HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Oil & light white vapor out of crank case filter?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 14, 2012 03:50 PM        
Oil & light white vapor out of crank case filter??

I hope I didn't melt a piston, ok stock everything except a beef'ed up fuel system, boost never ran past 8lb "creep" run 6lb boost all day, last week I noticed some white vapor coming out of crank case filter & some oil coated parts of sprocket cover... After a weeks riding there is consireable oil around houses & sprocket cover & on inside of lower fairing also smoking blue smoke out of dump pipe every so often but think that's just scavenger pump, I haven't done a compression text yet. Anyone gone thru this pistons, rings? Thanks guys

Ignore this member   
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted May 14, 2012 03:57 PM        
u didnt over fill with oil did u ? take the drain plug off the frame and see if oil comes out. im thinking your bike is a zx14 correct?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kawpower's homepage. 
davej

Expert Class
posted May 14, 2012 06:54 PM        
Vapor out the crankcase usually is a head gasket. Does your motor crank over smooth or has a catch? If it has a catch or hesitation this could also mean some Nicasil has broke loose off the cyclinder wall. 8lbs. is a lot for stock pistons. 06 and 07 used a different material than 08 on. Tell tale is burning on the pistons toward the intake side. Just opposite of what you'd expect. Also on a rebuild I never reuse bearings, because of end crush. Head and rod bolts are high torque springs that loose strength when reused due to grain breakage. Many have gotton away breaking the golden rules. Resizing rods, if you trust them, is ok. I'm not a pro engine builder so take this advise with a grain of salt.

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 14, 2012 07:15 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 15 May 2012 02:16
thats a bad sign ...i would stop riding it and do a compression test before you eat a set of cases ..

but if you did over fill it with oil it will vent it out from there ..

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 14, 2012 09:19 PM        
Yes zx14, ima open air box and see if it's full of oil, but think its a piston... It never smoked like that before its idling ruff also. Damn it's going to be a little bit before I can get engine freshen'd up with pistons & bearings.. Oh well I'll keep y'all posted

Ignore this member   
Ozonkiller

Expert Class
posted May 14, 2012 10:15 PM        
I say head gasket...
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 14, 2012 11:31 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 15 May 2012 06:31
quote:
Yes zx14, ima open air box and see if it's full of oil, but think its a piston...

just compression or leak down test or both ... it breaks the pocket book or eases the mind

Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted May 15, 2012 03:00 AM        
Easiest signs to pick if you have damaged a piston are uneven cranking, a low comp cyl will spin over faster , and you will be aware something sounds a little different,

another sign , if you remove the crankcase filter, a pulsing breathing vapor, a good motor will have no vapor , and no pulse
Pretty sure with your comments about crankcase vapor , that you have some damage

Compression test does not always pinpoint the problem, , but will confirm if you hear an uneven cranking, better to use a leakdown tester

If it were me and i had suspicions of damage i would just pull the head , too easy to damage the cyls and cost big money to fix , small warning signs may save you some money

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 15, 2012 06:49 AM        
I'm going to park it till I can do a leak down test. Any one know a reputable shop in central Texas that works on our motors & doesent just do routine services for when I have to get into motor?
Thanks guys

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 19, 2012 02:24 PM        
i havent had time to do anything but pull the plugs hear are plugs

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 19, 2012 02:30 PM        
clean one is plug #1 plug 2 & 3 are oily and have plaque like build up on them .......

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 19, 2012 02:32 PM        
oh and there is oil on the nut part of the plug where socket goes after threads???

Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted May 19, 2012 06:18 PM        
You've got problems. Take the head off and have a look.
  Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted May 19, 2012 06:22 PM        
external oil is probably from the cam cover gasket

What is done in the pair valve area ??,
pretty much looks like you have to strip the motor for a piston or 2 but i'm curious if a reed or gasket problem under the cam cover could be allowing exhaust gasses into the cases and or pulling oil from the cam area

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 20, 2012 08:58 AM        
I have the pair valve blocked, I recently had a new valve cover & the 4 little spark plug gaskets changed

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 26, 2012 11:09 AM        
Ok guys I need yalls opinions, I'm going to get into motor soon what should I do to make a safe streetable turbo motor are turbo pistons that necessary it can I just ceramic coat stock pistons, I have a spare set of stock pistons and can just send those to get coated. And does anyone make a thicker head gasket to slightly lower compression, or should I just get the JE 9:5:1 turbo pistons? I ride the bike hard and don't really want to put an inercooler on bike. If I do put low compression pistons how much more boost will I need to run again it's going to be a street bike. If I coat stock pistons and keet it at 7lbs will I cook another set of pistons? Open to all suggestions y'all have bin very helpfull thru all my questions thank oh I'm also going to put a set of 625cc injectors I had laying around and run E85 when available...

Ignore this member   
kawpower

Zone Head
Mr kawasaki 2 you!
posted May 26, 2012 03:06 PM        Edited By: kawpower on 26 May 2012 22:08
Do yourself a favor,and do it once turbo pistons, rods i like crower, send the crank to ape to have it balanced and fluted muzzy oilpump cover,osr balancer shafts,take out the balancers , ape hd valve springs, shnitz 7 inch fan .then u can boost 20 psi on c16 or 12 psi on topgrade pumpgas.and if u want it right call chris jones!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kawpower's homepage. 
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted May 28, 2012 04:31 PM        
I am going to drain the gas tank and put it on stands and just keep puting money aside so I can just knock everything out at one time, pistons, rings, valve springs, injectors & tune, just going to be in a pissed off mood till I get bike back on the road I've bin real iratable lately with my bike down.... God give me patience!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted May 28, 2012 04:51 PM        
Damn ... A tune up is not going to fix that .. I'd get Chris Jones on the phone ... Send the bike to him ... It will come back tunned and safe ..

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 28, 2012 05:07 PM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 29 May 2012 00:07
quote:
I'm also going to put a set of 625cc injectors I had laying around and run E85 when available...

that be 1 of the smartest things you can do ..

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted August 03, 2012 10:32 AM        
I'm planing on putting a set of five-o 625cc injectors do y'all think on boost "7-10lb" & running E85 is big enough? I bought them before I installd turbo, should I sell & get bigger injectors? Thanks and have a safe & great weeknd guys.

Ignore this member   
Oz Booster

Expert Class
posted August 03, 2012 04:30 PM        
there enough for 300hp with a 1:1 reg with e 85

I'm running 565cc injectors with a 1.7:1 reg and tuning with a AEM-FIC
without getting any real "big injector" problems on gas

If you find you want a little more than the 625 injectors can give the Malpassi 1.7:1 reg is a nice compromise between a 1:1 and a FMU , and its a full regulator not like the 3:1 vortec or copys that still need a base pressure regulator

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted September 12, 2012 12:11 PM        
Question is any one runing CP turbo pistons I found a set Pritty cheap.

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted December 19, 2012 01:59 PM        
Well bad news motor is apart and 3 hurt pistons #4 piston almost seized in the cylinder so sleeves will have to get re-coated! Also rod bearings are damn near shot so he will replace them oil screen in pan was clogged, it was detonating prity bad. Bike's in Houston @ Mr turbo will keep y'all posted... Getting JE drop in turbo pistons & his valve springs, new scavenger pump & bigger Injectors installd after it comes back from the cylinders getting fixed!

Ignore this member   
Meangreen14

Expert Class
posted December 19, 2012 08:11 PM        
Ill upload some pics soon

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Oil & light white vapor out of crank case filter?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.730513095856 seconds processing time