad in Black on 5 Jun 2012 05:36
I wouldn't trust a shop to put a tire on a carbon fiber rim. I've never been to any shop that I'd trust enough for that.
Most shop monkeys do their best to destroy the stock rims, imagine them mounting a tire on a cf rim???

Ignore this member   
quikgix

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2012 05:30 AM        Edited By: quikgix on 5 Jun 2012 13:31
Photobucket here's the wheel from No Joke

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted June 05, 2012 07:00 PM        
Where is Brock on this subject

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted June 05, 2012 07:14 PM        
quote:
Where is Brock on this subject
Where are you ? You going to have that new zx14r at the next Runday Sunday ? I'm ready for some heads up racing ...

Ignore this member   
blue07

Expert Class
posted June 06, 2012 10:05 AM        
"It would be VERY easy for a possibly 'untrained' eye to find a small hairline crack"...I meant to say...very hard..not the other way around.,
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: BST wheel comes apart NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2232940196991 seconds processing time