HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: New best 60' with tuning issues. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 28, 2012 04:21 PM        
If Johnnycheese builds me a map for MR9 then i would run MR9 .. Your P/C can hold two maps ... Have Johnnycheese make one map for the MR12 and the other for MR9 .. That way you can switch back and forth for what every fuel you have on hand .. MR9 and MR12 are completely different and need different mapping .. MR9 map will work very good with pump gas also .. I went 8.76 on the MR9 map with 87 pump gas ... The MR12 mapping will NOT work with pump gas so don't even go there ..

Ignore this member   
JZX

Zone Head
posted May 28, 2012 04:34 PM        
I ran it with and without the map we built at the track- small difgerence if any pass after pass. 123 is about what a gen 1 runs with every bolt on out there- stock motor, but with a 60' like that, I would expect to see more 8th mile mph.

quote:
quote:
I ran MR12 at two different tracks 1 week apart in two different DA's. My mph was off by 2 and the ET's were the same.

To go from 131 mph in the 8th mile down to 123 is a huge difference.

Not sure the lack of tune could do that- nor would 25 hp.

I would look at the DA and the mph clocks at the two tracks respectively.

Question: was your bike tuned for MR12? If not, what fuel was it tuned for? I actually suspect that we'd have been better off running the pump gas map with the MR12 as it's really rich compared to the MR9 map.

I use the same site to calculate the DA every time. I have to assume it's accurate. I could calculate it myself from the temp, baro and humidity but I'm old and lazy and just let an online DA calculator do it for me.

I thought about the MPH clocks as well but when another bike was beside Dave ith the same mods we have and just ran away and hid from him from the 330' on, that let's me know for sure we were way down on power that day. If we had run 131, or even 130 that day, it would have been an entirely different race. 123 with Dave is less than stock performance I believe. The bike didn't break up until 2nd gear and got progressively worse towards the end. This explains, to me anyhow, why the bike didn't ET all that far off like the slow MPH would suggest as it made time/distance the first 330' but just faltered badly out the end. The race with the other 14 bore this theory out as well.

Best 1/8 mile 5.68@126.4 on a 1.41 60'
Best 1/4 mile 8.87@152.7 on a 1.47 60'

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 28, 2012 05:10 PM        
quote:
I ran it with and without the map we built at the track- small difgerence if any pass after pass. 123 is about what a gen 1 runs with every bolt on out there- stock motor, but with a 60' like that, I would expect to see more 8th mile mph.

We have been running fairly consistently 131+ with the MR9 (and pump gas too BTW). Is that a little more in line with what you'd expect? In looking around at what others are trapping, I thought it was pretty good. The bike was breaking up past the 330' and the further down track it went, the worse it broke up. More load on the motor seemed to make things worse. I just simply ran out of MR9 and since it's not been made since last September I believe, it's getting harder and harder to find. MR12 was available and, even though I was told it wouldn't work right without richening up the mixture 5%, I mixed some in with the MR9. It worked OK mixed. This time was straight MR12 and it did not work. I'm sure that's why the MPH took a dump even though it launched really strong. I'm going back for a retune. I knew I had to. I just wanted to post up here about how Dave is doing with his 60's. Even though the bike wasn't 100% he still managed a new personal best and seems to be in line with some of the better 60's on stock clutches. That's all I was trying to get across.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 28, 2012 05:17 PM        Edited By: smokinstorm on 29 May 2012 00:19
quote:
If Johnnycheese builds me a map for MR9 then i would run MR9 .. Your P/C can hold two maps ... Have Johnnycheese make one map for the MR12 and the other for MR9 .. That way you can switch back and forth for what every fuel you have on hand .. MR9 and MR12 are completely different and need different mapping .. MR9 map will work very good with pump gas also .. I went 8.76 on the MR9 map with 87 pump gas ... The MR12 mapping will NOT work with pump gas so don't even go there ..

Thanks Lee. I feared this was the case. Cecil @ HTP already told me the bad news but I was at the track, running good at test n'tune and wanted to keep playing. It bit me. I'm going to get an MR12 map and a pump gas map or run the MR9 map with pump gas if my tuner says that map is superior for pump gas. Also, Cecil told me I could run pump gas on the MR9 tune and, as a matter of fact, we've trapped 131.27 like that. Not the best launch (1.4x) and, if memory serves, the ET was 5.61 on that particular pass. Still, the MPH showed the engine was making good power. 675 raceweight in good DA for (-500) all to compare against.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
Bueller

Novice Class
posted May 28, 2012 06:55 PM        Edited By: Bueller on 29 May 2012 02:01
As the guy riding the bike and picking up the tickets I will say this. On pump gas map with pump gas I have run 131, on mr9 map with mr9 ran all day 131, with mr12 on mr9 map ran all day 131. That day and track he is speaking of I watched a bike bounce around and go off the end of the track in flames. I had to knee-drag the turn around with a 124mph, so I sure as hell werent gonna do a 131. I chopped throttle and hard brakes 20-30 feet before line everytime after the flameball incident. I only went for 60s after that, and could have gave a ratz azz about mph. I will do what I feel comfortable with on the track of the day and no more. If I feel the need to shoot my ass off the end of the track to impress anyone, I will post the live link in advance just so someone can critique it.

