HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Think I cut my oil pick-up too short for chopped pan NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 04:39 AM        
Think I cut my oil pick-up too short for chopped pan

Well guys I finally decided to put on my chopped pan for my turbo 14 while I had it apart for some other things. I cut the amount the pan maker recommended off the oil pick-up.......and now my pick-up tube is 3/4's of an inch from the bottom of the pan. Is that too much or not? Its still plenty deep into the pan and looks like it would be fine?, but it makes me nervous, I wish it was lower. Should I order another pick-up and chop again? Or run this one? Thanks for any suggestions

Ignore this member   
kawasakijockey

Pro
posted May 20, 2012 07:00 AM        Edited By: kawasakijockey on 20 May 2012 15:35
I think the stub on the bottom of the pan that spaces up the pickup tube is only about a 1/4 inch tall. 3/4 inch is too high. You might risk ingesting air at high rpm and foaming the oil. I wouldnt run it.
9.03 @ 149mph
8.95 @153 small shot n2o
8.68 @160mph 5lbs boost

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 20, 2012 08:29 AM        
You can order a cut pan from OSR and he will cut your pickup to the correct length.

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 20, 2012 01:52 PM        
quote:
You can order a cut pan from OSR and he will cut your pickup to the correct length.

...and he's a really cool guy to deal with also I might add. He's there for you in case any questions arise like you have now. Call OSR before you run that bike. Please.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 05:05 PM        
I already have a lowered pan, I just didn't get the shortened pick-up with it. That was left up to me to modify...and so far I've failed Good thing they're cheap lol. At least now I have a template with the old pick-up to gauge how much to cut the new one. Will make it much easier I think. I'm going to try and check to see what the clearance is stock pick-up/stock pan, and just mimic that for the lowered pan. I'll let you guys know the numbers when I'm done......that way maybe someone else can benefit from my mistakes lol.
I knew this would turn into a pita, thats why I just ran the stock pan for so long. I didn't even order the chopped pan, it was included in my turbo kit by mistake. I just figured once I had it might as well use it.

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted May 20, 2012 06:45 PM        
quote:
I already have a lowered pan, I just didn't get the shortened pick-up with it. That was left up to me to modify...and so far I've failed Good thing they're cheap lol. At least now I have a template with the old pick-up to gauge how much to cut the new one. Will make it much easier I think. I'm going to try and check to see what the clearance is stock pick-up/stock pan, and just mimic that for the lowered pan. I'll let you guys know the numbers when I'm done......that way maybe someone else can benefit from my mistakes lol.
I knew this would turn into a pita, thats why I just ran the stock pan for so long. I didn't even order the chopped pan, it was included in my turbo kit by mistake. I just figured once I had it might as well use it.

Not many here have ran into this, we got them from OSR.
Like said above, give him a call and he will be more than happy to help you with it

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Think I cut my oil pick-up too short for chopped pan NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.672902822495 seconds processing time