HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: coolant bottle boiling over?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
tking

Novice Class
posted May 15, 2012 07:49 PM        
coolant bottle boiling over??

I'm having an issue and looking for some insight. 08 zx14 heats up pretty quickly but doesn't actually over heat but does get to 5 bars within 5 minutes but when I shut it off, the overflow fills up and pukes out of the tube, when it cools down it pulls the coolant back in from the resivoir

Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted May 15, 2012 08:05 PM        
Could be a lot of things... 5 bars is running too hot that is what it wants to overflow... Could be faulty thermostat ... Does the fan work??

Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 15, 2012 08:07 PM        
yes fan comes on at 4 bars
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Expert Class
Old Drag Racer
posted May 15, 2012 08:17 PM        
Yours is running too hot unfortunately. Mine too so you're not alone. Make sure your radiator fins are not plugged up with anything. I'm going to take my thermostat out this week to buy me some time before the bike heats up. I'm also going to install a second fan and you may have to do the same as well. I'm even going to put on a ZX10 front fender as soon as money avails itself.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 15, 2012 08:19 PM        
It started doing it the other day at the track after a few runs.
  Ignore this member   
dakota9498

Pro
posted May 15, 2012 08:26 PM        
Must be a closed thermostat, it shouldn't be running that hot that quick. With the short time it is taking to get to five bars and the pressure afterwards, the thermostat would be my best guess. Hope you get it fixed, let us know how it turns out.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 15, 2012 08:39 PM        
Question ? did you have the bike apart for any reason before this happened ?

Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 15, 2012 08:40 PM        
Milled the head a couple months ago, nothing since then.
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 15, 2012 08:44 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 16 May 2012 03:45
quote:
Some thing you might want to Check .. I did this myself and had the same problem as you ... If you look there are two hoses going to the rad cap .. One is and over flow and the other is a by pass to the engine .. I had them switched and it ran hot every pass and when i turned it off in the pits it puked water out of the coolant tank ... Might not be the problem but it's worth a look see ..

Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 15, 2012 08:51 PM        
quote:
quote:
Some thing you might want to Check .. I did this myself and had the same problem as you ... If you look there are two hoses going to the rad cap .. One is and over flow and the other is a by pass to the engine .. I had them switched and it ran hot every pass and when i turned it off in the pits it puked water out of the coolant tank ... Might not be the problem but it's worth a look see ..

lol, I had that problem when it first went back together. Was fine for 2 months then at the track the other day it was bike night so not a lot of people there but of course not a lot of traction either. 4 passes within an hour and it puked the coolant, let it cool for an hour and ran it again and all was fine. Ran 3 passes in a row and it did it again so called it quits for the night. Rode it to Brocks to have it tuned today which is less than a 5 minute ride and it was at 5 bars and was puking in the parking lot. So I took it back home

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 15, 2012 08:58 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol, I had that problem when it first went back together. Was fine for 2 months then at the track the other day it was bike night so not a lot of people there but of course not a lot of traction either. 4 passes within an hour and it puked the coolant, let it cool for an hour and ran it again and all was fine. Ran 3 passes in a row and it did it again so called it quits for the night. Rode it to Brocks to have it tuned today which is less than a 5 minute ride and it was at 5 bars and was puking in the parking lot. So I took it back home
well it was worth a shot I have milled a few head on zx14s and never had a problem with over heating .. I guess it's possible that you pushed a head gasket into a water jacket causing a build up pressure in the cooling system .. Zx14 just don't seem to have head gasket problems other than big boost or a lot of spray , even then it's rare .. Check you stat first , if that is ok do a leak down or compression check ..

Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 16, 2012 08:29 AM        
Pulled the head off this morning and I don't see it blown but there are places where it looks like the head wasn't really touching and I didn't notice before but the cut on the head seems to be kind of a rougher finish than I usually see, feels like a record with my nail against it?
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 16, 2012 12:47 PM        
quote:
Pulled the head off this morning and I don't see it blown but there are places where it looks like the head wasn't really touching and I didn't notice before but the cut on the head seems to be kind of a rougher finish than I usually see, feels like a record with my nail against it?
I should be a very fine cut, no cutting marks , book calls for a smooth cut ... could be not sealing because of that..

Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 16, 2012 03:09 PM        
Well I took it to the machine shop and they said that it also need exhaust valve guides? This motor has 7k miles on it and was untouched until 2 months ago. So looks like its going to get a valve job too, Should I have them sink the valves in .030 and mill another .030 off the head while I'm at it and at least get a little more power out of it?
  Ignore this member   
Newjack

Parking Attendant
posted May 16, 2012 08:42 PM        
Sounds like the roughness area (RA) was too high. On my turbo motors I would lap them with 1000 grit wet sandpaper if the surface was too rough from the machine shop. You can get a mirror polish if so desired with a little elbow grease. On a less than smooth surface, copper spray helps too but is a bitch to clean off next HG change.
  Ignore this member   
tking

Novice Class
posted May 20, 2012 04:05 PM        
Well I head a completely different head done exactly as mine was except a nice finish. Runs great but gets up to temperature pretty fast and runs at 4-5 bars, after it hits 4 bars the fan comes on and stays hot enough for the fan to stay on?? Not spewing coolant out just yet but I've only rode it 2 times 15-20 minutes each time
  Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted May 20, 2012 08:12 PM        
You need a zx-10 ten fender conversion. It will drop your running temp at least 1 bar plus using engine ice will add cooling efficiancy. You can also add a 2nd fan to increase cooling.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
entropy

posted May 20, 2012 11:03 PM        
a lil test
note the level in the overflow, mark it

heat until fully heat soaked, fan comes on for a bit

note coolant level in overflow, it should have come up a couple inches or so

with motor running, look carefully in the overflow for bubbles
if bubbles, you have a bad HG, if none HG prob good

shut off motor, let motor cool completely and coolant level should fall to exactly were it was before test.

If it falls more than at start, you just got rid of air in the coolant system.

repeat heat cycle until the level before & after is same, then all air is gone.

On my 12 it usually took 3 heat cycles to purge all air; my Busa only 2.

Just a test...

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: coolant bottle boiling over?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.628981113434 seconds processing time