HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Crazy's Flys Go Bye-Bye! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2012 12:19 PM        
Crazy's Flys Go Bye-Bye!

Pulled the secondaries on the 14R. HA! I'm surprised this much fun hasn't been outlawed yet Given that I'm still at stock wheelbase, it is fun that demands considerable respect though. But aside from the extra boost in the lower range, you'd never know anything was different - still rides, idles, and sounds the same. Just some 411 for anyone thinking about doing it . . .

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2012 01:33 PM        
I can imagine.....I know it made a HUGE diff on my first gen. I bet that 14R has the low end thrust from hell now
  Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2012 02:32 PM        
quote:
I can imagine.....I know it made a HUGE diff on my first gen. I bet that 14R has the low end thrust from hell now

I think pulling 'em makes a bigger difference on the Gen1 - my '06 was a night and day change below 6k rpm. But without a doubt, the 14R gives a really clear wake up call in the lower gears sans flys.

Ignore this member   
LandSpeed

Parking Attendant
2012 ZX-14R / Blue
posted May 18, 2012 04:21 PM        
What did the "operation" involve in terms of removal of parts, time, aggravation, etc.......?

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 18, 2012 05:02 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 19 May 2012 01:02
quote:
What did the "operation" involve in terms of removal of parts, time, aggravation, etc.......?

I have done so many i have a zipper on them .. I can install a PC and pull the flies in 3 hours start to finish with a smoke break and a root beer .. I can do the Gen 1 a little faster , about two hours with a smoke break and a soda ..lol.. If you have never done it , it will take you a Sat or Sunday to do it ... Just don't rush it , take your time ..

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2012 08:28 PM        
quote:
quote:

I have done so many i have a zipper on them .. I can install a PC and pull the flies in 3 hours start to finish with a smoke break and a root beer .. I can do the Gen 1 a little faster , about two hours with a smoke break and a soda ..lol.. If you have never done it , it will take you a Sat or Sunday to do it ... Just don't rush it , take your time ..

Yeah, Lee's the man so what he said! However, I had mine pulled from a performance shop. I'm ok with a wrench, but I stripped a screw on the Gen 1 when trying to remove them myself - maybe I didn't heat the screws up enough or have the optimal screwdriver - regardless, I ended up putting it back together and bringing it to the shop (Sims). So this time around, I decided to let Sims do it again. If I was more mechanically inclined, I would have tried it again myself. Oh well, now I just have to worry about staying on the bull

Ignore this member   
shotgun15

Novice Class
posted May 18, 2012 08:28 PM        
quote:
Pulled the secondaries on the 14R. HA! I'm surprised this much fun hasn't been outlawed yet Given that I'm still at stock wheelbase, it is fun that demands considerable respect though. But aside from the extra boost in the lower range, you'd never know anything was different - still rides, idles, and sounds the same. Just some 411 for anyone thinking about doing it . . .

Sooo...PCV not needed?

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 18, 2012 08:43 PM        
I know that the PCV isn't "needed" with just an exhaust on the 14R, and (at least with Brock's), the same mapping is used with flys in/out. So logic would lead me to believe that yes, you can get away with it. However, I do have a PCV and have had it since the exhaust swap, but the guys on here that ran 'before and after' will tell you the bike runs smoother / better with a PCV.

Ignore this member   
sands

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 10:01 AM        
That's nice to know...When I test rode the new 14r I thought the low end (4,000 rpm and lower) would be huge but I was disappointed...Good to know it's just the flys.

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 11:19 AM        
quote:
That's nice to know...When I test rode the new 14r I thought the low end (4,000 rpm and lower) would be huge but I was disappointed...Good to know it's just the flys.

Yep,14....14R.... Both make a big difference with flys out in the low range.

Ignore this member   
dogg24

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 01:33 PM        
I know everyone says use a #2 screwdriver, but another option I used was a number 1 with the tip ground down so the end was flat and it fit like it was made for those screws.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 20, 2012 01:38 PM        
quote:
quote:

Can i say it ? please please , pretty please ...?

Ok i'll say it anyway .... I TOLD YOU SO ...lol

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 01:40 PM        
Crap! I thought we were going to be able to skip the 'fly removal on the '12. I reckon not. All righty, then: 'flies and ECU reflash left to do.
  Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 04:06 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can i say it ? please please , pretty please ...?

Ok i'll say it anyway .... I TOLD YOU SO ...lol

LOL!!

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 04:13 PM        
quote:
Crap! I thought we were going to be able to skip the 'fly removal on the '12. I reckon not. All righty, then: 'flies and ECU reflash left to do.

With the potential for the bike to go into "protection mode", removing them on the 2012 is more important than ever for those of us classified as performance junkies

Ignore this member   
imoXu

Parking Attendant
posted May 20, 2012 11:49 PM        
All this talk of flies has got me curious.

Essentially it boils down to this.

Is there any reason I wouldnt want to remove my flies?

Unless the answer is somethign I have to worry about the next question is how to I do it? Or should I get my mechanic to do it at the 6000Km service, due in a week or two

Thanks
moX

Ignore this member   
zoldar

Novice Class
posted May 21, 2012 12:29 PM        
quote:
I know everyone says use a #2 screwdriver, but another option I used was a number 1 with the tip ground down so the end was flat and it fit like it was made for those screws.

use a JIS screwdriver....not a phillips

Ignore this member   
Kaw Man

Expert Class
posted May 21, 2012 02:38 PM        
Crazy when r u going back to track.
  Ignore this member    Click here to send Kaw Man an AIM message. 
kaw-rick

Pro
posted May 21, 2012 02:54 PM        
just pulled mine, crazy throttle response now. the screws came out very easy also. i geuss ill have to slip into another track somewhere to see if it helps.
  Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 21, 2012 03:44 PM        
quote:
Crazy when r u going back to track.

On Wednesday.

Ignore this member   
Greggy

Expert Class
posted May 24, 2012 02:19 AM        
Crazy have you had any issue, glitches or error codes with the 14R since pulling the flys and no doubt getting some miles on her in that configuration?

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger and get my flys removed too but don't want to run into a fault.

Greggy

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted May 24, 2012 04:46 AM        
Yep, I'm pulling mine. Am I also to understand adding a TRE008, in addition to removing the 'flies, will kill the "protection mode" for the R? Or is it one or the other?
  Ignore this member   
drewzx-14

Zone Head
Andrew
posted May 24, 2012 05:01 AM        
Have you experienced a significant difference in fuel economy since you have pulled your flies?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit drewzx-14's homepage. 
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted May 24, 2012 08:59 AM        
quote:
Crazy have you had any issue, glitches or error codes with the 14R since pulling the flys and no doubt getting some miles on her in that configuration?

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger and get my flys removed too but don't want to run into a fault.

Greggy[/quote

quote:
Have you experienced a significant difference in fuel economy since you have pulled your flies?

No issues, glitches, codes, etc. Just don't bend the bar they're attached to and you should have no problems.

I haven't ridden enough with them out to tell about the mpg.

Ignore this member   
Bishopzx12

Zone Head
posted May 24, 2012 11:40 AM        
Anyone clsoe to the SC area that may pull mine when i get it
2000 ZX12R 1270
2002 GSXR 1000 "I was Drunk"
2003 ZX12R 1375
2006 ZX14
2012 ZX14R

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Crazy\'s Flys Go Bye-Bye! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21958184242249 seconds processing time