The only thing here, and IDC if its out there is that I have been doing 1.31-1.36 60s and happened to get 1.29,1.30,1.31 on that day with a full weight, all stock motor "except" head work (with no gas), with a full all human hand clutch. My whole personal goal is to consistant 1.20s 60s on that combo just to prove to myself that I dont need any help from any devices to do it. What happens after that 60 just comes with the prize.

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 28, 2012 07:02 PM        
Forgot to add that this bike was driven to the track. Not hauled in a trailer.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
Bueller

Novice Class
posted May 28, 2012 07:19 PM        
For 3 hours at 5mph in stopped traffic with my wife on the back, and never went over 4 bars.
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 28, 2012 07:30 PM        
quote:
As the guy riding the bike and picking up the tickets I will say this. On pump gas map with pump gas I have run 131, on mr9 map with mr9 ran all day 131, with mr12 on mr9 map ran all day 131. That day and track he is speaking of I watched a bike bounce around and go off the end of the track in flames. I had to knee-drag the turn around with a 124mph, so I sure as hell werent gonna do a 131. I chopped throttle and hard brakes 20-30 feet before line everytime after the flameball incident. I only went for 60s after that, and could have gave a ratz azz about mph. I will do what I feel comfortable with on the track of the day and no more. If I feel the need to shoot my ass off the end of the track to impress anyone, I will post the live link in advance just so someone can critique it.

The only thing here, and IDC if its out there is that I have been doing 1.31-1.36 60s and happened to get 1.29,1.30,1.31 on that day with a full weight, all stock motor "except" head work (with no gas), with a full all human hand clutch. My whole personal goal is to consistant 1.20s 60s on that combo just to prove to myself that I dont need any help from any devices to do it. What happens after that 60 just comes with the prize.

Just keep doing what you're doing Dave. I still can't believe you pulled a 1.29 60' with the setup on the bike now. Remember a month or so ago the "list" we made in order for you to be able to run 60's like that? Then we bought another bike with the money that was going to purchase that "list". No mods since then except the 43 tooth rear sprocket from the 45. Like I said, I don't know what you did to pull 60's like that but keep doing it. Maybe you should ride the 14 to the local track next time with April on the back????? And keep stopping every 100 yards and let the bike idle for 3 minutes??? I know what it was. Ricky Gadson was in your pit area all day talking with you about Toyota trucks and you secretly tried to show off your stuff so he'd talk about motorcycles. Think about it.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
JZX

Zone Head
posted May 28, 2012 09:59 PM        
That's killer short times for sure- I plan on making mine long enuff to get better 60's.

131 mph is flying with just headwork. I think madness has had some 130+ mph 8th miles as well. If the shut down is that bad, I'm sure that's a huge part of the reason, now that I read it.

Mr12 works- from what most have experienced, it just didn't work well on mine.

Nice work with the 60's , gen 1's still move just fine.

Whoever did your headwork kicked ass.

Oh yeah- how long is the bike?

Best 1/8 mile 5.68@126.4 on a 1.41 60'
Best 1/4 mile 8.87@152.7 on a 1.47 60'

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 28, 2012 10:16 PM        
quote:
That's killer short times for sure- I plan on making mine long enuff to get better 60's.

131 mph is flying with just headwork. I think madness has had some 130+ mph 8th miles as well. If the shut down is that bad, I'm sure that's a huge part of the reason, now that I read it.

Mr12 works- from what most have experienced, it just didn't work well on mine.

Nice work with the 60's , gen 1's still move just fine.

Whoever did your headwork kicked ass.

Oh yeah- how long is the bike?[/quote

It's 71" now but we're going to start pulling the tire in a little at a time as we just don't think Dave needs it to be this long at his weight. When the 60's and 330's start to go away we'll stop and go back the other way.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
00Busa

Expert Class
Trying to go FASTER !
posted May 29, 2012 02:53 PM        
I ran my '06 14 at North Myrtle Sat too using MR12, both ET and MPH were pretty much normal ( high 5.60-low 5.70, 122-123 mph ). The track was very bumpy tho, I packed up after the guy came off and his bike caught fire !

Ignore this member   
00Busa

Expert Class
Trying to go FASTER !
posted May 29, 2012 02:54 PM        
I ran my '06 14 at North Myrtle Sat too using MR12, both ET and MPH were pretty much normal ( high 5.60-low 5.70, 122-123 mph ). The track was very bumpy tho, I packed up after the guy came off and his bike caught fire !

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 29, 2012 04:47 PM        
quote:

You were previously tuned for MR12 I take it???? I think watching the guy come off the bike and have it burn up kinda got to Dave. Apparently it got to you too, huh?
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: New best 60\' with tuning issues. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.739646911621 seconds processing time